PMDG747 FMC

Last response: in Video Games
August 29, 2005 12:41:06 AM

Anyone else having trouble getting used to it?
It took me long enough to find my way around the FMC in the 737NG and when
I first bought the 747 I was hoping it would have the same FMC as the 737.

No such luck!
I gotta go back to school....since I just botched a flight!

For some reason my bird didn't descend when it was supposed to and
programming a flight is supposed to be the easiest part of working the FMC.

Oh vey!
3 hours of pre-flight planning down the tubes!

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Chance favours the prepared mind.)

More about : pmdg747 fmc

August 29, 2005 12:41:07 AM

You might want to do a serious check on this Marcel.....I believe the
expression is 'Oy Vey'

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Arthur

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Oh vey!
> 3 hours of pre-flight planning down the tubes!
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (Chance favours the prepared mind.)
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:39:26 AM

Marcel,

So you have one also. The 747 FMC is a different manufacturer than the 737
so some of the logic is different.

I think a key point is it only changes altitude when commanded, so changing
the MCP alt doesn't always cut it, you have to click the centre of the alt
button to give it authority to change. Also consider setting the PMDG menu
to pause at TOD to remind you.

THREE HOURS TO PLAN, that must have been detailed. I went to Hong Kong from
Manchester the other day on the back of twenty mins planning. I must be some
kind of cowboy. Actually I only had 3000 LB of fuel left at touchdown so I
may be getting the sack. That's about enough to taxi from the gate at
Schipol.

Regards

Geoff

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Anyone else having trouble getting used to it?
> It took me long enough to find my way around the FMC in the 737NG and when
> I first bought the 747 I was hoping it would have the same FMC as the 737.
>
> No such luck!
> I gotta go back to school....since I just botched a flight!
>
> For some reason my bird didn't descend when it was supposed to and
> programming a flight is supposed to be the easiest part of working the
FMC.

> Oh vey!
> 3 hours of pre-flight planning down the tubes!
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (Chance favours the prepared mind.)
August 29, 2005 3:44:01 AM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:39:26 +0100, GeoffC wrote:

> So you have one also. The 747 FMC is a different manufacturer than the 737
> so some of the logic is different.

Ofcourse I got one!
That's the reason why I never got the 737-800/900.

I compared some pictures on airlines.net and found no difference between
the 737NG and the 747-400 FMCs. And that was the reason for me to buy
PMDG's 747-400.

> I think a key point is it only changes altitude when commanded, so changing
> the MCP alt doesn't always cut it, you have to click the centre of the alt
> button to give it authority to change. Also consider setting the PMDG menu
> to pause at TOD to remind you.

You're right about that, Geoff.
I've never had such a hard time controlling altitudes as I had today.
First of all FSBuild gave me a cruise alt of FL280 for a trip from CYVR to
KMIA. Just after I reached 280 I decided to increase it to at least 350.

I did that the exact same way as I would in the 737NG and to my surprise it
wouldn't move! I used various methods and eventually ened up pressing
something I can't remember and it began to climb.
Then I found out I had an airspeed of Mach 0.80 at FL350!

You know....no disrepect to the guys and gals at PMDG, but this manual they
made is pretty sloppy compared to Metzinger's 737NG manual.
In the Metzinger manual everything is explained in the right order.
In the 747 manual you find the checklists at page 101 when the whole
communication and navigation area hasn't even been covered.
The checklists should have been at the bottom of the manual...chapter 12
type of stuff!

That's right, Marcel...go ahead and blame it on the manual! :-)

But yeah....the TOD pause is a good idea. Thanks for reminding me.
You can tell I'm still in the test phase, like many others, and I can only
afford a few hours in the weekend to study it.

I am pretty darn happy with the "panel state" option. They sure put some
thinking into that one. Oh...and the TCAS works! I like that.
I'm missing some call outs though. I only get "80 knots", but the rest?

All in all....next to my Jeep, it's just about the best money I've spent in
the last 5 years! :-)

> THREE HOURS TO PLAN, that must have been detailed. I went to Hong Kong from
> Manchester the other day on the back of twenty mins planning. I must be some
> kind of cowboy. Actually I only had 3000 LB of fuel left at touchdown so I
> may be getting the sack. That's about enough to taxi from the gate at
> Schipol.

Oh come on now...the overhead in this bird is a little more complicated,
twice the amount of engines and fuellines, more switches and knobs and a
hardly recognizable fire panel.

You must be a better pilot than you had hoped. And to think you never
wanted to cross any oceans in the first place. Already tired of your
Concorde, BTW?

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)

Marcel Kuijper <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> skrev

> I am pretty darn happy with the "panel state" option. They sure put
> some thinking into that one. Oh...and the TCAS works! I like that.
> I'm missing some call outs though. I only get "80 knots", but the
> rest?

You must remember to press the LSK next to V1, Vr and V2 in the FMC. Then
you will have all the call outs. You need to confirm the values computed by
the FMC.

--
Hilsen Thomas
du kan ikke sige du ikke kan svømme før du er druknet...

http://www.broeggerklanen.dk
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:42:02 PM

Hi Marcel,

<Snip> "....and I can only afford a few hours in the weekend to study
it."

I guess it's tough being a Studmuffin - but someone's got to do it,
right? :-))

Regards,
John Ward

> [...]
>> from
>> Manchester the other day on the back of twenty mins planning. I must be
>> some
>> kind of cowboy. Actually I only had 3000 LB of fuel left at touchdown so
>> may be getting the sack. That's about enough to taxi from the gate at
>> Schipol.
>
> Oh come on now...the overhead in this bird is a little more complicated,
> twice the amount of engines and fuellines, more switches and knobs and a
> hardly recognizable fire panel.
>
> You must be a better pilot than you had hoped. And to think you never
> wanted to cross any oceans in the first place. Already tired of your
> Concorde, BTW?
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)
August 29, 2005 1:58:32 PM

Marcel,

Comments as follows:

> I compared some pictures on airlines.net and found no difference between
> the 737NG and the 747-400 FMCs. And that was the reason for me to buy
> PMDG's 747-400.

The entire 737 series use the Smiths FMC and the Big Boeing including the
747 use the Honeywell option. Two entirely different systems except they
have the same number of buttons down the side of the screen. The Honeywell
has got some nice features though like autotuning ILS and a dual fix page to
display rings around two points on the ND.

As you know I bought the Bulfer books for the 737NG and I'm likely to be
ordering the Big Boeing guide now to compliment this one. You should
seriously consider them yourself from http://www.fmcguide.com/ . Not cheap,
but this is one complex simulation.

> I've never had such a hard time controlling altitudes as I had today.
> First of all FSBuild gave me a cruise alt of FL280 for a trip from CYVR to
> KMIA. Just after I reached 280 I decided to increase it to at least 350.
>
> I did that the exact same way as I would in the 737NG and to my surprise
it
> wouldn't move! I used various methods and eventually ened up pressing
> something I can't remember and it began to climb.
> Then I found out I had an airspeed of Mach 0.80 at FL350!

I can make it change altitude but it takes a different techique than the NG,
and at this stage of learning a bit more thinking about. I would be lieing
if I said I fully understood the VNAV cruise alts and step climbs at this
stage, although I can make it climb and descend to meet them, and I did have
almost two gallons of fuel at Hong Kong so I must be doing something right
LOL. I think this point highlights something I've said many times, its hard
to change plane when you're very familiar with a different one, in this case
the NG as you will have reached a point where everything is second nature
and you expect certain things to happen at certain times. Unlike the Airbus
(Probably a point for Oskar) the range of aircraft do not use the same FMC
(FMCDU or whatever the bus drivers call them) logic. The stark difference
between Boeing and Airbus is the reason I have never got on with the latter
and don't even try anymore, they just won't go where I want them to.

> Then I found out I had an airspeed of Mach 0.80 at FL350!

You can change this in the crusie page, unless you have gone into KIAS by
mistake.

> You know....no disrepect to the guys and gals at PMDG, but this manual
they
> made is pretty sloppy compared to Metzinger's 737NG manual.

I don't think Tim is doing one for the 747 as he is not familiar with it. Do
you use the temporary PMDG forum at http://pmdg.forumsplace.com/index.html .
Many tips from other pilots. One of the guys has released a guide at
http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/index.htm if you haven't already seen it.
Its not advanced but will take you from cold and dark and through a flight,
including selecting the take off V Speeds so it will talk to you :-) I
still think the Bulfer book will be your answer here though.

> I am pretty darn happy with the "panel state" option. They sure put some
> thinking into that one. Oh...and the TCAS works! I like that.

The panel state option is brilliant, and yes the TCAS is OK but I had that
in the NG. I have set mine to show all traffic not just the conflicts. It
just makes the screen more interesting.

> Oh come on now...the overhead in this bird is a little more complicated,
> twice the amount of engines and fuellines, more switches and knobs and a
> hardly recognizable fire panel.

More buttons but in a lot of cases its just more of the same for redundancy.
Anyway it give the IRS time to align while you press them and get it
started. The tutorial I mentioned briefly explains what each set of buttons
does.

> And to think you never wanted to cross any oceans in the first place.
Already tired of your Concorde, BTW?

I haven't flown it for a while, but as you may know I was all for deleting
FS completely a few weeks ago (And find something else to waste my time on)
after months of PC performance issues. It was finally tracked down to dust
related heat on a P4 which causes the thing to become a pocket calculator.
I still wouldn't describe me as a long haul fan as such its just that you
need to try long heavily loaded flights in the 747 to see it doing
everything, such as step climbs etc. The Manchester to Hong Kong was
preferable to Mancheter KJFK as I had time to get it up to cruise have a
good nights sleep, come down stairs, get breakfast and then think about the
descent. JFK is a bit too close for that.

On the subject of Concorde I was on the flight deck of a real one a couple
of weeks ago. As you probably know we have one here in Manchester at the
aviation viewing park. Here are some pics straight of the camera so some
maybe rubbish http://www.whatthelenssaw.co.uk/flightdirector/concorde...
.. The young lady in the pictures including the pilots seat is my daughter.

Anyway Marcel, keep at it, the 747 is a cool add on for anyone interested in
flying heavy metal. I'm glad I waited for it now and didn't buy the Level D
767 although I'm sure its a good addon also.

Regards

Geoff

> [...]
from
> > Manchester the other day on the back of twenty mins planning. I must be
some
> > kind of cowboy. Actually I only had 3000 LB of fuel left at touchdown so
> > may be getting the sack. That's about enough to taxi from the gate at
> > Schipol.
>
> Oh come on now...the overhead in this bird is a little more complicated,
> twice the amount of engines and fuellines, more switches and knobs and a
> hardly recognizable fire panel.
>
> You must be a better pilot than you had hoped. And to think you never
> wanted to cross any oceans in the first place. Already tired of your
> Concorde, BTW?
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)
August 30, 2005 2:46:28 AM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:30:36 -0400, Arthur wrote:

> You might want to do a serious check on this Marcel.....I believe the
> expression is 'Oy Vey'

You're very right.
I caught that the day after I posted it, hoping no one else would notice.

Then came Arthur....who holds the same first name as Arthur Conan Doyle,
the wisest of all detective writers and somewhat a Shakespeare in his own
time. ;-)

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(That's no moon...it's a space station!)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:42:02 +1000, John Ward wrote:

> <Snip> "....and I can only afford a few hours in the weekend to study
> it."
>
> I guess it's tough being a Studmuffin - but someone's got to do it,
> right? :-))

Well you know JayDub....it ain't easy being me, mate!
:-))

Plus it's summer here....you *do* remember what a single bloke's summer
looks like, don't you? ;-)

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Chance favours the prepared mind.)
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:55:33 AM

On 29 Aug 2005 05:51:05 GMT, Broegger wrote:

> You must remember to press the LSK next to V1, Vr and V2 in the FMC. Then
> you will have all the call outs. You need to confirm the values computed by
> the FMC.

I did that, Hilsen.
It's just like in the 737NG.
I must have missed something else, which is why I need to take a much
closer look at the FMC chapter in the manual.

I'm not ashamed to say that I skipped right over it...I noticed the
difference in layout and extra buttons when it was too late.

But it's okay! IRL it takes pilots much much longer to get familiar with
all the systems in a 747-400 cockpit. The fact that I got it to fly the
flightplan is a big step, since I programmed it from memory.

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Mmmmmm.....beer and doughnuts. - Homer Simpson)

Hi Studmuffin,

<Snip> "...Plus it's summer here....you *do* remember what a single
bloke's summer
looks like, don't you? ;-)"

Well, I'll admit it's been a long time - almost 12 months! :-)

Let me take a peak out the window - strewth, a little rain, at long
last, and only a lousy 24* today. Still, it's nearly Spring, and I suppose
I'll soon have to start trudging off to Noosa Heads, or Burleigh Heads, just
to see how all the girls are shaping up.

It'll be tough, mate, but someone's gotta do it!

Regards,
John Ward

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:42:02 +1000, John Ward wrote:
>
>> <Snip> "....and I can only afford a few hours in the weekend to study
>> it."
>>
>> I guess it's tough being a Studmuffin - but someone's got to do it,
>> right? :-))
>
> Well you know JayDub....it ain't easy being me, mate!
> :-))
>
> Plus it's summer here....you *do* remember what a single bloke's summer
> looks like, don't you? ;-)
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (Chance favours the prepared mind.)
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:58:18 AM

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:03:39 +1000, John Ward wrote:

> Let me take a peak out the window - strewth, a little rain, at long
> last, and only a lousy 24* today. Still, it's nearly Spring, and I suppose
> I'll soon have to start trudging off to Noosa Heads, or Burleigh Heads, just
> to see how all the girls are shaping up.

Yes sir...it's not easy being a man, is it? :-)

> It'll be tough, mate, but someone's gotta do it!

You need to wear a cape!

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(...travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:52:19 +1000, John Ward wrote:

> http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=72014

Ooooh....very snazzy!

> http://www.fscloud9.com/php/projects.php?lang=EN&id=78

I read about that a few weeks ago.
I'm still not sure whether or not I would ever buy it (after all it's only
one city), but if all cities with international airports looked like this
it would make the airliner flights a lot more realistic.

> Dad flew in the Concorde many times, and thought it was amazing. His
> Company paid.

If someone paid for me I'd think it was amazing too. :-)

> I still remember, on my one trip to England, how he couldn't understand
> how I wanted to see the Spitfires, rather than a Concorde (or mock up? )
> that you could walk through, and inspect the workings of, in great
> detail......

I'd rather see the Spits too.
But there is one thing about the Concorde that is exciting: the shape!

That huge delta, those powerful engines, the nose that can poke your eye
out....it's sorta like the SR-71, but with beverage trays. :-)

I just had a thought....can you imagine eating lasagna and garlic bread in
the cockpit of an SR-71 at Mach 3?
You'd be digesting your food faster than you can chew it!

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(I've got a baaad feeling about this.....)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:32:43 +0100, GeoffC wrote:

> Yeah I like the Virgin livery, however I quite fancy the PIA one that
> someone is doing as I see them flying from EGCC everyday, albeit not in the
> 400 series, and more often these days in the 777.

PIA is simple, but not very exciting.

This is definately the ugliest livery imaginable: http://tinyurl.com/8v289

> You are just mentioning active camera to wind me up aren't you LOL. I have
> another post today explaining my problems with AC, needless to say the money
> is staying in the bank for the moment. Actually I was using the free F1view
> module http://atr.flight1.net/atr_downloads.asp.

I use F1View too, but I could have sworn your view was wider than mine.
More wide-angle.

> Tweaking FSUIPC, I've not got the pay version and never really touched it.
> You are no doubt ahead of me on that one.

Well I recently purchased the key, because it has lots of usable options,
but mostly because I'm about to purchase a 4-engine throttle quadrant and
it needs to function next to the yoke.
Plus I want to get a second joystick some day for flying helicopters and
maybe even fighterjets. Multiple controllers can only co-exist with a
registered FSUIPC. There might be tweaks in there for the 747, but I won't
know that until I read the FSUIPC manual (which I printed out).

> What can the Bulfer manuals give you? These PMDG sims are so good that they
> reproduce a huge amount of the real functions. The Bulfer manuals are
> written as a quick ref guide for real pilots and will really give you a
> detailed understanding of the FMC, with worked examples. Personally I like
> reference material and these are better than anything you will see from PMDG
> or any of their fans. Or to put it another way, where do you think I used to
> get my smart answers on the 737 from? It's your choice, but they are worth
> having. The first page would have given you a potted history of the
> Honeywell FMC (The other did for Smiths) and avoided that little mistake :-)

Clever!
Okay okay....you got me. It's on the list.
I just had a look on the website of the aviation hobbyshop and they still
have them in stock. You weren't kidding....they are really expensive.

Since the 744 is more complexed than the NG, and I'll probably need to use
the FMC more than I ever have, I'll need to know all the little details.
It will definately be a huge improvement over the PMDG manual or my old
PSS747 manuals.

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Q: What do you do when Stormtroopers look for you?

That plane looks like someone threw up on it.

> [...]
worth
> > having. The first page would have given you a potted history of the
> > Honeywell FMC (The other did for Smiths) and avoided that little mistake
:-)

> Clever!
> Okay okay....you got me. It's on the list.
> I just had a look on the website of the aviation hobbyshop and they still
> have them in stock. You weren't kidding....they are really expensive.
>
> Since the 744 is more complexed than the NG, and I'll probably need to use
> the FMC more than I ever have, I'll need to know all the little details.
> It will definately be a huge improvement over the PMDG manual or my old
> PSS747 manuals.
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (Q: What do you do when Stormtroopers look for you?
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 12:43:59 AM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:45:39 +0100, GeoffC wrote:

> That plane looks like someone threw up on it.

I'm just sorry for JayDub. It's his national airline. <g>

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(You've got clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?)

That's why UK airlines don't like passengers who drink too much. In Aus
decorating a whole plane with vomit is a quiet night in.

BTW did you get that pdf I sent you?

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:45:39 +0100, GeoffC wrote:
>
> > That plane looks like someone threw up on it.
>
> I'm just sorry for JayDub. It's his national airline. <g>
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (You've got clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?)
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:04:18 AM

Hi Marcel,

I've seen it in real life, and it doesn't look any better than that
photo'!

It's intended to represent Aboriginal art, and, now that I think about
it, I don't think I have any of that in my collection. :-))

Regards,
John Ward

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:45:39 +0100, GeoffC wrote:
>
>> That plane looks like someone threw up on it.
>
> I'm just sorry for JayDub. It's his national airline. <g>
>
> --
>
> Marcel (SAG-21)
> (You've got clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?)
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 1:31:29 AM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:51:47 +0100, GeoffC wrote:

> That's why UK airlines don't like passengers who drink too much. In Aus
> decorating a whole plane with vomit is a quiet night in.

I think it was done by a Scottish artist who visited every pub on
Edinburgh's Rose Street before he went to work. :-)

> BTW did you get that pdf I sent you?

Just downloaded it, thanks.
I had a quick look. I never realized it was the real deal.
There's plenty of stuff to dive into.
Oh it's getting real now, Geoff. Time to get a uniform and the appropriate
sunglasses....oh and RL flightplans. I still gotta get them somehow.

--

!