Skype problems with routers and NAT

A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing it
until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC Magazine
dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World), said that
you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a router. He has a
DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing Skype might disrupt his
business through his DLINK router. He has asked me to look into this
matter for him, can you advise me please. I am not technical so the
question posed above is as he explained it to me and my understanding of
it. He obviously uses a network so no doubt someone will understand his
worry and help me to help him be reassured.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing it
> until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC Magazine
> dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World), said that
> you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a router. He has a
> DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing Skype might disrupt his
> business through his DLINK router. He has asked me to look into this
> matter for him, can you advise me please. I am not technical so the
> question posed above is as he explained it to me and my understanding of
> it. He obviously uses a network so no doubt someone will understand his
> worry and help me to help him be reassured.

You must put the Skype between the modem and the router, but that only
impacts the data users. If he has a combined modem/router he has to
change that by disabling the router function and adding another router.
You did not state the router and modem make/type.

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing
> it until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC
> Magazine dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC
> World), said that you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you
> have a router. He has a DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid
> installing Skype might disrupt his business through his DLINK
> router. He has asked me to look into this matter for him, can you
> advise me please. I am not technical so the question posed above is
> as he explained it to me and my understanding of it. He obviously
> uses a network so no doubt someone will understand his worry and
> help me to help him be reassured.

Works ok for me using a Netgear DM602 combined modem/router.

Ivor

In message <ZeidnRC6s-sOWrnfRVn-hQ@comcast.com>, Rick Merrill
<rick0.merrill@gmailNOSPAM.com> writes
>Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
>> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing
>>it until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC
>>Magazine dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World),
>>said that you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a
>>router. He has a DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing Skype
>>might disrupt his business through his DLINK router. He has asked me
>>to look into this matter for him, can you advise me please. I am not
>>technical so the question posed above is as he explained it to me and
>>my understanding of it. He obviously uses a network so no doubt
>>someone will understand his worry and help me to help him be reassured.
>
>You must put the Skype between the modem and the router, but that only
>impacts the data users. If he has a combined modem/router he has to
>change that by disabling the router function and adding another router.
>You did not state the router and modem make/type.
DLINK D1 614plus
--
Derrick Fawsitt

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
> In message <ZeidnRC6s-sOWrnfRVn-hQ@comcast.com>, Rick Merrill
> <rick0.merrill@gmailNOSPAM.com> writes
>
>> Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
>>
>>> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing
>>> it until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC
>>> Magazine dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC
>>> World), said that you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you
>>> have a router. He has a DLINK D1 614plus and he is afraid installing
>>> Skype might disrupt his business through his DLINK router. He has
>>> asked me to look into this matter for him, can you advise me please.
>>> I am not technical so the question posed above is as he explained it
>>> to me and my understanding of it. He obviously uses a network so no
>>> doubt someone will understand his worry and help me to help him be
>>> reassured.
>>

>> You must put the Skype between the modem and the router, but that only
>> impacts the data users. If he has a combined modem/router he has to
>> change that by disabling the router function and adding another router.
>> You did not state the router and modem make/type.
>
> DLINK D1 614plus

Sorry, you DID state the router type... is the Dlink using
firmware version 3.43 ?

Is he placing the Skpe between router and modem?

"Derrick Fawsitt" <46@fitzwilliamonline.com> schreef in bericht
> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped installing it
> until he resolves a particular problem. An article in a UK PC Magazine
> dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was it PC World), said that
> you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if you have a router.

We use Skype over NAT through a software router and use it on multiple PC's
in a business environment. No problems at all.
The only 'problem' that can occur with VoIP and NAT is that it doesn't work.
It will not disrupt your network. As far as I have seen, Skype is very good
in traversing NAT. With SIP you have to jump through hoops to get a reliable
connection.
Regards!
Erwin.

Rick Merrill wrote:

[snip]

> Is he placing the Skpe between router and modem?

What's "the Skype" ..?!

I have had no problem at all running Skype on any PC behind a multitude of
routers/modems, what exactly is the problem here..?

Ivor

EdR wrote:
> "Derrick Fawsitt" <46@fitzwilliamonline.com> schreef in bericht
>> A friend I particularly want to install Skpe has stopped
>> installing it until he resolves a particular problem. An article
>> in a UK PC Magazine dealing with Skype and how to install it, (was
>> it PC World), said that you can have trouble with Skype and NAT if
>> you have a router.
>
> We use Skype over NAT through a software router and use it on
> multiple PC's in a business environment. No problems at all.
> The only 'problem' that can occur with VoIP and NAT is that it
> doesn't work. It will not disrupt your network. As far as I have
> seen, Skype is very good in traversing NAT. With SIP you have to
> jump through hoops to get a reliable connection.
> Regards!
> Erwin.

Depends on the SIP network and/or the hardware. I have had numerous
problems with certain ATA hardware and none at all with others, on the
same SIP account.

Ivor