flash saphire 9200 to 9500

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I know little about flashing graphics cards, but if I had to guess I'd say probably. My question is: what do you hope to gain from it? The 9500 is an 8 pipe card (the many if not all of the non-pros simply have some pipes disabled) and are basically 9700s with 128bit memory busses. The 9200 is a DX8.1 part and the 9500 is a DX9 part. I'm pretty sure that most BIOS flashes are done with similar cards 9500->9700. Here, the cores are completely different at a hardware level, so I don't see how a BIOS flash would help it... but you're welcome to try.
Edit: I just realized you were asking *how* not *if* it can be done... and I just gave you a bunch of reasons why it probably shouldn't be done. As for how, I couldn't help you there... sorry

-mcg

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9200 isn't really a 9x card, it's just a cut-down version of the old 8500. The 9500 is a cut-down version of the 9700. They're completely different, they share nothing in common.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Wow, I thought I recognised your name and I was right.

This thread comes from the person who wanted to flash an Asus mainboard from a P4P800 BIOS to a P4C800 despite them having different chipsets (so why would you want to)?

Also the person who dropped his hard disk and was surprised it won't work.

And the person who is adamant you can unlock the multipliers on a non-ES Intel chip despite the whole enthusiast community knowing Intel cuts the chips internally so you can't do this.

Now we have someone who wants to flash a 9200 to a 9500. As already said, these chips share NOTHING in common, they use different cores, have different pipeline configurations. Hypothetically, even if you could get it to flash right, why the hell would you want to? It won't do anything for it.

I'm sorry to have to say this but you really shouldn't be playing with computer equipment because you actually do have no idea what you are talking about and hence keep asking these questions...