  • Sprint PCS
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
October 13, 2004 7:52:50 PM

Hello friends,

Well, I am considering switching to Cingular from Sprint PCS. Looking
at the coverage maps in Cingular brochure, I find there are large
areas that have no service. Someone told me that GSM in the US is only
18 months old and that in the next 1 year or so almost ALL of the
country will be covered. What do you think, is this likely to be true?

Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Aravind

More about : future gsm cingular coverage question

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:55:27 AM

gsm overall in the US is much older then 18 months. T-mo before they bought
up others, one such as voicestream was gsm in the early 90's, I think it may
even be earlier then that, but unsure. As far as the country be covered,
well, that all depends on towers and who wants to put what up where, maybe
someone else has some more info then me.

Capt.

"Aravind" <aravind_rolands@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello friends,
>
> Well, I am considering switching to Cingular from Sprint PCS. Looking
> at the coverage maps in Cingular brochure, I find there are large
> areas that have no service. Someone told me that GSM in the US is only
> 18 months old and that in the next 1 year or so almost ALL of the
> country will be covered. What do you think, is this likely to be true?
>
> Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.
>
> Aravind
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 1:17:33 PM

Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message news:<f8720cbe37b635cb23161385980148ec@dizum.com>...
> On 13 Oct 2004 15:52:50 -0700, aravind_rolands@yahoo.com (Aravind) wrote:
>

> This is true, but mostly consists of rural areas. Especially bad is large
> areas of Nevada, Arizona, Oregon. Well -- just look at the map here
> <http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GSM_ma...;.

Thanks for replying (Capn too). Well, I don't travel much, may be once
a year. My concern is due to my having to move elsewhere shortly (am
looking for a new job) and I don't want to end up in MT, NV etc, not
even Seattle if I get Cingular though all these places may have
potential job options, I guess.

> CDMA+AMPS. However, much of the coverage issues with AMPS depends on
> whether SprintPCS allows you to roam on other people's towers.

> Not true. GSM has been in the US for far longer than that, but it is not
> as widespread as CDMA+AMPS nor TDMA+AMPS, although the amount of TDMA+AMPS
> coverage/quality goes down each day.

I wonder which of the two sprint uses, CDMA+AMPS or TDMA+AMPS? Why
does the quality/coverage of the latter go down progressively?

> If you can live with most of the populated urban areas of the country
> coverage, the CDMA+AMPS or a GAIT phone gives you the best coverage.

If you don't mind, can you please tell me what is a GAIT phone and who
carries them, service-wise?

Thanks again.

Aravind
October 14, 2004 8:25:07 PM

In <c47d1fd8.0410140817.46848c9b@posting.google.com> on 14 Oct 2004 09:17:33
-0700, aravind_rolands@yahoo.com (Aravind) wrote:

>Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message news:<f8720cbe37b635cb23161385980148ec@dizum.com>...

>> Not true. GSM has been in the US for far longer than that, but it is not
>> as widespread as CDMA+AMPS nor TDMA+AMPS, although the amount of TDMA+AMPS
>> coverage/quality goes down each day.
>
>I wonder which of the two sprint uses, CDMA+AMPS or TDMA+AMPS?

CDMA+AMPS.

>Why
>does the quality/coverage of the latter go down progressively?

TDMA is being converted to GSM.

>> If you can live with most of the populated urban areas of the country
>> coverage, the CDMA+AMPS or a GAIT phone gives you the best coverage.
>
>If you don't mind, can you please tell me what is a GAIT phone and who
>carries them, service-wise?

GAIT phones (on GAIT plans) support GSM+TDMA+AMPS. They aren't being actively
marketed, but can be found on the Internet (e.g., eBay) and then activated on
ATTWS or Cingular.

October 16, 2004 12:43:33 PM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<DLxbd.17276$54.290535@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> >If you don't mind, can you please tell me what is a GAIT phone and who
> >carries them, service-wise?
>
> GAIT phones (on GAIT plans) support GSM+TDMA+AMPS. They aren't being actively
> marketed, but can be found on the Internet (e.g., eBay) and then activated on
> ATTWS or Cingular.

I wonder why people don't get these phones much if this is the case.
They are more expensive? I guess in order to get more coverage one has
to have dual plans from two different providers (ATTWS AND Cingular?)
operating concurrently. It would be more expensive, I think, but still
useful. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Aravind
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:53:35 PM

Jud Hardcastle <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bd859198e4b3a529897d9@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net>...
> In article <f8720cbe37b635cb23161385980148ec@dizum.com>,
> nobody@dizum.com says...
> >
> > This is true, but mostly consists of rural areas. Especially bad is large
> > areas of Nevada, Arizona, Oregon. Well -- just look at the map here
> > <http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GSM_ma...;.
>
> Let me add a big CAUTION here. That map, even though it has been
> recently updated, is NOWHERE NEAR CORRECT. I suspect it either includes
> all TDMA/AMPS roaming partners or at least those partners that have
> agreed to convert from TDMA to GSM--WHETHER THEY'VE CONVERTED OR NOT.
> Guess what--many if not most of the smaller carriers HAVE NOT converted
> yet and many may not even have started testing.
>
> Texas for example has HUGE gaps where that map shows existing coverage.
> I'm talking about lots of patches each a hundred miles across. My guess
> would be that 1/3 to 1/2 of the dark orange really should be shown light
> orange for future coverage. With a few exceptions such as along major
> freeways most (all?) towns under 20000 people and almost all rural areas
> away from a metroplex "zone" do NOT have any GSM coverage yet. If Texas
> is that incorrect I suspect other states are also.

I guess, you are right, Jud. May be the maps are a little exagerated
(spelling?) and takes into account future coverage. I wonder whether
that is due to GSM being relatively new in the US (18 months?); if
that is the case, at the rate at which it is going coverage-wise, at
least according to the map, I guess it has potential to almost
(subjective, with some pockets still with no coverage, mountain tops,
etc, at least, I guess) cover the country in a couple of years,
hopefully. I wonder though.

Thanks again.

Aravind
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 7:37:22 PM

In <c47d1fd8.0410160743.62a78452@posting.google.com> on 16 Oct 2004 08:43:33
-0700, aravind_rolands@yahoo.com (Aravind) wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<DLxbd.17276$54.290535@typhoon.sonic.net>...
>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> >If you don't mind, can you please tell me what is a GAIT phone and who
>> >carries them, service-wise?
>>
>> GAIT phones (on GAIT plans) support GSM+TDMA+AMPS. They aren't being actively
>> marketed, but can be found on the Internet (e.g., eBay) and then activated on
>> ATTWS or Cingular.
>
>I wonder why people don't get these phones much if this is the case.
>They are more expensive? I guess in order to get more coverage one has
>to have dual plans from two different providers (ATTWS AND Cingular?)
>operating concurrently. It would be more expensive, I think, but still
>useful. Am I wrong?

Yes -- ATTWS subscribers may not roam freely on Cingular.