Sign in with
Your question

Mouse jerks randomly, tried everything; Motherboard problem?

Last response: in Components
June 7, 2006 10:29:48 AM

My mouse randomly jumps around sometimes whilst I’m moving and it’s very annoying. It’s a PS2/USB mouse and the problem is independent of which connection I’ve used. I’ve tried other mice and the same problem exists.
I‘ve tried fresh installations of XP and 2000 and the problem is there straight after the install, so it’s not as if it’s to do with a particular piece of software causing the issue.
I can only think that there’s something wrong with my motherboard, although the fact that the problem exits for PS2 and USB mice makes me wonder!
Any ideas? I’m about to contact Asus but figured I’d ask around first.
June 7, 2006 11:09:51 AM

If you are using an optical mouse, then it's probably because you have a mouse mat with a lot of bright colours and drawings on it. Try with a single color mouse mat - black or another dark colour.
June 7, 2006 11:18:16 AM

Meyby some electromagnetics waves fucks every mouse U plug in mobo, like when mobile fone know to do.

Is there any device like that near pc?
Related resources
June 7, 2006 11:51:08 AM

Quote:
If you are using an optical mouse, then it's probably because you have a mouse mat with a lot of bright colours and drawings on it. Try with a single color mouse mat - black or another dark colour.
I think you might be right :) 
I’ve just swapped it for one with a lot less colour, so far so good, but the problem is sometimes intermittent, so fingers crossed.
Thank you very much, it was driving me nuts at times.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2006 11:52:00 AM

I would have to go with ibpalle, I think this is a surface problem. I witnessed this kind of problem on glossy, near-white or otherwise very reflexive surfaces. Try changing the mousepad or using one if you didn't.
June 7, 2006 12:08:23 PM

Quote:
I think you might be right :) 
I’ve just swapped it for one with a lot less colour, so far so good, but the problem is sometimes intermittent, so fingers crossed.
Thank you very much, it was driving me nuts at times.

Yeah - it can be tough to figure out if one hasn't seen this before. What did it for me was that I had the same problem with multiple mice on multiple PC's - the only common denominator was the mat - after I swapped it, all was fine.
June 7, 2006 12:17:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah - it can be tough to figure out if one hasn't seen this before. What did it for me was that I had the same problem with multiple mice on multiple PC's - the only common denominator was the mat - after I swapped it, all was fine.
It’s one of those things that seems so obvious once you’ve been told what the problem is. It was the intermittent nature of it that got me, as I just couldn’t imagine what was causing it. Serves me right for buying a cheap mouse mat, or maybe the mice disapproved of the image on the mat, which actually is of a cat :) 
June 7, 2006 12:24:06 PM

Quote:
It’s one of those things that seems so obvious once you’ve been told what the problem is. It was the intermittent nature of it that got me, as I just couldn’t imagine what was causing it. Serves me right for buying a cheap mouse mat, or maybe the mice disapproved of the image on the mat, which actually is of a cat :) 

LOL - That would do it I guess :)  Gets scared once in a while and jumps!
June 7, 2006 2:37:09 PM

Quote:
on a side note, don't forget to clean the lense as well. little bits of dust or hair can make you mouse go a little crazy. also laser mice don't suffer so much from the surface you use. i personally don't use a mouse mat and just use my desk which is a wood grain effect one.

I strongly agree,
last time my mouse went frenzy I noticed that a very small part of dust had been stuck on the lence... nothing an air can can't handle!
too bad i had to smash a heli in battlefield...

i agree, i've had the same problem, but found that simply blowing into the laser hole got rid of the dust, no need for any if this new fancy fangeled city boy stuff called 'air cans'....... we use good old lips and lungs out here in sticks! :wink:
June 7, 2006 2:52:42 PM

Quote:
on a side note, don't forget to clean the lense as well. little bits of dust or hair can make you mouse go a little crazy. also laser mice don't suffer so much from the surface you use. i personally don't use a mouse mat and just use my desk which is a wood grain effect one.

Important note: NEVER touch the lense, with a cloth or otherwise. Always use a can of air.
June 7, 2006 5:09:02 PM

If it is a Logitech, RMA it (If you can not fix it).

My brand new mouse did the same thing and wandered on it's own too. Logitech replaced it with out a fight. I like logitech :p 
June 7, 2006 5:11:09 PM

I've tested the mouse with 2 other mats and so far no jumping. What a relief :) 
June 15, 2006 6:15:23 PM

Quote:

I had to use a pad on my desk because my mouse was wearing through the finish and stain :( 
June 15, 2006 6:17:18 PM

Hey Crow what kind of mouse was it? I don't think you ever mentioned it.
!