HD wont display in Windows.

scarecrow_tab

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Hey guys,

I decided to upgrade my PC, so I got a new motherboard (asus k8v-mx), CPU (amd 64 3000+) and 512 RAM. (as you probably figured, i'm not big on PC gaming ;P). So I install everything using my old gfx card and two HDD's - a new 200GB Samsung, and my old 80GB Seagate. The 200GB one has Windows XP and most of my files already on it. One prob, it wont load the OS. I searched google a bit and found out that I needed the 'repair the windows installation', so I did that, and it worked great.

Then... well my 80GB HD, the one with aaaall my music on it wasn't showing up in My Computer. However, it does show up in my BIOS. I guess that it's the same deal as was with the main drive, and my music drive isn't digging the new hardware.

Any idea how or if I can get the computer to detect the HD without having to format it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kyman73

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Try heading to Start>Run diskmgmt.msc
and see if windows recognizes your HD, when I installed a new HD on my system that already had windows installed I had to enable it through that menu.

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
You could try to move the drive to another machine to see if it will be recognized there if kyman's idea doesnt work.

One thing I would recommend is when/if you get the HD back up with the music on it is to make a backup. I had a drive with all my music die on me (IBM Deathstar-go figure) and did not have a backup in place. Good thing was that I did transfer it all to another computer the week before (not one of my own). Now I have a backup not only on an external drive, but also on 2 other networked computers at home. It does take up a load of space, but with HDs so cheap, why not. Better to be safe than sorry!!

TM

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Another thing you can try: if your drives are setup for cable select then make sure you are using a cable select IDE cable. Otherwise both drives will be detected as master and will cause a conflict.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
BTW the two problems are unreleated.

When you move XP to a new MB it won't automatically try to find the correct drivers like previous versions of Windows.

If the chipsets are nearly identical (NF4 Ultra & NF4, KT400 & KT333) it may boot normally. If they are similar (Athlon 64 ...) you can usually get away with a repair installation. If they are too different (Athlon 64 to P4) you might have to reinstall the OS.

--

Definately double-check the jumpers because simply moving an 80 GB (P)ATAdrive from one system to another should not pose any problems.

Another posiblity is that at some point the drive had special software installed to overcome the capacity limit of an old MB. That can sometimes casue a drive to be recognized by one system but not another.

scarecrow_tab

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Well, I have the strangest news. The HD just decided to work! I have no idea what did it, but i'm happy :D

Thankyou all for your help! :)