Sign in with
Your question

Why not dual core instead of multiple video cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2006 4:43:57 PM

Can someone tell me why they are making system using the latest CPU's with dual core and in 2007 quad cores but in the world of video cards, they are going to a multiple video card setup instead of using one video card with a dual core GPU?

I guess that the GPU's are not like CPU so why not design a dual GPU.

Technology has been intergrating components for years, like sound card and netword cards...are now intergated in the motherboard but video card power can only be acheived from multiple video cards.....
June 7, 2006 5:49:23 PM

Pobably the expense involved is greater than the profit. Dual core CPU's are not that much diiferent than having two individual CPU's on the same board, except that the cores can talk to each other faster. Graphics card makers have made cards with tow or more processors on the same card for years, even having four processors. But is a lot cheaper to put multiple cores on the card rather than to design a dual core. This is probably especially true in the graphics cards compared to CPU's because graphics card design changes so frequently.

People are still using CPU's that are years old, some quite successfully. But try a graphics card from 4 years ago on a new game and so how fast it falls, even a 2 year old card for that matter. Though some refinements occur in CPU's, they haven't changed all that much, and overall clock speeds have fallen pretty flat in their rate of increase. Graphics cards have been explosive in comparison in way of design and speed. So expense is the limiting factor. If and when the market becomes stable enough and demanding enough for a dual core graphics to be economically feasible, then it will be made. Until then, we will see things like Nvidia puting 4 single cores on a single card, like the 7950, rather then investing a lot of money in a dual core or even a quad core, only to have it obsolete within a year. Money, or rather money to be made, is what will determine card design and core design.
June 7, 2006 6:16:18 PM

Quote:
But is a lot cheaper to put multiple cores on the card rather than to design a dual core.

What?....dual core = multiple cores.......
Related resources
June 7, 2006 6:55:15 PM

well i was thinking of dual core but i also think that the reason they are using multiple card might be because if they have two video cards, that means they have twice the bandwidth going to the cpu...so more bandwitdh than with one powerfull card...just a taught
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2006 7:05:50 PM

Quote:
well i was thinking of dual core but i also think that the reason they are using multiple card might be because if they have two video cards, that means they have twice the bandwidth going to the cpu...so more bandwitdh than with one powerfull card...just a taught

This has been discussed 18 ways from sunday.

VPUs are already far FAR more parallel than dual coe CPUs.

To make things easier for you think of a pipeline in a VPU as a core in a CPU. There's already 16 pipelines in a VPU without the inherent delays in making them seperate cores.

The reason there's two card si because not everyone want to pay for the added power, and the fab process becomes trickier with larger transistor counts. So 2 300mil transistor chips is preferable to 1 600mil transistor chip.
June 7, 2006 7:34:29 PM

Quote:

It uses two chips, not one chip with two cores on it.
!