Displaying 2nd screen on laptop

Last response: in Video Games
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2005 10:41:16 PM

I have recently purchased a laptop which I think could also be used for a
second display for FS9. Are there any guides as to how to do this, and what
is it best to display on this screen? I am guessing that guages would be a
good choice.

All help and advice gratefully received.

Rich
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2005 10:41:17 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:41:16 +0000 (UTC), Richard Hardiman wrote:

> I have recently purchased a laptop which I think could also be used for a
> second display for FS9. Are there any guides as to how to do this, and what
> is it best to display on this screen? I am guessing that guages would be a
> good choice.
>
> All help and advice gratefully received.
http://maxivista.com

It works fantastic for displaying gauges and other such stuff on a spare
computer or laptop! Need a network connection, of course...

Bill
August 29, 2005 1:04:33 AM

Create a home network and use Maxivista. Drag to the laptop anything you
want.
See http://www.maxivista.com

"Richard Hardiman" <Richard.Hardiman@btinternet.com> schreef in bericht
news:D et0gc$c5d$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I have recently purchased a laptop which I think could also be used for a
>second display for FS9. Are there any guides as to how to do this, and what
>is it best to display on this screen? I am guessing that guages would be a
>good choice.
>
> All help and advice gratefully received.
>
> Rich

a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 12:52:50 PM

I use Maxivista for my laptop and it allows me to run FSNav on it visible at
all times, so I know where I am. This little program is a delight and good
value for the money. It has recently been upgraded and can, of course, be
used for many other purposes besides flight simming. It truly increases the
size of your main screen, or if you have three screens, provides a fourth!
Sincerely,
Quilljar
August 29, 2005 1:31:41 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:04:33 +0200, "fred" <freddybnl@yahoo.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Create a home network and use Maxivista. Drag to the laptop anything you
>want.
>See http://www.maxivista.com

did ya' see how the spreadsheet was dragged across the two screens!!

-g

>"Richard Hardiman" <Richard.Hardiman@btinternet.com> schreef in bericht
>
>>I have recently purchased a laptop which I think could also be used for a
>>second display for FS9. Are there any guides as to how to do this, and what
>>is it best to display on this screen? I am guessing that guages would be a
>>good choice.
>>
>> All help and advice gratefully received.
>>
>> Rich

August 29, 2005 1:40:32 PM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:52:50 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>I use Maxivista for my laptop and it allows me to run FSNav on it visible at
>all times, so I know where I am. This little program is a delight and good
>value for the money. It has recently been upgraded and can, of course, be
>used for many other purposes besides flight simming. It truly increases the
>size of your main screen, or if you have three screens, provides a fourth!
>Sincerely,
>Quilljar

how does it work..Quilljar? a secondary video card can be used (PCI
w/ AGP primary) to connect a 2nd screen.. however FSNav placed on
the 2nd'ary updates in an un-smooth way.. like a blink or flash.

So.. does Maxi use ethernet port?

It's frankly too hot at this location in the summer for running a lot
of hardware (21" tubes).. but fall season is coming.

Just think.. in years to come...
this `Sim thing' is going to get even better!! :)

-g
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 6:18:29 PM

> how does it work..Quilljar? a secondary video card can be used (PCI
> w/ AGP primary) to connect a 2nd screen.. however FSNav placed on
> the 2nd'ary updates in an un-smooth way.. like a blink or flash.
>
> So.. does Maxi use ethernet port?

Richard gave you the Maxivista website address and there it explains it all.
It is solely a software solution, no cards required. All you need is a
network cable fromj your PC to laptop. There is a wizard in XP to aid you
with this. Make sure you have a two way netork cable.
I am not at all techie, so I am sure anyone can set it up if I can!

--
Sincerely,
Quilljar

if its a pc to pc connection you will need a crossover cable but most
likely you'll be networkd into a router or switch port on a router and
all you need is your basic straight through cat 5 cable.
Cuz if your just pc to pc connection you obviously wouldnt be connected
to the internet ( only to one another) Unless you had multiple network
cards in your computer which most people dont.

Chris
August 30, 2005 2:16:51 PM

On 30 Aug 2005 00:06:34 -0700, "Dude" <chris.holub@gmail.com> brought
the following to our attention:

>if its a pc to pc connection you will need a crossover cable but most
>likely you'll be networkd into a router or switch port on a router and
>all you need is your basic straight through cat 5 cable.
>Cuz if your just pc to pc connection you obviously wouldnt be connected
>to the internet ( only to one another) Unless you had multiple network
>cards in your computer which most people dont.
>
>Chris

Yes indeed.. one of the `gems' of the small-LAN world is the NetGear
5-port 10/100 Ethernet switch. It's made with rugged metal case, is
substantially heavy, and runs cool. I'd not be without TWO of these..
and at 40-bucks have another one stored-away for `future use'!!
or is that `future no longer available'.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=19078...

-g
!