Tip for dads: Budget 3.6Ghz game computer for the kids

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I decided to build a rig for my sons as I grew tired to wait for my kids to finish their games on my own computer.

This rig runs an easy 3.6Ghz and has a 12 pipeline graphics card with a HDTV output.

Specs
ASRock Socket LGA775 Dual-880Pro $ 56
Intel D 805 dual core $ 121
Zalman CSPS9500 CPU cooler $ 60
1 Gb PC5400 DDR2 667 Mhz memory $ 90
Aspire X-finity case with 420W PSU $ 60
Samsung T133 300Gb SATA HD $ 98
GeCube X1600Pro 512Mb AGP graphics card $ 136
DVD writer BenQ $ 35
19" CRT monitor $ 180
K/B and mouse $ 48
Total $ 884

This rig is fast!
If you don't like AGP, just throw in a PCI-e card, the Mobo handles both.
Throw in a water cooler and you can increase the CPU to 4+ Ghz.
You might need a bigger PSU and somewhat faster memory to this.
I have no bias towards AMD or Intel, neither biased to Nvidia or ATI.
A computer should do the job, for the least amount of $$$, period.
Who cares what is inside.
Oblivion runs like a charm and my kids are happy. So am I with unrestricted access to my own rig. :wink:

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Wish my dad bought me a computer.

There should be more dads like you. :wink:

Had to work my ass off to pay for my own rig and it's so outdated

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
You're the coolest dad ever. My dad would never give me money to buy computer parts, he would never build me one, and he sure as hell wouldn't overclock it for me.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
You're the coolest dad ever. My dad would never give me money to buy computer parts, he would never build me one, and he sure as hell wouldn't overclock it for me.
Dude, if I get a 100% average in school, my dad will say "Good job, go work your a$$ off you punk, I ain't paying for S**t." Guess I'll have to work my a$$ off like he said. :(If I got 100% in all my classes, and was moved up to 11th grade (I'm in 8th grade now), my dad would tell me congrats. Then I'd tell him that I want a new video card, and he'd remind me of how I still owe him for this CPU, board, and PSU. Once I paid him back for all that, the video card that I want (MSI X800) won't be sold anymore.
Dude, if I get a 100% average in school, my dad will say "Good job, go work your a$$ off you punk, I ain't paying for S**t." Guess I'll have to work my a$$ off like he said. Sad
Are you ever gonna get a new computer to replace your T-Bird junker?

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Thanks for the positive feedback.
My kids are too young to make $$$. So I have then perform duties such as shining shoes, mowing the lawn, polishing the brass, clean the garage, wash the car, help our elderly neighbours etc. And they have to perform at school, nothing short of straight A's. Only then the reward comes.

I have to admit, I made a mistake....I should have given the kids my old computer and keep the newly build for myself. It outperforms my computer which is P4 prescott 3 Ghz with a 6600 Ultra card. No turning back now.

PS
Due to the verbal violence I have read in some of the posts in this forum I was reluctant to post my message; glad to see that nice things can be posted too.
:D

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I have to admit, I made a mistake....I should have given the kids my old computer and keep the newly build for myself. It outperforms my computer which is P4 prescott 3 Ghz with a 6600 Ultra card. No turning back now.
1) There's no such card as a 6600 Ultra. 2) Your kids are probably happy that you didn't give them your computer.

Gavman42

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Did you let them "help" you build it? My dad Built me my first comp( I watched), we built the second, and I built the third(He helped me shop). I really apreciate that now. If not for that I'd prolly be buying a crappy dell for 3x the price.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Haha, my dad has high expectations. He is actually trying to get me graduate early, even though I'm a straight-A student, not a B since elementary school! He needs a new computer, and he is trying to buy some $300 computer. Now that is an insult to me, trying to find the cheapest computer on eBay. So now, he will pay $350 (plus shipping) for the new computer, I'll have to make the other $450... Guess where I'm working? My Dad's Office. So in the end, yes, I have made no profit as the computer will be his, and yes, I'm doing this for my own damn pride.

~Ibrahim~

Gavman42

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
8 is old enough, a 4 year old can hold your tools for you. I don't expect him to put the pieces together, but you can show em how everything hooks together and what part does what.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Dude, if I get a 100% average in school, my dad will say "Good job, go work your a$$ off you punk, I ain't paying for S**t." Guess I'll have to work my a$$ off like he said. :(

dam dude i know how u feel, i had to wait 6 months to get all my stuff

6 freaking months !!!

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but the "ultra" there is just a name. That card is running at stock clocks. Plus, what angry ducky probably meant is that there is no Nvidia chip designated as a 6600 Ultra.
Anyhow a very nice thing to do for your kids, just make sure they don't get addicted to games like I have :wink:
I learned about building computers from a box of extra, outdated (but not antiquated) parts. I fried a mobo/CPU by laying it flat against the inside of a case since I didn't realize mounting brackets were necessary although I figured it out with the next set of mobo/CPU by building it outside of the case. :D

-mcg

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Ok, so your like the best dad ever (next to mine, though he wouldn't buy me a computer) but I'm curious...your topic said "3.6ghz". The 805 cpu is 2.66ghz. :?:

Anyway, if I wan't going to wait for Core 2 Duo this is the system I would build with an Intel 940 CPU.

Best regards!

Eddie

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
8 is old enough, a 4 year old can hold your tools for you. I don't expect him to put the pieces together, but you can show em how everything hooks together and what part does what.

Very true. Its amazing how many people think that the computer is the "box" or even the monitor... :roll:
Best to burst that bubble nice and quick. I remember taking apart my first computer in about 1995, looking at the motherboard, and thinking to myself: all my games are somewhere on that green board... only later did I discover the invention of a hard drive :oops:

-mcg

xwingrogue9

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
My son (16) helped me build "his computer" out of old parts from various upgrades to our Home computer. At least he can somewhat play Battlefield 2 on it. It's an Athlon XP 2400 with a 9800 Pro VC, and 512 Mb Ram. With the wireless G card, he can get good throughput and leaves me free to play Call of Duty 2. :)

I do expect him to get passing grades and do his chores, but he doesn't buy the components.

I will probably get him a new Mobo, VC and CPU next year, and give him my 2 Gbs of Corsair Value Ram, so I can get some faster Ram. :wink:

Asus A8R MVP (replaced a fried AsRock Dual Sata2 :( )
Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego
Powercolor x1900XT
2 Gbs Corsair Value Ram
WD 250 Gb SATA2
WD 160 Gb AtA133
Audigy 2 ZS
Antec Tru Power 2 500W
Sony DVD Burner

COD2 CplPunishment
"Don't bother running, you'll just die tired."

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Ok, so your like the best dad ever (next to mine, though he wouldn't buy me a computer) but I'm curious...your topic said "3.6ghz". The 805 cpu is 2.66ghz. :?:

Best regards!

Eddie

The D 805 is an excellent cpu for overclocking. The people from THG overclocked it to 4.1Ghz, stable on water cooling. Some geeks in Italy overclocked it to 7 Ghz, no typo, on liquid Nitrogen.
For $ 121 you can buy a CPU that rivals in performance a $ 1000+ cpu.

Best bang for the bucks is what I am always looking for. Part of the fun. That's why I purchased the 6600 card, it performs really nice for only $ 125 (8 months ago).

Now I am looking at a geforce 6800 AGP version that can be unlocked for an additional 4 pipelines.

Cheers

gt09

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
thats a nice system for ur kids,

yea i was 13 when my dad built my first comp for me for a birthday(i payed half) now at 15 this summer i am working for my grandparents who own a farm and with about 600(thats alot of hay) going to build a nice budget system for myself with am2

but your 8 year old son could at least get drinks/food/tools for you