  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
February 27, 2005 8:56:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.voip (More info?)

Anybody use Talkparade or have any info about it. The $9.99 softphone
service looks inviting. It is new but where does it purchase its service and
what is there backbone like?

More about : talkparade

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:05:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.voip (More info?)

Do you have the URL? I couldn't really find it, just a single Russian
language page. (which I didn't visit.) IPphones use the internet as a
"backbone". You can pretty much acquire a number almost anywhere in the
world which will ring on your PC. Your family across the country can reach
you by dialing a local number, reducing long distance costs.

I use the SJ Labs softphone with good results. I also have used XTen, but
it has not gotten much use lately.
http://www.sjlabs.com/
My service is an add-on to my Vonage service.

If you want to try out a cheap per-minute plan, try
http://www.sipphone.com/
They also have an excellent PC handset at:
http://sipphone.com/accessories/
free peer-to-peer

Also fairly good service and quality using Glophone; easy to use, free
peer-to-peer, they even give new users 30 "anyphone" minutes free.
http://www.glophone.com/

Sound quality largely depends upon your PC sound card unless you buy a
digital USB handset.
for example:
http://www.glophone.com/content/store.aspx
I have both of these handsets. I actually prefer the cheaper phone (the USB
model is well made and very nice quality sound).

I have arthritis and have trouble holding the USB handset without hitting
the dialer buttons. The handset is metal with a nice feel, just difficult
for *ME* to use. I prefer using the softphone dialer as it saves a
directory.

I think the same <cheaper> phone is available from Sipphone. (sipphone item
is a few dollars less and free shipping as recently as Christmas)

Pepperoni

<sunny@comcast.net> wrote in message news:422207b1$1_4@127.0.0.1...
> Anybody use Talkparade or have any info about it. The $9.99 softphone
> service looks inviting. It is new but where does it purchase its service
and
> what is there backbone like?
February 28, 2005 10:59:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.voip (More info?)

www.talkparade.com

What I want is a number that I can use or call forward - with my PC.
Talkparade appears to be providing that at a reasonable price. I just want
to make sure it is not one of those to good to be true deals.

February 28, 2005 10:59:08 AM

<sunny@comcast.net> wrote in message news:4222cd42$1_4@127.0.0.1...

> www.talkparade.com
>
> What I want is a number that I can use or call forward - with my PC.
> Talkparade appears to be providing that at a reasonable price. I just want
> to make sure it is not one of those to good to be true deals.

It seems to be similar to the Vonage service, with which I have been quite
satisfied.

Will they let you use the soft phone without the regular modem? Vonage
markets their soft phone as an add-on service. My (SJLabs) soft phone is so
reliable that I've loaned out my modem to a friend who is currently
traveling so we can stay in touch.

Read the features. It seems to have what you want. I have most of my
features turned off, but everything you need seems to be included. You will
also have a voice mail option that you can likely access from another phone
line, or have forwarded via email.

If you can get the softphone alone for that price, I would jump on it. I
like the service and all the optional features.

Here it is:

"Stand alone service
Unlike other broadband phone companies, we do not require that you use our
Home or Office phone service before you can sign up for our Laptop
SoftPhone. We're sure that once you try our Laptop service, you will switch
to TalkParade for all your calling needs. "

You're gonna love your soft phone. I use mine exclusively at home now.
Even if your PC isn't on 24/7, you can configure your features to serve your
needs.

In the event you do sign on for the phone adapter modem, make sure you save
the box to return the modem at the end:

"Is there any minimum term commitment on the TalkParade calling plans?
All of our plans are month-to-month which means you can change your plan or
terminate our service at any time. You will need to return the TalkParade
Phone Adaptor in its original box in good condition within 14 days of
cancellation otherwise there will be a termination fee of $119."

This is comparable to Vonage, but I believe the charge is a bit higher for
non-return. *SAVE THE BOX FOLKS*

They seem to have Vonage beat on the stand alone soft phone. There *MAY* be
a one time set-up fee (and maybe a free service month), but I did not check
that far into their requirements.

Go for it Sunny. I don't know how they do their billing. Vonage auto
deducts using the debit card (visa) tied to my checking account. There are
no paper bills, but everything is available online immediately. (Vonage)

You will need a headset or handset for best quality. PC speakers will make
feedback (echo) through your microphone. I have used a cheap (free) earbud
with good results.

Pepperoni
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:59:09 AM

Pepperoni wrote:

> Will they let you use the soft phone without the regular modem? Vonage
> markets their soft phone as an add-on service. My (SJLabs) soft phone is so
> reliable that I've loaned out my modem to a friend who is currently
> traveling so we can stay in touch....

Are there other services that can use a "soft phone"?!
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:59:10 AM

"Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Pepperoni wrote:
> >
> > Will they let you use the soft phone without the regular modem? Vonage
> > markets their soft phone as an add-on service. My (SJLabs) soft phone
is so
> > reliable that I've loaned out my modem to a friend who is currently
> > traveling so we can stay in touch....
>
> Are there other services that can use a "soft phone"?!

Yes, lots of them.
Stand alone soft phones:
http://www.sipphone.com/
http://www.skype.com/
http://www.glophone.com/

Glophone has Glo2Go, so you don't need to download software (Java) allows
you to use public PCs, (libraries, etc)

Talk Parade sounds good. They don't require a phone modem to add a soft
phone.

I use the SJLabs softphone with my Vonage service--- works well.
Many also use the XTen software, but I've had some config problems (although
it also works well.)

Sipphone works well, also free peer-to-peer.

I don't use Skype, but folks love it.

Peer-to-peer (friends with the same software) calls are free.
Deposit a few bucks for calling regular phones.

Try out the Glophone with a friend for free peer-to-peer. They even give
you 30 minutes free to call "Anyphone" (regular phone)
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:59:11 AM

Pepperoni wrote:
> "Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>>Pepperoni wrote:
>>
>>>Will they let you use the soft phone without the regular modem? Vonage
>>>markets their soft phone as an add-on service. My (SJLabs) soft phone
>
> is so
>
>>>reliable that I've loaned out my modem to a friend who is currently
>>>traveling so we can stay in touch....
>>
>>Are there other services that can use a "soft phone"?!
>

> Yes, lots of them.
> Stand alone soft phones:
> http://www.sipphone.com/
> http://www.skype.com/
> http://www.glophone.com/
>
> Glophone has Glo2Go, so you don't need to download software (Java) allows
> you to use public PCs, (libraries, etc)
>

> Talk Parade sounds good. They don't require a phone modem to add a soft
> phone.
>
> I use the SJLabs softphone with my Vonage service--- works well.
> Many also use the XTen software, but I've had some config problems (although
> it also works well.)
>
> Sipphone works well, also free peer-to-peer.

Trying to understand here: you have BOTH a TA for your in-house
telephones and a softphone for your computer?

Do you know of any softphone that will work with ATT CallVantage?

> I don't use Skype, but folks love it.
>
> Peer-to-peer (friends with the same software) calls are free.
> Deposit a few bucks for calling regular phones.
>
> Try out the Glophone with a friend for free peer-to-peer. They even give
> you 30 minutes free to call "Anyphone" (regular phone)

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:17:25 AM

> Trying to understand here: you have BOTH a TA for your in-house
> telephones and a softphone for your computer?
>
> Do you know of any softphone that will work with ATT CallVantage?

I don't see it on their site, but for $10 buckies a month you can use
TalkParade. (500 minutes) Check the links near the top of the thread. They
don't care about your phone service, so long as you have broadband. You can
call from the soft phone and ring your ATT line across the room.
http://www.talkparade.com/

My hardware phone modem (Vonage) is "On the road" with a friend. It will
work anywhere there is a cable connection. I use my softphone exclusively
at home. The adapter and softphone have different numbers so they can dial
one another. Location doesn't matter, as addressing is by IP. Either will
work any where in the world where there is an internet connection.

Pepperoni
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:29:13 PM

Pepperoni wrote:
> "Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>>Trying to understand here: you have BOTH a TA for your in-house
>>telephones and a softphone for your computer?
>>
>>Do you know of any softphone that will work with ATT CallVantage?
>

> I don't see it on their site, but for $10 buckies a month you can use
> TalkParade. (500 minutes) Check the links near the top of the thread. They
> don't care about your phone service, so long as you have broadband. You can
> call from the soft phone and ring your ATT line across the room.
> http://www.talkparade.com/
>
> My hardware phone modem (Vonage) is "On the road" with a friend. It will
> work anywhere there is a cable connection. I use my softphone exclusively
> at home. The adapter and softphone have different numbers so they can dial
> one another. Location doesn't matter, as addressing is by IP. Either will
> work any where in the world where there is an internet connection.
>
> Pepperoni

Thanks! I will try to use it with CallVantage!

Tell me about "Deploy your own SIP Network with a FREE SIP
Proxy/Registrar Server and Xten's User Agent software!" ?!?! What does
that mean? - RM
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:54:32 PM

news:o fmdnZXWc4Art77fRVn-jg@comcast.com...

> Thanks! I will try to use it with CallVantage!
>
> Tell me about "Deploy your own SIP Network with a FREE SIP
> Proxy/Registrar Server and Xten's User Agent software!" ?!?! What does
> that mean? - RM

Oh, I suppose it's for developing a private LAN for corporate or
institutional use. I could look it up, but I'm tired. Probably a software
routing program for private voip.
March 1, 2005 5:04:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.voip (More info?)

The thing I like about Talk Parade is that you get a phone number in which
people can call you. Most others are just for outgoing calls unless you
purchase the full service account. For $10 a month you can make lots of LD
calls.

March 1, 2005 5:04:27 PM

<sunny@comcast.net> wrote in message news:42247462$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> The thing I like about Talk Parade is that you get a phone number in which
> people can call you. Most others are just for outgoing calls unless you
> purchase the full service account. For $10 a month you can make lots of
LD
> calls.

Did you sign up? How is the sound quality?

What I like is that the soft phone service can stand alone; my service is
an add-on to another account.

Pepperoni
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:29:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,alt.voip (More info?)

Hi all

Pepperoni wrote:
> I use the SJ Labs softphone with good results. I also have used XTen, but
> it has not gotten much use lately.
> http://www.sjlabs.com/
> My service is an add-on to my Vonage service.

I have tested a lot types of soft phones.
I had also the best results with sjphone.
But where can i buy a G.729 codec? Who
know a source?

jpk
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:29:45 PM

"jpk" <jpk8201@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 0i32e$qea$1@atlas.ip-plus.net...
> Hi all
>
> Pepperoni wrote:
> > I use the SJ Labs softphone with good results. I also have used XTen,
but
> > it has not gotten much use lately.
> > http://www.sjlabs.com/
> > My service is an add-on to my Vonage service.
>
> I have tested a lot types of soft phones.
> I had also the best results with sjphone.
> But where can i buy a G.729 codec? Who
> know a source?
>
> jpk

XTen Pro includes the G-729 codec. The "lite" version does not.

Sipphone sells a "PRO" version for $7.99
http://sipphone.com/softphone/
Setup for Xten Pro was twitchy (auto profile loaded improperly; hand
configuration was successful but tedious)
!