Stupid CPU/Mobo Socket 478 Question...

ericatabq

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I'd rather ask this question and get flamed on the forum than burn money buying worthless components.

I mostly know the answer to this but I have read about some MOBOs that needed a BIOS update to support processors even though they fit in the socket (involving the dual cores) so I thought I'd just check to make sure before I bought a motherboard.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1000 a year ago and it failed on me. It's not under warranty anymore (piece of crap) but I figured I'd recycle some of the CPU for a DVR.

It's a Celeron M 2.2 Ghz (478 pin). When I go to the Newegg site it has 478 pin MOBOs but none of them explicitly state they support Northwood or Celeron M processors.

So can anyone say definitively that I can use any socket 478 board for this CPU?

... components have gotten a lot more complicated than they were 4 years ago when I built my last system.

Also, anyone have any thoughts of running this processor for a DVR? I figured it should be enough processing power, but if anyone has personal experiences with it I'd appreciate the advice.

thanks

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I don't think that a 2.2GHz Celeron M exists. The Celeron M is a stripped version of the Pentium M. The highest clocked Pentium M is clocked at 2.26GHz and I am certain that the Celeron Ms don't come close to that speed.

I think you are talking about a Pentium 4 based Mobile Celeron.

In that case I would expect that it should work in any board that supports Prescotts but I am not certain. It might might also work on boards that only support the older Northwoods. You might want to try to find out what chipset the laptop had so that you can be sure which chipsets are compatible.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
2.2GHz Mobile Celeron should work in darned near any Socket 478 board, but you should get one with some overclocking functions. Why? Because it will probably drop to 1.2GHz when installed in a desktop board, mobile processors have several multipliers and the desktop board will use the lowest one.

A Mobile Celeron in a Desktop board, defaulting to 1.2GHz and 400 bus, could do 2.4GHz at 800 bus, hence the desire to use a board with overclocking features.