Missing Sndvol32.exe

I've lost sound on my Dell Windows XP home computer. The sndvol32.exe file
isn't recognized even though I can find it in the i386 folder. I don't have
a way to reinstall it from my Dell XP Setup Disk because it only allows a
complete reinstall of the operating system, not selecting individual files.
I can't locate this file on Microsoft's website either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Try this:

"Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an
Error Message When You Try to Add It"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095

"gglines" <gglines.NOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message
> I've lost sound on my Dell Windows XP home computer. The sndvol32.exe
> file isn't recognized even though I can find it in the i386 folder. I
> don't have a way to reinstall it from my Dell XP Setup Disk because it
> only allows a complete reinstall of the operating system, not selecting
> individual files. I can't locate this file on Microsoft's website either.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George

Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the file
and/or cd?
Thanks in advance.

"Touch Base" wrote:

> Try this:
>
> "Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an
> Error Message When You Try to Add It"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095
>

> "gglines" <gglines.NOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I've lost sound on my Dell Windows XP home computer. The sndvol32.exe
> > file isn't recognized even though I can find it in the i386 folder. I
> > don't have a way to reinstall it from my Dell XP Setup Disk because it
> > only allows a complete reinstall of the operating system, not selecting
> > individual files. I can't locate this file on Microsoft's website either.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > George

Hi,

Find the disk, or search your system for an I386 folder to expand a copy
from.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Back Ache" <Back Ache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the file
> and/or cd?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> "Touch Base" wrote:
>
>> Try this:
>>
>> "Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive
>> an
>> Error Message When You Try to Add It"
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095
>>

>> "gglines" <gglines.NOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message
>> > I've lost sound on my Dell Windows XP home computer. The sndvol32.exe
>> > file isn't recognized even though I can find it in the i386 folder. I
>> > don't have a way to reinstall it from my Dell XP Setup Disk because it
>> > only allows a complete reinstall of the operating system, not selecting
>> > individual files. I can't locate this file on Microsoft's website
>> > either.
>> >
>> > Any help would be much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > George

After locating the sndvol32.ex file, what do I type at the command prompt?
file located in - c:\windows\i386\sndvol32.ex_

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Find the disk, or search your system for an I386 folder to expand a copy
> from.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Back Ache" <Back Ache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the file
> > and/or cd?
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > "Touch Base" wrote:
> >
> >> Try this:
> >>
> >> "Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive
> >> an
> >> Error Message When You Try to Add It"
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095
> >>

> >> "gglines" <gglines.NOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Read here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm

Scroll down to section "Volume Control - Error Message" and follow the instructions.

"Back Ache" <BackAche@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78E6614E-F171-46AE-A6D6-7E645CF9F287@microsoft.com...
> After locating the sndvol32.ex file, what do I type at the command prompt?
> file located in - c:\windows\i386\sndvol32.ex_
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Find the disk, or search your system for an I386 folder to expand a copy
>> from.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Back Ache" <Back Ache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the file
>> > and/or cd?
>> > Thanks in advance.

Hi,

From the command prompt (start/run cmd)
C:\>expand C:\windows\I386\sndvol32.ex_ C:\Windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

Or, click start/run msconfig and click 'expand file' on the general tab.
Fill in the blanks as follows:

File to expand: sndvol32.exe
From: C:\Windows\I386
To: C:\Windows\system32