Problem with USB ports on a Acer TravelMate 4000 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanska

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Hi!

Here's a good one. I have a Acer TravelMate 4000 laptop. Whatever I plug in one of the three USB ports isn't detected. I can hear some noise inside the laptop so something must be happening but nothing that tells me something was detected on a port, not even a message telling me my USB ports are broken.

Everything looks fine in the device manager. I tried reinstalling the USB drivers but it does the same. I tried plugging different USB stuff like an mp3 player, a mouse, a CF card reader to all the different ports but it's still no go.

I even tried booting up using Ubuntu Linux 6.06 to see if it would detect something like a mouse but it didn't do so. Note here that it was working fine on another computer (a PC actually). The three USB ports were listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices but the mouse wasn't listed and wasn't even lighting up.

What else should I try? Apparently it's possible to fix that, so there's gonna be a way somehow to do it, whether it being software or hardware.

Thank you ;)

Spanska

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Thank you for your reply. I forgot to say something about that. There is none. None at all. I still hope there's something to do about it!

Thanks! ;)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If your saying there are no settings in your BIOS for USB settings, that could be your problem. Per the Acer support site, there is a BIOS utility that you can run that will supposedly fix your BIOS. Instructions are to hit the F2 key during startup while the Logo screen is being displayed. I'd also check to see if there are any BIOS updates on the Acer download site. If the BIOS settings for the USB ports got screwed up, the machine will not recognize the USB ports. I found this out one time by playing with the USB settings in the BIOS. :)

Spanska

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I followed your tips and upgraded the BIOS to 3A10 (from 3A06). Still no USB options in the BIOS. USB peripherals are still unrecognized in Windows as well as with the Ubuntu Linux live CD.

Actually, the USB ports seems to be recognized because Windows show me all drivers are working correctly like I said earlier. When I check the "dmesg" messages in Ubuntu, I see lines like "hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1" so I'm gonna check on Google what's this for and see if the same happens on my PC.

Any other ideas? ;)

Thanks

Spanska

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I quickly checked the Microsoft articles. Since I have this problem with Ubuntu Linux as well, it's not a Windows-only problem for sure. The machine is no longer under warranty and all three USB ports were working fine. Actually the laptop isn't mine. When we received it here, we were told everything was working fine before and they suddenly stopped working. So we have no idea what the owner did to those ports before they stop working. One thing's sure, the owner synchronized it's Palm daily using a USB port on the compter.

I actually think it's a hardware issue since almost the beginning but apparently it can be fixed. I did a few things like upgrading BIOS, drivers, using a Linux live CD (which is basicly the same as installing another OS) and I used a PC computer and working peripherals (mouse, Flash card reader) to compare my findings. Everything is pointing towards a hardware problem.

Any other comments are still appreciated ;)

Thanks a lot so far!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The only other thing I can think of is reinstalling Windows. I know you're having problems with other OSs but one thing I've learned over the years fooling around with computers is that sometimes you have to put logical troubleshooting aside and just try stuff. I'd do a clean install, i.e., format the C drive and then install Windows. I's also download all the latest drivers from Acer and put them on a CD. Sometimes just cleaning everything out and starting over fixes problems. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Spanska

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Thank you very much for your help and time! This is really appreciated ;)
I sent an email to Acer a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, I cannot reinstall Windows because of data on the laptop and that the user has to keep it with all it's stuff. Obviously we could backup everything, but anyways. I don't have the permission to do so. Hopefully people from Acer are gonna be able to give me some new stuff to try and an answer about the fact there is no USB setting at all in my BIOS other than "because there is none".

Thank you again ;)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
No problem. If Acer comes up with a solution, let us know if it works. Too bad you can't do a back up and reinstall, curious if that would fix the problem.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
my friend and i also own an acer laptop ( one centrino one amd )

unfortunatly there bios stinks when compared to desktop pc.

are all laptop's bios so creepy ?

when i'm home i post some pics of the bios.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Hey man i also had some problems with my usb port.
It actualy was with my pendrive.

when i inserted my pendrive into the laptop the "found usb device sound was played" and couldn't acess my pendrive.

after some hard work i found out that problem was because of the sofware I installed which creates virtual dvd-roms and one of the dvdroms was using the same root letter of the pendrive and there was conflict. Though to tell u the truth i didn't try other usb devices like a mouse
now its fixed and working fine here is how i got it fixed:

1. disabled the virtual dvd-roms
2. from device manager i uninstalled the pendrive driver
3. reinstall the pendrive
4. enable ur virtual dvdroms if u have any leaving the pendrive attached

bdw what is it an amd or intell ?

Spanska

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Not all BIOSes are like that. I have a Toshiba laptop at home and it has a lot more options in the BIOS.

And for you USB problem, well, I don't even have that screen that tells me something was detected. I can hear some sound but nothing happens on the screen and no device is added in the device manager when something is found.

As for the processor, it's an Intel.

winlin

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I have exactly the same problem with an Acer Travelmate 2354. The USB ports were working when it arrived - but after synching with an aged Jornada, they died. Now I shouldn't say 'died' because Windows says they are still there - but the are totally non-functional. I tried various flavours of linux and not one could get the usb ports to work again. So, as I had a spare HDD, I tried using Acer's rescue disk set - reloaded windows afresh - but no go. I did, incidently, put in a call to Acer - but I haven't had much joy there as they are as silent as the USB ports. I saw one website saying that they might have a solution - but joy of joy - they wanted a subscription - promptly forgot them. Anyhow now I'm using a PCMCIA card with two usb ports - probably that's going to have to last till my next laptop - where I hope I have better luck. I think its its a hardware problem - sounds suspiciously like some sort of blown fuse - but they don't use fuses in these machines - do they? I don't feel inclined to carry the machine in to whever Acer's workshop is - Some toasters make burnt bread - otherwise they work fine.

Spanska

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Well, that's some real bad luck! : I could finally give up after installing a brand new version of Windows XP on a new HDD in this same laptop. I said finally because I knew for sure it was a hardware problem because it wasn't working with a live Linux CD. Obviously, the USB ports weren't working either with this brand new Windows XP installation. I also emailed Acer about the problem but then they replied I would have to call their tech support. Guess what, I did it, but when the guy told me the only thing to do was to send it for repair with a basic price of $499 USD, I totally forgot about it. I wasn't aware there were PCMCIA cards with USB ports. Maybe I should suggest we buy that so the user can still use it for while! Thank you for your reply, this is really appreciated. At least now I know I'm not the only one in the same train.

the_scorpio_187

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Hey all

Got the same stupid problem with my acer travelmate 4000

my usb ports dont work and i dont now what to do

pleas help me i get crazzy around here

thx

:evil: Hate this problem :!:

suzz

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I have the exact same problem with my Acer TravelMate 4000, has anyone actually foun a way to fix it or is the only solution to buy a PCMCIA card?
Suzz

Kalza

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
I have the same problem with Acer Aspire 1682. Guess I'll just buy a PCMCIA card with couple of USB ports then... :?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Just for sh!tz and grins I would check the USB ports with a meter for correct voltage.

Here is a link with reference information:
Universal Serial Bus (USB) - HwB
http://www.hardwarebook.info/Universal_Serial_Bus_(USB)

G

i have the same problem with my acer aspire 5110, the usb ports just went dead. oddly enough, they are still powered. i can still use my laptop cooler on it..

using ubuntu i get the following dumps from dmesg after i connect a device:

[ 239.769453] ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: port 7 reset error -110
[ 239.769503] hub 1-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
[ 239.973430] ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: port 7 reset error -110
[ 239.973471] hub 1-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
[ 240.177411] ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: port 7 reset error -110
[ 240.177442] hub 1-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
[ 240.381418] ehci_hcd 0000:00:13.2: port 7 reset error -110
[ 240.381463] hub 1-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
[ 240.381474] hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 7. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 240.381498] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 7

i'm no expert, but it looks like its fried..

miang

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Hello,
i work as a tech foresome while, and im afraid of acer laptops...
lol.
seriously, everytime i get one in my hands, i am allways expecting the strangest problems..

and now,,, a friend gave-me one, and it has that same problem....
usb hardware is being detected on the os,but, no matter what you plug in, it wont work....

i think its an hardware isue, and not worth to send laptop to acer tech support and pay almost the price of a new lap..

btw, acer support is the worst ive ever seen....

some time ago, we sent some laptops for warranty repair and we ( and our costumers ) waited for ALMOST 5 MONTH!!! , no kidding...
now its a bit fater, but they still are terrible...

for this problem, i guess ill go for pcmcia...

btw, be carefull also with the HP pavillion dv6000 series...
they have the bad habit of going Black ( literally.. the screen dies, graphics card die ) short after the complementary 2 yer warranty..

best regards for all..

wandaud

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I have the same problem with my Acer TravelMate 4000, does a PCMCIA card can fix it? if you sure PCMCIA work, soon as soon posible i want to buy a PCMCIA card
thanks...

G

Same problem on my travelmate 4010.. I plugged in a keyboard that must have shorted it, and I got a message saying something to the effect that Acer is shutting off the usb port due to a power surge, to protect it.

I was glad Acer protected itself, but then for whatever stupid reason, (maybe what I read did not process in my brain at first,) I plugged the keyboard into another port. Same thing happened.

I still did not stop and logically realize that the keyboard caused the shut-down, so then I plugged it into the third port and, you guessed it....

I have yet to find a solution. Everything else works, and of course the usb data "looks like" all is well.

What I do believe , is that there is a way to turn them on again, and Acer knows the secret. They want $2.79 a minute for service though.

Keep in touch folks.. we may find a solution yet...:)

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Same problem on my travelmate 4010.. I plugged in a keyboard that must have shorted it, and I got a message saying something to the effect that Acer is shutting off the usb port due to a power surge, to protect it.

I was glad Acer protected itself, but then for whatever stupid reason, (maybe what I read did not process in my brain at first,) I plugged the keyboard into another port. Same thing happened.

I still did not stop and logically realize that the keyboard caused the shut-down, so then I plugged it into the third port and, you guessed it....

I have yet to find a solution. Everything else works, and of course the usb data "looks like" all is well.

What I do believe , is that there is a way to turn them on again, and Acer knows the secret. They want $2.79 a minute for service though.

Keep in touch folks.. we may find a solution yet...:)

the motherboard needs an electronic repair..

i have had loads of issues with early acers and usbs, also wireless its the 5v power circuit which doesnt chuck out the right ampage ... I think a mofset is the cause of the issue.

vod332

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
there are way too many of us complaining about Acer USB ports for this to all be hardware related.

I can't even boot into Windows if I have a USB flash drive plugged in. The moment I insert one while Windows is running, the whole systems freezes up. I am working on an Acer 5100, with Windows MCE SP3. Clean install.

I also have a similar situation with the built-in webcam. Had to unplug that to even install Windows, now can't plug it in.

Someone must have a solution for this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.