desperatly need help!! :(

Tom2199

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Hello everyone im really stuck and this is getting me down so please could you people with computer knolledge lend me a hand it will be much appriciated.

I recently built a new pc and the graphics card i bought was a gainward 6800 GS, i was using this in my old pc till the new parts came which included a new power supply, a pretty cheap one at 550Wats

In my old pc i was only running a 360 PSU and the card ran fine which im a bit stumped about. But this was a chieftech PSU

Everything seems to be working at the moment apart from the graphics card, i was having loads of problems installing windows getting disk errors so i had to format the hardrive on the other pc so got all that sorted now...

I only put the graphics card in today and it just isnt working atall, windows is fine but when i go to load up a game like battlefeild 2 half way through loading the map the sound goes slightly crackly and it freezes completly. in installed fear and the intro is so jerky and small cloured squares are everywhere and it freezes on the menu...
tryed some 2D games they also freeze

could this be down to a cheap PSU? here is the link to the one i bought...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-PSU550

the thing i was thinking about was that the requirments say on the box '2 free HDD connectors' which i dont have since this powersupply only came with 4 could this be anything to do with it?

Or is this likley to be my motherboard is faulty? my stats are as followed
P4 3.4ghz 2MB catch 775
Asus P5P800SE MotherBoard
3 sticks of 512 ram, 2 at pc2700 - 1 at pc4000
Gainward 6800 GS AGP

What i also noticed was on the bios my 3.3V under voltage whatever that is, is in red and running at about 2V

if anyone can help thank you so much i have no idea if its the mobo or not since the card was working fine before i changed it.

-Tom

Tom2199

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
thing is it doesnt have enough connectors (only uses a 20 pin motherboard and my board needs the other 4 at the other connector aswell) can someone point me in the direction of a good PSU on ebay? i was looking around and i heard to power a decent card you need about 30A under the 12V

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6889786050&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

because i am running my computer on this PSU is the rest of my hardware potentially at risk? i think ill lay off testing the games till i get a decent one :wink:

thanks for the replys

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
hold it right there my friend..................what RAM did you say you have.....please give details......

your psu is not a problem unless your computer restarts or simply shuts down in app

6800 gs is known to have a driver problem but that is not the case simply update it......

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
using 20 pin atx connector is not a problem my friend expecially if your video card has suplimentary power connector...24 pin atx simply delivers more power like suplimentary 12 and 3.3 volts .......

of course it`s good practice to use 24 pin atx psu..make sure you have plenty of amps on 12volts rail...

Tom2199

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
using 20 pin atx connector is not a problem my friend expecially if your video card has suplimentary power connector...24 pin atx simply delivers more power like suplimentary 12 and 3.3 volts .......

of course it`s good practice to use 24 pin atx psu..make sure you have plenty of amps on 12volts rail...

thank u so much guys everything works fine under my old PSU which is a cheiftech 360 - minumum on the box for the card says 400 so going to get myself a nice 500 thermaltek one

can enjoy the rest of the day now
:D :D :D