Sign in with
Your question

Do i need HDMI to watch bluray/hd-dvd on my computer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2006 12:11:53 PM

Do i need a gfx-card and a monitor with HDMI to watch bluray/hd-dvd movies on my PC? (in FULL quality, no downscaling)
June 7, 2006 12:55:36 PM

thanks!

sounds like good news. btw how do you know if your monitor gfx-card support HDCP?
June 7, 2006 1:04:17 PM

Anything available today doesn't.
Related resources
June 7, 2006 1:05:59 PM

damn... I´ll have to wait then. Next generation cores from ATI and nVidia are sure to have HDMI this fall anyway...
June 7, 2006 2:25:11 PM

The screen you're outputting too also has to have HDCP. Its a chain from the disc drive to the video card to the display device. Thats why its so gay. Those of us who are just fine with our current display get the shaft so the movie companies can be happy. Great philosophy. Fuck the customer, do it our way.

So all of us people with HDTVs capable of displaying 1080p will be fucked when they start implementing HDCP in movies. I don't know about you people, but me and my family don't buy a new TV every few years. We get a good one when we buy it and won't replace it until it dies.
June 8, 2006 1:51:01 AM

you need hdcp compatible devices
June 8, 2006 2:46:04 AM

Quote:
The screen you're outputting too also has to have HDCP. Its a chain from the disc drive to the video card to the display device. Thats why its so gay. Those of us who are just fine with our current display get the shaft so the movie companies can be happy. Great philosophy. **** the customer, do it our way.

So all of us people with HDTVs capable of displaying 1080p will be ****** when they start implementing HDCP in movies. I don't know about you people, but me and my family don't buy a new TV every few years. We get a good one when we buy it and won't replace it until it dies.

Tell you what, HD-DVD has huge potential to win the format war if they drop HDCP. Sony has been so rightwing about HDCP that it might end up costing them the whole shebang. HD-DVD could get a strong foot hold if HDCP is dropped for PC's.

I think that at this point HDCP is a little bit too much. The new encryption scheme (AACS) that's being used in bluray and HD-DVD is incredibly powerful. There's a new key every 5 seconds or some such sh*it. At this stage it would require a supercomputer that no geek has access to to crack the new AACS. I think even DVD Jon is going to have trouble with this one.

Yeah it's possible to capture the video output and completely bypass AACS (which is the reason for HDCP), but I don't think that's likely to really catch on with pirates. It never happened with DVD's and it was possible to do that for years before DVD Jon came along. But who knows...
June 8, 2006 6:11:48 AM

i´m absolutly sure that someone will crack the encryption. The question is when.

Imagine HD-DVD and Bluray used diffrent protection and one of them got cracked. Consumers would favor the cracked one and studios the other. Just another proof that the industry doesn't give a cr*p about the consumers intrest, they don´t even try to understand the situation they´re in.
June 8, 2006 12:45:25 PM

Yeah they're already forming strategies to crack it.

MPJessie I agree with you but with or without HDCP, I think HD-DVD is going to win this format war. I know one thing regardless of the format. I'm going to be pissed if I have to have a damn ethernet cable plugged into my fing DVD player just so I can watch movies that I paid for.
June 8, 2006 12:57:29 PM

Quote:
damn... I´ll have to wait then. Next generation cores from ATI and nVidia are sure to have HDMI this fall anyway...

The core doesn't have it. Its the card manufacturers who have to put it onto the card. Current gen GPUs support HDCP, but card manufacturers have not put the required chip and HDMI port on the card to use it.

Yes next gen DX10 cards will have HDMI ports. Personally I'm not a fan of HDMI. I think DVI and digital audo is fine. Theres too many issues surrounding HDMI. That and they can't seem to agree on the god damn standard, just like Blu-ray. Can anything Sony is involved in get settled anymore?
June 9, 2006 6:47:20 AM

Quote:
technically as long as HDCP isn't required to watch them, i am favouring blu-ray. the reason being HD-DVD can only go as high as 720p or 1080i whilst blu-ray can go up to 1080p. i would rather have that.

seriously? is blu-ray the only format to support 1080p? why bother about hd-dvd then?? :?
June 9, 2006 2:14:02 PM

HD-DVD supports 1080p.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-DVD

Even if it didn't, can you honestly say that you can tell the difference? Unless you're someone whos completely anal about video, you can't. And most people sit about 6-7 feet from their TVs anyway so you definitely can't. All HD cable and satellite signals are currently broadcast in 1080i anyway so that beautiful picture you get is in 1080i, not 1080p.

Also read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

Go down to where it talks about how a 1080i signal can be converted to 1080p using deinterlacing. So really we don't need to have the space and bandwidth required for 1080p to get 1080p. The player or device would just have to have the processing power to do the deinterlacing in real time.
June 9, 2006 2:36:51 PM

I've been checking out the new 1080p sets at Circuit City. I personally can see the difference between 1080i and 1080p. It's not huge, but it's there.
June 9, 2006 3:25:17 PM

Displaying 1080i vs 1080p is a visible difference because of the interlacing, but transmitting 1080i vs 1080p would be no difference.

A quality TV can accept 1080i transmission and convert it to 1080p giving you the same quality display as if it were natively 1080p all along.

HD-DVD disks are encoded in 1080p, but the Toshiba players are transmitting 1080i which is more compatible, and allows the quality TV's to convert to 1080p, and since only high quality tv's can display 1080p, they all should be able to handle the conversion.
!