Blue error screen

RyanG

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Hello,

I dont know a whole lot about the internal workings of computers, so bear with me. When I am moving one folder (filled mainly with text files) in to another folder, I get a blue screen that says there was a page fault, and my computer automatically restarts. I have looked through other threads that suggest this may be a RAM problem, but I do not have this problem when I use more memory intensive processes (which suggests to me that it may not be due to RAM issues). Does anyone have any ideas about the root of this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

mpjesse

Splendid
There are a couple things that could be causing it.

First and foremost is memory (as you have already mentioned). To be sure it's NOT memory, download memtest86 and make a boot CD outta it. Run the program before you go to bed and see if it results in any errors.

Second, it could be your chipset. However, this usually only happend with HDD to HDD transfers on VIA chipsts. Are you transfering the files between hard drives?

RyanG

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I had previously run a Memtest with no resulting errors, but had only done it for 30 minutes or so. I will run it for a longer period and see what happens. I am not trying to move files between hard drives - I am just moving files from one folder in mydocuments in to another folder in mydocuments.

Thanks again,

Ryan

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
And when you run MemTest86, go into the "configuration" (hit C) and select "Address Range" (or something like that... ) Then choose the "extended test" or "complete" or whatever it is that tests ALL your memory. (The normal test does a quick scan of most memory; it's always safer to test it all. )

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah killer, you gotta run memtest until it's done. That's why i suggested running it when you go to bed. It'll be done by the time u wakeup... unless you party all night and only get 4hrs of sleep.

I agree with Mr. MPjesse that it is probably memory. However, if that's not the case I have a few ideas for you:

File Corruption? I don't see why this would cause a blue-screen but who knows! Use the built-in windows utilities to do a full "Error-Checking" of that hard drive. Be sure to check "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

Also, like jesse said, it might be a chipset issue, so check for driver and BIOS updates for your mother board.

Good luck.

RyanG

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I have not yet tried the memory check, but I will tonight. However, it seems to me that the problem is not the memory. My computer only crashes when I moved folders around within one specific folder. I can move MUCH larger files around between other folders, with absolutely no problems. Does this suggest that I have corrupt files? If I do, how would I find them (I have already run a disk check, and it found nothing). Also, after the last crash I got an error report that said this problem has been associated with the IBMfilter.sys file. It suggested that I update the recovery & repair program, and I did so - but the problem still exists. Any more ideas??

Thanks,

Ryan

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I guess other questions could help:

1.) What OS are you using? and SP?

2.) How long have you had this system running?

3.) Do you remember if your system crashed and needed to reboot before this started happening?

4.) Have you looked up your bluescreen error on Microsoft site?

5.) Have you tried doing the same copying of files in Safe Mode?

Description to use chkdsk through the gui:

When you open 'My Computer' select your hard drive that has documents folder, right click for properties. Select tool tab. Click on check now, and check both 'Automatically fix the file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'.

Your system will asked to be rebooted. The amount of time it will take might be a good hour or so.

TRENDING THREADS