Sign in with
Your question

Abit IC7 and Raptor 150 problem

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2006 3:04:44 PM

I have an Abit IC7 MOBO with the latest bios firmware and it does't see the 150 GB Raptor, I tried almost everything. :cry: 
I have a 74 GB raptor and a 160 GB Samsung before, they're both SATA and works flawlessly.
I use a 300 W PSU so there's enough power. I tried the Raptor in other mainboards and the same 300 W PSU so the problem is not from the disk.
Do you have any suggestions?

specs:
3.4 Ghz Northwood 800 FSB(HT off)
Abit IC7
2X1 GB Corsair TwinX DDR 400
74 GB WD Raptor + 160 GB Samsung SATA
Leadtek 6600GT TDH
Creative Live 5.1 Digital
NEC DVDRW
LG CDRW
June 14, 2006 4:45:14 AM

Quote:
I have an Abit IC7 MOBO with the latest bios firmware and it does't see the 150 GB Raptor, I tried almost everything. :cry: 
I have a 74 GB raptor and a 160 GB Samsung before, they're both SATA and works flawlessly.
I use a 300 W PSU so there's enough power. I tried the Raptor in other mainboards and the same 300 W PSU so the problem is not from the disk.

specs:
Abit IC7
Leadtek 6600GT TDH
NEC DVDRW
LG CDRW

I am having the same problem with my Raptor 150 and an Abit IC7-MAX3. Basically no matter what I do, the BIOS will not detect the drive and it will also not detect any other drives connected while the Raptor is plugged in. I posted a thread in the Hard Drives section but now I am thinking it maybe a motherboard problem... hmmmm
June 15, 2006 12:38:09 AM

Yep I have an IC7G same probs

Specs are

P4 Prescot 3.4
6800 Ultra
Maxtor SATA 250Gb
Tagan 550w
2Gb RAM (4x512)

I couldnt make the IC7G detect the Raptor 150gb at all...
When I did force it to detect in Bios and it appeared in bios then I tried to install windows.... windows said it has no HD to install windows onto!

I used the raptor 150Gb as an external HD for a while worked perfectly fine played MP3s etc (A total waste of potential because USB is so dam slow and I would much rather have it for installing windows).

There is nuffink wrong with your raptor its just that the Bios and the IC7G is kinda old and does not recognise raptors
Related resources
July 25, 2006 4:16:09 PM

Just hit this problem today with my IC7. Has anyone noticed though that it IS recognised on SATA 3/4, the Silicon Image PCI chip? You can boot from this - (which I've tried with success) - but you can't do a clean XP install (without a floppy drive) because XP setup can't see SATA 3/4.
July 28, 2006 5:26:32 PM

Quote:

specs:
Abit IC7
Leadtek 6600GT TDH
NEC DVDRW
LG CDRW

I have the same motherboard you have, also with a sata drive(seagate baracuda7200.7) It is a sata 150 drive, of the older spec.

The one that you have I believe is a newer sata 3g type and has a config. setting on the back of the drive for either sata 150 spec. or sata 3g spec.

The first place I would start is by checking that jumper block on the back of the drive to make sure it is in sata 150 operation, since the IC7 G mainboard only supports this spec.

Good Luck.[/list][/u]
August 11, 2006 7:57:18 AM

I just bought a 74GB Raptor and I have the same problem - it is not detected.
August 11, 2006 8:45:00 AM

I have just downloaded and installed the latest BIOS for my IC7. The Raptor was detected when I powered on the computer immediately after the BIOS upgrade. I booted from an XP cd, partitioned and formatted the drive. After the first reboot during the Windows setup the computer got stuck at 'Detecting drives' again. I was unable to make the motherboard detect the drive again and had to revert to my old Seagate. I have tested the Raptor in another machine and it works perfectly.
August 11, 2006 10:17:27 AM

I believe I have found a solution to the problem.

This is what I have done:

1. Installed the latest BIOS
2. Cleared the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard
3. Changed the following BIOS settings from the 'auto' defaults:

SoftMenu Setup > CPU Operating Speed - Set to: User defined
SoftMenu Setup > AGP Ratio: Set to - Fixed

I have now installed Windows on the Raptor and rebooted several times, no problems detecting the drive.
November 13, 2006 5:08:01 AM

Bringing this one back from the dead because I just experienced trauma on this exact issue. Hopefully anyone else having this issue can be helped by this info.

I have a IC7-MAX3 motherboard and just installed a WD Raptor 74GB drive. I installed Windows XP clean on an all SATA system (even dvd drive) and it was a rather big deal. (I think this hardware is starting to get a little krusty)

The SATA port numbering scheme is a little confusing since its sequential SATA1-6 but actually involves two entirely different controllers. SATA1 and 2 are controlled by the "OnChip" Intel IC5HR. SATA3-6 are controlled by the "OnBoard" Silicon Image 3114r SATARaid controller.

Here is what I have surmised (I haven't confirmed any of it yet):
The Raptor uses NCQ (Native Command Queueing) that seems somehow NOT supported by the OnChip IC5HR controller. When I try hooking the drive up to the SATA1 or SATA2 ports on the motherboard, suddenly booting takes 2-5 minutes. The BIOS tries and fails to figure out what was just plugged in. I could not get it to work at all with the OnChip IC5HR controller no matter what the ROM or "Serial ATA Mode" settings were.

However, the SiI3114 chip does seem to support the Raptor. What I did was plug the drive into SATA3 on the motherboard and then go into the BIOS and turn the Integrated Peripherals>>Onboard PCI Device>>SATA RAID ROM to Enabled, and changed the Advanced BIOS Setup>>First Boot Device to "OnBoard SATA". A SiliconImage screen will appear immediately after the normal POST showing the Raptor model number as being detected.

After getting the drive detected, I used the SATA controller driver disk with Windows Setup to install Windows and everything went well.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2009 6:04:12 AM

That forum seems to have been removed by the good people of Abit. Does anyone please have the forum solution in memory? My computer has the same problems as stated above.

What I am trying to set up is the following:
sata1: CD/DVD
sata2: Raptor (OS)
sata:3-6: RAID5

I have been messing around with so many different settings in that BIOS I think it's starting to dislike me.
May 19, 2009 5:00:09 PM

Im having the same problem with a seagate 7200.12 500g sata drive. Works fine with default settings in bios, but when i overclock bios will not detect the drive. this board is useless without being oc'd. i wish that abit had left there forums up.
!