Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Multi Printer

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 11:13:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I want to buy a multi printer that will allow me to print, copy and
scan. Unfortunately, I know very little about them.

Any recommendations for brand(s) and model number?

I like the looks and size of some of the Bothers. Any good?

Tks

Wes

More about : multi printer

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:26:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Wesley Felt" <wesfelt@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:19519-423E2DD1-202@storefull-3312.bay.webtv.net...
>I want to buy a multi printer that will allow me to print, copy and
> scan. Unfortunately, I know very little about them.
>
> Any recommendations for brand(s) and model number?

What do you need? Will you want to print and/or copy photographs? How many
prints will you expect to make per month? Do you want an automatic document
feeder? What is your price range?

I use an Officejet 7410. It has camera card slots, an automatic document
feeder, two paper trays, wired and wireless networking, an automatic two-sided
duplexer and fax, copy, scan and print functionality. The printer is
equivalent to the DeskJet 6840. See
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238....

You might also take a look at the other HP offerings. See
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-238....

Regards,
Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:34:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

The most important thing you need to know is you are not getting the
best of breed for each of the functions and that when one of the
functions goes out the device is useless.

It is better to purchase a separate scanner and a separate printer. If
you get an Epson 4180 scanner you can have the read-in for a copy
machine, a scan machine, scanning capability for photos, negatives and
slides. By getting a Canon IP4000 printer you can have a great photo
printer and a more than adequate business printer capable of duplex
(both sides automatically) printing with dual paper feeds. To fax just
get a good software faxing application to use the
Windows one for free.

You can now have all of the same functions as a multifunction device.
Only the space for the scanner is increased. The total cost if you shop
wisely is under $350.00.

Wesley Felt wrote:

>I want to buy a multi printer that will allow me to print, copy and
>scan. Unfortunately, I know very little about them.
>
>Any recommendations for brand(s) and model number?
>
>I like the looks and size of some of the Bothers. Any good?
>
>Tks
>
>Wes
>
>
>
Related resources
March 21, 2005 10:44:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...when one of the
> functions goes out the device is useless.

As a sweeping generalisation--such as you make--this statement is utter
ballocks. It depends entirely on the make/model of the device concerned.

cheers,

Henry
March 21, 2005 10:44:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Wesley Felt <wesfelt@webtv.net> wrote:

> Any recommendations for brand(s) and model number?
>
> I like the looks and size of some of the Brothers. Any good?

I got a Brother MFC-3820CN on sale just after Christmas and have been
totally happy with it so far. We've got an HP LaserJet on the LAN for
workhorse text printing so the Brother is used for (a) FAXing--in and
out; (b) occasional photocopying; (c) occasional text scanning / OCR;
(d) occasional photo scanning (TWAIN); and (e) infrequent photo
printing. Even though it is only a four-ink printer, at 'best' quality
with photo paper the output is magnificent.

cheers,

Henry
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:44:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <1gtrjlt.1mb51w815woxs0N%henry999@eircom.net>,
Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:
>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ...when one of the
>> functions goes out the device is useless.
>
>As a sweeping generalisation--such as you make--this statement is utter
>ballocks. It depends entirely on the make/model of the device concerned.
>
>cheers,
>
>Henry


Model examples ?

It's possible that the upper-end multi's are fixable but the warranty
on HP's entry-level models is "replacement with refurb" only. I don;t
think they even promise to send you the same model. You might bet a
newer model.

Multi's are growing up, but the ones I'd look at seem to be in the
$500-up catagory and they won;t be the chepest cost per page.

PC Magazine just reviewed mulitfunction printers. I think
you can find it here:

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,10,00.asp?kc=364



--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:30:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

It does not take much thinking to realize that if you have one device
with multiple functions and one of the functions goes out, the cost of
repairing the device is not worth it. So you basically loose the cost
of the other device.

Henry wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>>...when one of the
>>functions goes out the device is useless.
>>
>>
>
>As a sweeping generalisation--such as you make--this statement is utter
>ballocks. It depends entirely on the make/model of the device concerned.
>
>cheers,
>
>Henry
>
>
March 21, 2005 7:53:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:

> Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:

> >measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> ...when one of the
> >> functions goes out the device is useless.
> >
> >As a sweeping generalisation--such as you make--this statement is utter
> >ballocks. It depends entirely on the make/model of the device concerned.
>
> Model examples ?
>
> It's possible that the upper-end multi's are fixable.

Where did I say anything about fixable? I was objecting to your man's
absurd claim that 'when one of the functions goes out the device is
useless'. I do not claim to know the specifics of every multi-function
device ever built, which is why I allowed that in some cases that may be
true. However, if the fax-modem fails, does that _necessarily_ mean that
the scanner is useless? Of course not. If the printer clogs and dries
up, does that necessarily mean that the scanner dies along with it, and
the fax? Erm...no. If the scanner bulb burns out, does that
automatically make the printer stop working? Rubbish. Etc., etc.

cheers,

Henry
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 8:03:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Al Dykes wrote:

>In article <1gtrjlt.1mb51w815woxs0N%henry999@eircom.net>,
>Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:
>
>
>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>...when one of the
>>>functions goes out the device is useless.
>>>
>>>
>>As a sweeping generalisation--such as you make--this statement is utter
>>ballocks. It depends entirely on the make/model of the device concerned.
>>
>>
Do the math. Multifunction means 2 or more functions. If one does not
work then the device as a multifunction is relatively worthless. It
does NOT PERFORM the functions you purchased. In the US 1 plus 1 is 2.

>>cheers,
>>
>>Henry
>>
>>
>
>
>Model examples ?
>
>It's possible that the upper-end multi's are fixable but the warranty
>on HP's entry-level models is "replacement with refurb" only. I don;t
>think they even promise to send you the same model. You might bet a
>newer model.
>
>Multi's are growing up, but the ones I'd look at seem to be in the
>$500-up catagory and they won;t be the chepest cost per page.
>
>PC Magazine just reviewed mulitfunction printers. I think
>you can find it here:
>
>http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,10,00.asp?kc=364
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 8:25:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Henry wrote:

>Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>>Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>
>
>
>>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>...when one of the
>>>>functions goes out the device is useless.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>As a sweeping generalisation--such as you make--this statement is utter
>>>ballocks. It depends entirely on the make/model of the device concerned.
>>>
>>>
>>Model examples ?
>>
>>It's possible that the upper-end multi's are fixable.
>>
>>
>
>Where did I say anything about fixable? I was objecting to your man's
>absurd claim that 'when one of the functions goes out the device is
>useless'. I do not claim to know the specifics of every multi-function
>device ever built, which is why I allowed that in some cases that may be
>true. However, if the fax-modem fails, does that _necessarily_ mean that
>the scanner is useless? Of course not. If the printer clogs and dries
>up, does that necessarily mean that the scanner dies along with it, and
>the fax? Erm...no. If the scanner bulb burns out, does that
>automatically make the printer stop working? Rubbish. Etc., etc.
>
>

Ok. Got get a tri function multifunction device. When one function
goes out go get another multifunction device and so on. You may wind up
with 10 multifunction devices. Especially if the same function goes out
more often. Also, if great advances are made in one area it will be
difficult to upgrade that function of a multifunction device.

The ONLY justification for getting a multifunction device is there is
absolutely no space for a scanner and a printer. Nothing else takes up
space as it is inside your computer.

>cheers,
>
>Henry
>
>
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 8:25:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <gsD%d.20828$Pz7.16173@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>Henry wrote:
>
>>Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>...when one of the
>>>>>functions goes out the device is useless.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>As a sweeping generalisation--such as you make--this statement is utter
>>>>ballocks. It depends entirely on the make/model of the device concerned.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>Model examples ?
>>>
>>>It's possible that the upper-end multi's are fixable.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Where did I say anything about fixable? I was objecting to your man's
>>absurd claim that 'when one of the functions goes out the device is
>>useless'. I do not claim to know the specifics of every multi-function
>>device ever built, which is why I allowed that in some cases that may be
>>true. However, if the fax-modem fails, does that _necessarily_ mean that
>>the scanner is useless? Of course not. If the printer clogs and dries
>>up, does that necessarily mean that the scanner dies along with it, and
>>the fax? Erm...no. If the scanner bulb burns out, does that
>>automatically make the printer stop working? Rubbish. Etc., etc.
>>
>>
>
>Ok. Got get a tri function multifunction device. When one function
>goes out go get another multifunction device and so on. You may wind up
>with 10 multifunction devices. Especially if the same function goes out
>more often. Also, if great advances are made in one area it will be
>difficult to upgrade that function of a multifunction device.
>
>The ONLY justification for getting a multifunction device is there is
>absolutely no space for a scanner and a printer. Nothing else takes up
>space as it is inside your computer.
>
>>cheers,
>>
>>Henry
>>
>>


If you get a heavy duty all-in-one that includes a manufacturer's
on-site warranty it's should be servicable and it's good it of meets
the buyer's requirements. As far as I'm concerned the cheap units are
throw-away.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:08:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:gsD%d.20828$Pz7.16173@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

> The ONLY justification for getting a multifunction device is there is
> absolutely no space for a scanner and a printer. Nothing else takes up space
> as it is inside your computer.

You probably have never used a quality all-in-one device. Long ago I used a
scanner and printer, with PC software that allowed it to act as a copier.
These days I use an AIO unit that allows simple, quick one touch copying
without fiddling, and prints great. I certainly would not want to go back....

Regards,
Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
March 22, 2005 11:29:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

wesfelt@webtv.net (Wesley Felt) wrote:

> I want to buy a multi printer that will allow me to print, copy and
> scan. Unfortunately, I know very little about them.
>
> Any recommendations for brand(s) and model number?
>
> I like the looks and size of some of the Bothers. Any good?
>
> Tks
>
> Wes

I don't use many different brand to compare one to other, but I just go
with the cheaper I can find and it has been working well for me for the past
30+ years in computer world.

Right now, I have 2 Brother laser printer. The old MFC-8300 I have been
using for some good years, after many toner refills, DRUM kit replaced once.
The DRUM hit the limitation once again, and since it costs about same (or
more on ebay and some company) to replace the DRUM and Toner catridge. I
bough the Brother HL-1440 for $99 from local store (OfficeMax and Office
Depot sell it for around $100 quite often) just to get the DRUM and Toner
Cartridge (they use the same Drum and Toner).

That's it! I just put the DRUM from new HL-1440 to the MFC-8300 and it
continues to work.

There is a newer model MFC-8700 or MFC-8800 (?) with nicer scanner than
the one I have, which you can find the refurbished for around $230-250 which
sells around $400-500 locally. Check with www.nextag.com for the lowest
price (and photo).
March 22, 2005 11:39:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok. Got get a tri function multifunction device. When one function
> goes out go get another multifunction device and so on. You may wind up
> with 10 multifunction devices. Especially if the same function goes out
> more often. Also, if great advances are made in one area it will be
> difficult to upgrade that function of a multifunction device.
>
> The ONLY justification for getting a multifunction device is there is
> absolutely no space for a scanner and a printer. Nothing else takes up
> space as it is inside your computer.

I don't know why some of you guys often try to find aneasier way to make
thing more difficult. Yes, everything can be possible, but not everything
always happen exactly the same with whatever happens to you or anyone.

Yes, if you have more than one toy then the chance to happen is more than
single toy, and NO even they have multiple options they don't mean to share
the same part except power supply, drum, toner etc.. They don't have lot of
gear, belt, chain like in the old days, but a small circuit-board and few
small chip to do the wonder.

Yes, some MFC with scanner you have to feed the paper like FAX machine
then it has more chance to get jammed, and the newer model with scanner like
regular scanner (Kinko type), then the chance to get jammed is imppossible
(accept the printing part which is part of the printer not scanner).
March 22, 2005 1:49:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have an all in one HP 7110.It is mainly used as a copier,but is also
hooked up to one of my computers.I have a network set up and my main printer
is my color laser printer.I also have a couple of decent scanners,Epson
4870pro and 4990.I do not use my A-I-O to scan photos,nor do I use it as a
photo printer.I have never found an A-I-O that is the equal of the "best"
seperate units,but for the average user,they do very nicely!Desktop space is
not a big problem for me,but it is for many of my clients.I have installed
dozens of these units.I have had the best luck with HP all in one units.I
know,there is one troll that only knows of Canon printers,but I am here to
tell you try all brands.Choose the best on quality,not brand name!
"Wesley Felt" <wesfelt@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:19519-423E2DD1-202@storefull-3312.bay.webtv.net...
>I want to buy a multi printer that will allow me to print, copy and
> scan. Unfortunately, I know very little about them.
>
> Any recommendations for brand(s) and model number?
>
> I like the looks and size of some of the Bothers. Any good?
>
> Tks
>
> Wes
>
March 22, 2005 2:27:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <113vdjnsnbbn944@corp.supernews.com>, bobh@proaxis.com
says...
>
> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:gsD%d.20828$Pz7.16173@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
> > The ONLY justification for getting a multifunction device is there is
> > absolutely no space for a scanner and a printer. Nothing else takes up space
> > as it is inside your computer.
>
> You probably have never used a quality all-in-one device. Long ago I used a
> scanner and printer, with PC software that allowed it to act as a copier.
> These days I use an AIO unit that allows simple, quick one touch copying
> without fiddling, and prints great. I certainly would not want to go back....
>
> Regards,
> Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
>
>
>
Two years ago I bought an HP 750XI and it works great. My husband loves
it because he is hopeless when it comes to using software. With this
machine he can easily make copies anytime he needs one.
--

Cheers!

Jan
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:01:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Wesley Felt wrote:

> I want to buy a multi printer that will allow me to print, copy and
> scan. Unfortunately, I know very little about them.
>
> Any recommendations for brand(s) and model number?
>
> I like the looks and size of some of the Bothers. Any good?

My experiences with Brother laser products - quite good.
I know nothing of their inkjets though, sorry.


I bought a Canon MultiPASS F50 about two years ago.
I'm quite happy with it, though I've only sent two faxes (and received none).
As it has turned out, I use it a little more often as a copier than for any of
its other functions. The software and drivers have been a little disappointing,
but adequate.

From the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere, I expected it wouldn't be possible to
print from the other computers on my network. That even turned out not to be
insurmountable. I just downloaded the drivers for a similar printer-only model
(S630 I think - I went through the Canon support site and determined which one
had the same part number replacement print head) and then I "lied" to my other
computers about the model number when installing it as a network printer.

It uses Canon BCI-3e cartridges, which I think are dye colors and pigment black.
I mostly use it as an office machine, though the handful of digital photos I've
printed (using high quality paper) have been everything I'd hoped for.


Bob
March 25, 2005 5:26:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Bob O`Bob <filterbob@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Wesley Felt wrote:
>
> > I want to buy a multi printer that will allow me to print, copy and
> > scan. Unfortunately, I know very little about them.
> >
> > Any recommendations for brand(s) and model number?
> >
> > I like the looks and size of some of the Bothers. Any good?
>
> My experiences with Brother laser products - quite good.
> I know nothing of their inkjets though, sorry.

I have 2 Brother laser printers, and the reason I got them because it's
cheap and done good job for me. I also have no problem with any printer
(both Inkjet an laser), my other laser printer was Epson Action Laser
Printer with I got somewhere around 10-13 years ago, and just ran out of
toner and the life of the drum, so I threw away.

I was about to buy the refurbished Brother MFC-8700 for around $220 with
free S/H to replace the old MFC-8300 (cuz the newer model has scanner like
regular scanner instead of feeding through roller), but decided to wait for
the old one to die first.
!