Missing Sndvol32.exe

I've lost sound on my Dell Windows XP home computer. The sndvol32.exe file
isn't recognized even though I can find it in the i386 folder. I don't have
a way to reinstall it from my Dell XP Setup Disk because it only allows a
complete reinstall of the operating system, not selecting individual files.
I can't locate this file on Microsoft's website either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

George
7 answers Last reply
More about missing sndvol32

    Try this:

    "Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an
    Error Message When You Try to Add It"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095

    "Touch Base" <animals@thezoo.com> wrote in message
    > Try this:
    >
    > "Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an
    > Error Message When You Try to Add It"
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095

    That worked. . . thank you very much!!!!

    George

    Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the file
    and/or cd?
    Thanks in advance.

    "Touch Base" wrote:

    > Try this:
    >
    > "Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an
    > Error Message When You Try to Add It"
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095
    >

    > "gglines" <gglines.NOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > I've lost sound on my Dell Windows XP home computer. The sndvol32.exe
    > > file isn't recognized even though I can find it in the i386 folder. I
    > > don't have a way to reinstall it from my Dell XP Setup Disk because it
    > > only allows a complete reinstall of the operating system, not selecting
    > > individual files. I can't locate this file on Microsoft's website either.
    > >
    > > Any help would be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > George

    Hi,

    Find the disk, or search your system for an I386 folder to expand a copy
    from.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Back Ache" <Back Ache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the file
    > and/or cd?
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > "Touch Base" wrote:
    >
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> "Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive
    >> an
    >> Error Message When You Try to Add It"
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095
    >>

    >> "gglines" <gglines.NOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> > I've lost sound on my Dell Windows XP home computer. The sndvol32.exe
    >> > file isn't recognized even though I can find it in the i386 folder. I
    >> > don't have a way to reinstall it from my Dell XP Setup Disk because it
    >> > only allows a complete reinstall of the operating system, not selecting
    >> > individual files. I can't locate this file on Microsoft's website
    >> > either.
    >> >
    >> > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > George

    After locating the sndvol32.ex file, what do I type at the command prompt?
    file located in - c:\windows\i386\sndvol32.ex_

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Find the disk, or search your system for an I386 folder to expand a copy
    > from.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Back Ache" <Back Ache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the file
    > > and/or cd?
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > "Touch Base" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try this:
    > >>
    > >> "Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive
    > >> an
    > >> Error Message When You Try to Add It"
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095
    > >>

    > >> "gglines" <gglines.NOSPAM@cox.net> wrote in message

    Read here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm

    Scroll down to section "Volume Control - Error Message" and follow the instructions.

    "Back Ache" <BackAche@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78E6614E-F171-46AE-A6D6-7E645CF9F287@microsoft.com...
    > After locating the sndvol32.ex file, what do I type at the command prompt?
    > file located in - c:\windows\i386\sndvol32.ex_
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Find the disk, or search your system for an I386 folder to expand a copy
    >> from.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Back Ache" <Back Ache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the file
    >> > and/or cd?
    >> > Thanks in advance.

    Hi,

    From the command prompt (start/run cmd)
    C:\>expand C:\windows\I386\sndvol32.ex_ C:\Windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

    Or, click start/run msconfig and click 'expand file' on the general tab.
    Fill in the blanks as follows:

    File to expand: sndvol32.exe
    From: C:\Windows\I386
    To: C:\Windows\system32

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Back Ache" <BackAche@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After locating the sndvol32.ex file, what do I type at the command prompt?
    > file located in - c:\windows\i386\sndvol32.ex_
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Find the disk, or search your system for an I386 folder to expand a copy
    >> from.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Back Ache" <Back Ache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can't find XP CD-Rom...advice on how to retain a copy of either the
    >> > file
    >> > and/or cd?
    >> > Thanks in advance.

Windows XP Dell Microsoft