Sign in with
Your question

Concern over Scratched Core

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2006 11:41:30 PM

Well, my replacement GPU came in today, and I noticed a minor scratch (only visible when light reflects off it at a specific angle) on the GPU core. I must have accidentally scratched it, which pisses me off. Should I be worried about this? Will it decrease overclockability?

More about : concern scratched core

June 6, 2006 11:57:02 PM

What are you trying to do with the video card? new heatsink....or?
June 7, 2006 12:13:52 AM

Quote:
Well, my replacement GPU came in today, and I noticed a minor scratch (only visible when light reflects off it at a specific angle) on the GPU core. I must have accidentally scratched it, which pisses me off. Should I be worried about this? Will it decrease overclockability?

u replaced your GPU, hmm i didnt know u can do that without ripping it off the card

8O
Related resources
June 7, 2006 12:23:58 AM

it might reduce the thermal conductance.. but you probably wouldn't even notice.

just get some arctic silver on it, and it'll be fine. :wink:
June 7, 2006 12:26:21 AM

Quote:

The short answere is "no".
June 7, 2006 12:50:03 AM

Good luck overclocking now.

My answer is as absurd as the question.
June 7, 2006 1:32:21 AM

Ya, I was replacing the stock HSF w/ the Zalman cooler. Thanks for the replies...
June 7, 2006 1:32:57 AM

how well did u clean the GPU?
June 7, 2006 8:20:40 PM

I used some ArcticClean stuff and got everything off it.
June 7, 2006 8:39:38 PM

well enough to scratch it.
August 4, 2006 4:32:34 AM

Hey Same thiing happened to me as well
How well is it running now?
August 4, 2006 8:20:32 AM

It's been running great. I've had it OC'd to 550/1100 on games like COD2 and AOE3. It's also been ATitool stable for over 20 minutes, so I think I'm in the clear.
August 4, 2006 1:16:53 PM

It's great man.
However, for me, the scratch is in the back. The scratch goes across a circuit so I'm not sure if I'm safe. Man it was brand new! If a Lack of a ****ing screw driver cost me another 250 bucks, you may find me in an asylum. I'm still wating for my conroe so I won't know until then. What can I do to that scratch >?????
August 4, 2006 2:30:52 PM

hope its not broken lol. Is the core exposed or does it have a cover
August 4, 2006 2:55:58 PM

Hey shin, you say you scratched the back of the card. Did you cut a trace on the board, or have you just removed the solder mask (the color coating on the PCB). If you can see copper, but it hasn't cut through it you'll be OK, on the otherhand if the trace is cut your screwed. It is repairable, but you need the skill and equipment to do it. You could alway RMA it if you wrecked it and say it arrived that way. Anyway good luck.
August 4, 2006 3:31:32 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I shouldn't have picked up the phone or at least put it down while talking. It was my dad and had to speak to him about tuition next semester, important call.
Anyways, maybe I can upload zoom-in picture of it. The scratch isn't that deep. I hope it's just paint coating also cuz I can only spot it if I really look at it. I can't RMA it now cuz the I change the fan lol If I had to fix it, or someone else do it, where can i go? If it's really screwed.... It's my first build cuz when I configured Dell or Velocity, it came out at least $ 1000 more with less specs!! Bunch of thieves!
August 4, 2006 5:07:29 PM

You need to look at the scratch under a microscope of magnifying glass, if the circuit traces you scratched aren't broken or touching each other it should be okay, if however you gouged through the traces or more than one layer of board material it may not be repairable by a person with the skills to fix broken traces.
August 4, 2006 7:14:17 PM

Don't worry. I put a Zalman VF-700 Cu on my last ATi X800XT. It turned out it was defective (That replacement GPU I talked about earlier I meant as the new gfx card...) I took off the Zalman and put back the stock fan, and RMA'd it. They never even knew, or didn't care! lol.

My suggestion, if it looks bad, contact the manufacturer and tell 'em you don't want to risk frying the gfx card and/or your new setup and get a new one.
August 4, 2006 8:32:09 PM

LOL I just contacted the merchandise and said I was bragging about it to a friend of mine and he spotted the scratch. I put back the original fan and ready to RMA it.
Man i'm back to heaven from hell now.
By the way, any of you can find me a link to that themall paste thing on newegg? There are so many... and I'm first time builder myself. Have to be really really prudent
!