Cordless phone not hanging up Sipura SPA 2000

Last response: in Networking
February 27, 2005 10:56:03 AM

Just got a Doro 830r DECT cordless phone to go with my SPA 2000. The
cordless works fine on the Telstra (Australian Telecom) landline. The
Sipura also works fine with a very old Telstra handset, which by the way
is the only phone I have tried with the SPA 2000.

When I use the Telstra phone (wired) the status light goes off on
hanging up and comes on when I pick up the phone off the hook.

When I connect the cordless instead, the status light stays on, whether
I pick up the phone or not. The first time that I press the talk button,
I can get a dial tone and call out, however when I hang up by pressing
the talk button again, the call does not hang up.

Can I set something on the Sipura to make it recognize the hangup from
the cordless?

The manual for the DORO 830R is available at www.doro.com.au under
Customer support.

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:34:16 PM

npne wrote:
> Just got a Doro 830r DECT cordless phone to go with my SPA 2000. The
> cordless works fine on the Telstra (Australian Telecom) landline.
> The Sipura also works fine with a very old Telstra handset, which
> by the way is the only phone I have tried with the SPA 2000.
>
> When I use the Telstra phone (wired) the status light goes off on
> hanging up and comes on when I pick up the phone off the hook.
>
> When I connect the cordless instead, the status light stays on,
> whether I pick up the phone or not. The first time that I press the
> talk button, I can get a dial tone and call out, however when I
> hang up by pressing the talk button again, the call does not hang
> up.
> Can I set something on the Sipura to make it recognize the hangup
> from the cordless?
>
> The manual for the DORO 830R is available at www.doro.com.au under
> Customer support.
>
> Thanks for your help.

What have you got the impedance of the FXS ports in the SPA-2000 set to..?
I don't know what the standard is in Australia, but here in the UK it's
270+750||150nF while the default setting on the Sipura is the US standard
of 600 ohms. Try changing that setting (it's on the regional tab) to your
local standard (your telco should be able to tell you what it is) and see
if that makes a difference.

If not, it may be a fault with your cordless phone.

Ivor
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:09:44 PM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:34:16 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<ivor@despammed.invalid> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>What have you got the impedance of the FXS ports in the SPA-2000 set to..?
>I don't know what the standard is in Australia, but here in the UK it's
>270+750||150nF while the default setting on the Sipura is the US standard
>of 600 ohms.

http://www.maestro.com.au/downloads/docs/mperf.doc

"In 1993 Austel started insisting that subscriber equipment should
present a complex impedance to the local loop instead of the former
purely resistive 600 Ohm impedance. The complex impedance is called
"TN12" and consists of 220 Ohms in series with a parallel combination
of 820 Ohms and 120 nanofarads."

- Franc Zabkar
March 2, 2005 1:34:02 PM

> http://www.maestro.com.au/downloads/docs/mperf.doc
>
> "In 1993 Austel started insisting that subscriber equipment should
> present a complex impedance to the local loop instead of the former
> purely resistive 600 Ohm impedance. The complex impedance is called
> "TN12" and consists of 220 Ohms in series with a parallel combination
> of 820 Ohms and 120 nanofarads."

Have set the impedance of the SPA 2000 fxs port to 220+820||120nF but
that didn't fix the problem.

The problem seems to lie in the coil resistance, as soon as I plug in
the cable of the cordless, the SPA detects off hook condition. As the
ring and tip current is DC, I wouldn't have thought impedance would make
a difference.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:04:36 PM

npne wrote:
>> http://www.maestro.com.au/downloads/docs/mperf.doc
>>
>> "In 1993 Austel started insisting that subscriber equipment should
>> present a complex impedance to the local loop instead of the former
>> purely resistive 600 Ohm impedance. The complex impedance is called
>> "TN12" and consists of 220 Ohms in series with a parallel
>> combination of 820 Ohms and 120 nanofarads."
>>
> Have set the impedance of the SPA 2000 fxs port to 220+820||120nF
> but that didn't fix the problem.
>
> The problem seems to lie in the coil resistance, as soon as I plug
> in the cable of the cordless, the SPA detects off hook condition.
> As the ring and tip current is DC, I wouldn't have thought
> impedance would make a difference.

Sounds like a phone fault then. Try another cordless phone if you can.

Ivor
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:47:50 AM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:34:02 GMT, npne <npne@nowhere.net.cz> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>> http://www.maestro.com.au/downloads/docs/mperf.doc
>>
>> "In 1993 Austel started insisting that subscriber equipment should
>> present a complex impedance to the local loop instead of the former
>> purely resistive 600 Ohm impedance. The complex impedance is called
>> "TN12" and consists of 220 Ohms in series with a parallel combination
>> of 820 Ohms and 120 nanofarads."
>>
>Have set the impedance of the SPA 2000 fxs port to 220+820||120nF but
>that didn't fix the problem.
>
>The problem seems to lie in the coil resistance, as soon as I plug in
>the cable of the cordless, the SPA detects off hook condition. As the
>ring and tip current is DC, I wouldn't have thought impedance would make
>a difference.

With all phones/faxes/modems disconnected, measure the voltage between
tip and ring at the wall socket. After connecting the cordless phone,
this voltage (~52VDC) should not drop appreciably, if at all. If you
now take the phone offhook, this voltage should drop to around 20V.

- Franc Zabkar