Sign in with
Your question

Help: Why is My Computer Freezing at Start-up Logo?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2006 7:04:24 PM

I wasn't sure if I should ask this here or in the EPoX motherboard forum, but this seems to have considerable more traffic. Sorry for the length but I sure could use some help. :? [/b]

I have a new build of only 5 weeks. Motherboard is a EPoX 9NPA+Ultra, OS is Windows XP w/SP2, 2 gigs of PC 3200 Crucial Ballistix in 4x512 configuration at 2T, Athlon 64 3200+; all fans are working, temperature is well within safe parameters, was rock solid until three days ago. In fact, this system had no issues even with the initial first boot whatsoever except Windows conflict with Logitech Optical driver mouse giving Stop ERROR.

3 weeks into this build I did a MemTest86+ with 17 Pass and no errors. I also did a harddrive diagnostic and it read no issues whatsoever.

No overclocking at all and the only time I fiddled with the BIOS was to set the floppy as first boot in order to run the MemTest.

This past weekend we had some severe electrical storms that were to last about 12 hours -- but very few if any materialized in the vicinity of my house. Shutting off the system fully first, I unplugged the power surge supply. When I plugged it back in my screen froze at the start-up logo. It would not boot into Windows. My other computer in the same room on the same circuitry has no issues at all.

I went into the BIOS and set the computer to Fail-Safe Defaults and though it took some time it booted to Windows and I was able to use the PC without an issue. Before going to bed I shut it down, but the next morning it would once again freeze at the Logo.

There are no beeps but neither will my drives load.

I contacted EPoX and they directed me to clear the CMOS which I did according to their instructions. I then loaded the Optimized default settings as per their directions and after it hung for awhile at the Logo it did boot into Windows.

So I decided to restart in order to retest and it decided to freeze at the Logo. I can't even boot now into safe mode.

I got new CMOS batteries just in case but I am wondering if I've got more serious issues here. RAM perhaps? Unfortunately I can't get my boot drives to load so I can't do a MemTest86+.

Today, I again cleared the CMOS and loaded the optimized default settings -- nothing. I tried the Fail-Safe defaults and it takes me to the screen of choosing either safe mode, safe mode with prompt, or normal windows and it woun't go beyond this screen.

Any ideas, guys? I am at a total loss.
June 6, 2006 10:00:21 PM

Check your conections and then see if you can reinstall windows . Sounds like a dodgy harddrive . My sons used to lock up in format at 76 % then take hours to complete . Had to replace drive in the end as it cocked up about every 6 weeks .
!