Problem with non homebuilt compaq presario 5410US

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
I know this isnt homebuilt related, but this is the closest fourm category Icould place it in.

I have a compaq 5410US presario computer. A while back we had some trouble about it missing .DLL's and didnt wana reformat and lose all our stuff. So while I was away someone took a windows xp home retail disk and installed it to the C: windows partition leaving the system restore partition (the way this computer restores is that it uses one cd in conjunction with a restore partition ((D: a partition on the single HDD)) to restore the computer to factory) intact. I dont know where they got the key, it could have been an old one lying around but while it worked it seems that whoever has that key now (may have sold it) has it activated and we cant activate windows or get updates or anything. So I figure simple, just run the restore cd and all will be fine. Well the thing is that these types of computers (pre builts from like HP or DELL) dont ask for a serial when reinstalling windows and for some reason its keeping the old bad key. I tried magic jelly bellys keyfinder to find and change the key, which makes a funny story in itself. The keychanger changed the key, and when I looked up the key with the jelly belly key changer it was the changed one but WPA still sees the old key. Even if I go to activate by telephone and change the key there it still doesnt take.

So I figured it must be keeping something in the C: windows partition (atleast I hope to dear god its not in the system restore and it got overwrote with a new key). I tried to use norton ghost to copy the hard drive but it didnt work quite correctly, anyone have exact steps I should take for trying to clone a HDD in this scenairo?????

If you run the restore disk on a HDD without the recovery partition it just says error contact compaq customer support. I did do something where I cloned just D: to a new hdd and it launched the restore disk but said no user image found use QRCD to restore???

If I install that windows XP home again but with the genuine windows xp product key found on the 5410 computer will it put it where the bad one is, so all I would have to do then is just run the restore disk again and the key would be correct???????

I know a way to solve this is to buy an OEM copy of xp home but I dont want to spend 90$ if possible, could I get a replacement HDD from compaq????

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I know this isnt homebuilt related, but this is the closest fourm category Icould place it in.

I have a compaq 5410US presario computer. A while back we had some trouble about it missing .DLL's and didnt wana reformat and lose all our stuff. So while I was away someone took a windows xp home retail disk and installed it to the C: windows partition leaving the system restore partition (the way this computer restores is that it uses one cd in conjunction with a restore partition ((D: a partition on the single HDD)) to restore the computer to factory) intact. I dont know where they got the key, it could have been an old one lying around but while it worked it seems that whoever has that key now (may have sold it) has it activated and we cant activate windows or get updates or anything. So I figure simple, just run the restore cd and all will be fine. Well the thing is that these types of computers (pre builts from like HP or DELL) dont ask for a serial when reinstalling windows and for some reason its keeping the old bad key. I tried magic jelly bellys keyfinder to find and change the key, which makes a funny story in itself. The keychanger changed the key, and when I looked up the key with the jelly belly key changer it was the changed one but WPA still sees the old key. Even if I go to activate by telephone and change the key there it still doesnt take.

So I figured it must be keeping something in the C: windows partition (atleast I hope to dear god its not in the system restore and it got overwrote with a new key). I tried to use norton ghost to copy the hard drive but it didnt work quite correctly, anyone have exact steps I should take for trying to clone a HDD in this scenairo?????

If you run the restore disk on a HDD without the recovery partition it just says error contact compaq customer support. I did do something where I cloned just D: to a new hdd and it launched the restore disk but said no user image found use QRCD to restore???

If I install that windows XP home again but with the genuine windows xp product key found on the 5410 computer will it put it where the bad one is, so all I would have to do then is just run the restore disk again and the key would be correct???????

I know a way to solve this is to buy an OEM copy of xp home but I dont want to spend 90$ if possible, could I get a replacement HDD from compaq????

Your product key is stored in the registry. Try changing it there. I dont remember the exact key on where it is thouugh. :( Its in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE somewhere.

thewhiteboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Windows XP? If you have another key and want to change your product key, follow these steps. Note that you will be fiddling around in the registry, so before you start changing stuff, I would do a back-up in case you're not confident. I've only done this once btw :?
Anyway, here we go...

1.) Start -> Run -> Regedit
2.) find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/WPAEvents
3.) Edit OOBETimer, remove the FF.
4.) Start -> Run -> type '/oobe/msoobe /a' should bring you to Lets Activate Windows. Choose 2nd option, the telephone. It'll bring you to another screen to enter in your product key.
here's where I don't remember cuz it was a long time ago, and like I said I only did it once 8O
5.) Hopefully you can figure it out... after you're all done, go back to regedit and back to WPAEvents, edit OOBETimer and put the FF back where you deleted it.

Hope this helps, GL :)