Buying a Pigmented inkjret printer - info wanted

At present I have EPson printers R210 and 1270 - Epson have not been a
problem. I would like a pigmented ink printer and has to be at least an
A3 size. As to print long panoramic to sell and for some sort of print
permanence.

My choices are either the 2100 or the 4000 Epsons. The 4000 is more
than twice the price of the 2100.

Does anyone recommend the 2100 and what are the operating cost as
compared to the 4000. or should I just afford the 4000?

TIA

rm
11 answers Last reply
More about buying pigmented inkjret printer info wanted

    "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
    > At present I have EPson printers R210 and 1270 - Epson have not been a
    > problem. I would like a pigmented ink printer and has to be at least an
    > A3 size. As to print long panoramic to sell and for some sort of print
    > permanence.
    >

    > My choices are either the 2100 or the 4000 Epsons. The 4000 is more
    > than twice the price of the 2100.
    >
    > Does anyone recommend the 2100 and what are the operating cost as
    > compared to the 4000. or should I just afford the 4000?

    I like my Epson 2100 but I suspect it would be expensive to run if used a
    lot. If cost is an issue try a CIS.

    Good but old review here..
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/Epson2200.shtml

    Some people printing panorams have hit restrictions on the length of the
    print around 44" on the 2100 and other A3 printers - this appears to be a
    photoshop limit. Others report printing upto 129" from other applications is
    possible on the 2100. Might be worth reading the all the replies to this
    thread for example as there appears to be a solution..
    http://dpnow.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.pl/noframes/read/6477

    In article
    mesa@mine.com (Rob) wrote:

    > I would like a pigmented ink printer

    FYI, pigmented inks are dye inks with added pigments. What you're looking
    for is a pigment ink printer.

    > Does anyone recommend the 2100 and what are the operating cost as
    > compared to the 4000. or should I just afford the 4000?

    I can't comment on comparative running costs, not owning a 4000, but I'd
    certainly recommend the 2100. I get excellent prints from it using
    Hahnemuhle Photo Rag. However, if you want gloss prints, you'd do better
    to look at the R1800 as the 2100 doesn't do those at all well.

    It's also worth noting that the choice of roll paper for the 2100 is
    rather limited. The Photo Rag is available in rolls that fit the 2100, for
    example, but only the 188g/m2, not the 308g/m2 which I much prefer.

    Jon.

    In article
    mesa@mine.com (Rob) wrote:

    > I would like a pigmented ink printer

    FYI, pigmented inks are dye inks with added pigments. What you're looking
    for is a pigment ink printer.

    > Does anyone recommend the 2100 and what are the operating cost as
    > compared to the 4000. or should I just afford the 4000?

    I can't comment on comparative running costs, not owning a 4000, but I'd
    certainly recommend the 2100. I get excellent prints from it using
    Hahnemuhle Photo Rag. However, if you want gloss prints, you'd do better
    to look at the R1800 as the 2100 doesn't do those at all well.

    It's also worth noting that the choice of roll paper for the 2100 is
    rather limited. The Photo Rag is available in rolls that fit the 2100, for
    example, but only the 188g/m2, not the 308g/m2 which I much prefer.

    Jon.

    For price, value, permanence, and print quality, your best bet will
    probably be the Epson R1800 printer. It uses the new Ultrachrome and
    gloss optimizer ink set (red, blue, magenta, cyan, yellow, matte and
    photo black, gloss optimizer), and output is rated at 100-200 years, is
    fast, and the printer costs about $550 US, without taking up your whole
    desk.

    The 2200 is large, but the 4000 is absolutely huge. I couldn't believe
    it's size. It is fast, and allows for several different ink
    configurations, and it save on ink because it uses the large cartridges,
    but your initial outlay is also large, and I suspect soon their will be
    a CIS for the R1800 and larger cartridges made.

    Look into the R1800 before deciding.

    Art

    "Jon O'Brien" <Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com> wrote in message
    > I can't comment on comparative running costs, not owning a 4000, but I'd
    > certainly recommend the 2100. I get excellent prints from it using
    > Hahnemuhle Photo Rag. However, if you want gloss prints, you'd do better
    > to look at the R1800 as the 2100 doesn't do those at all well.

    I get quite good glossy prints using TDK PRO quality Photo Paper in the
    2100. The ink seems to go into that without leaving the surface "textured"
    (eg I don't get some areas matte and others gloss depending on how much ink
    is deposited).

    I gather some printers now have a glossy coating cart but I've not seen how
    well they perform.

    "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
    > At present I have EPson printers R210 and 1270 - Epson have not been a
    > problem. I would like a pigmented ink printer and has to be at least an A3
    > size. As to print long panoramic to sell and for some sort of print
    > permanence.
    >

    > My choices are either the 2100 or the 4000 Epsons. The 4000 is more than
    > twice the price of the 2100.
    >
    > Does anyone recommend the 2100 and what are the operating cost as compared
    > to the 4000. or should I just afford the 4000?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > rm

    Have you investigated the new R1800? Seems to be the one everyone is hanging
    out for at the moment (in an A3 pigment printer) Review in progress here:
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:45:15 +1100, Rob <mesa@mine.com> wrote:

    >At present I have EPson printers R210 and 1270 - Epson have not been a
    >problem. I would like a pigmented ink printer and has to be at least an
    >A3 size. As to print long panoramic to sell and for some sort of print
    >permanence.
    >

    >My choices are either the 2100 or the 4000 Epsons. The 4000 is more
    >than twice the price of the 2100.
    >
    >Does anyone recommend the 2100 and what are the operating cost as
    >compared to the 4000. or should I just afford the 4000?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >rm

    And what about the R1800..??

    Rob wrote:
    > At present I have EPson printers R210 and 1270 - Epson have not been a
    > problem. I would like a pigmented ink printer and has to be at least an
    > A3 size. As to print long panoramic to sell and for some sort of print
    > permanence.
    >

    > My choices are either the 2100 or the 4000 Epsons. The 4000 is more
    > than twice the price of the 2100.
    >
    > Does anyone recommend the 2100 and what are the operating cost as
    > compared to the 4000. or should I just afford the 4000?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > rm

    Thanks for the information I have asked when the R1800 will be released
    here- awaiting a reply - but this seems the choice which I hadn't
    considered.

    Epson are now releasing cheaper printers into there range which is
    making them more accessible to buy (if you can still afford the inks)
    Comparing the 1290 and the 2200 prices the R1800 looks very economical
    to buy - and I must say that the R210 is cheap and does a good job (mine
    has paid for itself just printing to CD's)

    Did read the review of the R1800 where you have to shake the inks to
    stir up the pigment, with the design of the internals how does the
    pigment get onto the paper if it settles, even the sponge must filter it
    let alone the traps in the other cartridges.

    rm

    I have been doing testing with Ultrachrome inks from the R800 for my
    cleaning manual, and have been opening up cartridges, and studying them,
    etc.

    The cartridges have one small filter in them. The ink seems to stay in
    suspension rather well, and keep in mind the head and carriage holding
    the inks are in motion during printing. But the inks really don't
    settle under normal use. I think it's wise to give them a good shake
    before installing them, but I don't think they will settle in normal usage.

    I will tell you this, these inks must have a great deal of glycol in
    them because they take weeks to dry on a non-porous surface, even with
    fairly thin application. I can see why off-gassing in framed prints can
    be a problem.

    Art

    In article <tRE%d.42743$b96.3849307@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
    colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be (CWatters) wrote:

    > I get quite good glossy prints using TDK PRO quality Photo Paper in the
    > 2100.

    I haven't seen any longevity tests on that. What's the estimate?

    > I gather some printers now have a glossy coating cart but I've not seen
    > how well they perform.

    The R1800 is one of them. The reviews are very good.

    Jon.

    > In article <tRE%d.42743$b96.3849307@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
    > colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be (CWatters) wrote:
    >
    > > I get quite good glossy prints using TDK PRO quality Photo Paper in the
    > > 2100.
    >
    > I haven't seen any longevity tests on that. What's the estimate?

    Sorry no idea. The 2 year old prints in the album look ok as do the few of
    similar vintage out of direct sunlight. Not tried leaving any in direct sun.

Printers Epson Peripherals