Which view.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I was just wondering which view most people here fly with in FS9. I use the
cockpit view, and use the old 'w' key from time to time for a better view,
but I know some people use the virtual cockpit. I can't see how that would
be practical myself. Thoughts anyone?
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

Chris wrote:
> I was just wondering which view most people here fly with in FS9. I
> use the cockpit view, and use the old 'w' key from time to time for a
> better view, but I know some people use the virtual cockpit. I can't
> see how that would be practical myself. Thoughts anyone?
> Chris

In GA aircraft, I almost always use the VC as it gives a much more authentic
feel of flying, especially for take off and landing. For searching for an
airfield in the distance I usually go to the W panel view with no panel or
instruments.

--
Sincerely,
Quilljar

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
> I was just wondering which view most people here fly with in FS9. I use
the
> cockpit view, and use the old 'w' key from time to time for a better view,
> but I know some people use the virtual cockpit. I can't see how that would
> be practical myself. Thoughts anyone?
> Chris

I fly using the virtual cockpit almost all the time. But then my aircraft
of choice are helicopters, where I need the widest possible field of view.
VC in the Bell 206 allows me to see through the chin windows when landing.
(I use 75% zoom, which seems to give me the most realistic field of view,
and at 1280x1024 the dials are totally readable.)

Si

GREGORY

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:18:25 +1000, "Chris" <me@there.com.au> brought
the following to our attention:

>I was just wondering which view most people here fly with in FS9. I use the
>cockpit view.. but I know some people use the virtual cockpit. I can't see how
>that would be practical myself. Thoughts anyone?
>Chris

Sorry.. missed the point.. so here is 2nd reply.

Use Cockpit, VC, and Tower views about equally.. and spot view the
least. Spot view is noisy!! Have both vc and non-vc models but like
the non-vc for two reasons. 1st, don't have a lot of resources for
really great VC's.. and 2nd, like the `magic carpet' effect, or non-vc
panning to look at terrain.

Aside from the Panel view to control the AC.. Tower view with Active
Camera set at 11,000' away, 200' above and 32 sec runs works fine.

-Gregory

p.s. for SPOT view.. have camera set 8x wingspan feet away..

It doesn't seem to matter which cockpit I use I have raise the seat to see
over the top of the panels.

But to answer the Question I prefer VC for VFR flights and standard cockpit
for IFR as the autopilot is usually easier to get to grips with.

Hamish.

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
>I was just wondering which view most people here fly with in FS9. I use the
>cockpit view, and use the old 'w' key from time to time for a better view,
>but I know some people use the virtual cockpit. I can't see how that would
>be practical myself. Thoughts anyone?
> Chris
>
> --
> I'm not always right,
> But I'm never wrong!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

> Chris wrote:
> > I was just wondering which view most people here fly with in FS9. I
> > use the cockpit view, and use the old 'w' key from time to time for a
> > better view, but I know some people use the virtual cockpit. I can't
> > see how that would be practical myself. Thoughts anyone?
> > Chris
>
> In GA aircraft, I almost always use the VC as it gives a much more
authentic
> feel of flying, especially for take off and landing. For searching for an
> airfield in the distance I usually go to the W panel view with no panel or
> instruments.
>

> --
> Sincerely,
> Quilljar

Forgive the ignorance, but what does GA mean?
Chris

Charley

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

General Aviation Aircraft, such as, Cessna's Piper's and so on.
Charley

"Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Chris wrote:
>> > I was just wondering which view most people here fly with in FS9. I
>> > use the cockpit view, and use the old 'w' key from time to time for a
>> > better view, but I know some people use the virtual cockpit. I can't
>> > see how that would be practical myself. Thoughts anyone?
>> > Chris
>>
>> In GA aircraft, I almost always use the VC as it gives a much more
> authentic
>> feel of flying, especially for take off and landing. For searching for an
>> airfield in the distance I usually go to the W panel view with no panel
>> or
>> instruments.
>>

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Quilljar
>>
> Forgive the ignorance, but what does GA mean?
> Chris

GREGORY

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:20:34 -0700, Lawn Dart
<willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> brought the following to our
attention:

>Hi Chris,
>
>On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:18:25 +1000, you wrote:
>
>> Thoughts anyone?
>
>All my favorite planes have great VCs (both functionally and
>graphically), so I fly almost exclusively in the VC. I never use the
>"mini-panel", because that's about as unreal as it gets! :)

Hi LD.. know what you mean about the mini-panel. This one didn't get
many downloads in two years.

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=41022

Not to be contradictory, but for some of the `jet setters' it comes in
useful now and then as mentioned.. when climbing the v2+10 segment..
pitching over thru 1500 AGL.. where the simmer can see the V_rate,
airspeed and Horizon gauges AND.. the actual horizon. Sometimes even
coming up on the GS.. when the deck angle is like 7 or 8 deg. :)

Also.. rendering the gauges in 3D view is tough on the frame-
rate. I think as FS becomes more advanced.. VC will be `IN'
and mini-panels will be `OUT' (of style).

cheers,

-Gregory

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
>I was just wondering which view most people here fly with in FS9. I use the
>cockpit view, and use the old 'w' key from time to time for a better view,
>but I know some people use the virtual cockpit. I can't see how that would
>be practical myself. Thoughts anyone?

I use the normal Cockpit view the most. I like using the 8-position
hat-switch on my joystick to instantly look left or right, etc. The Virtual
Cockpit is nice on occasion, but it still takes time to pan (even though I
sped it up).

I have found though, that it is nice to zoom out to 0.75 for all of the
Cockpit views (left, right, ahead-right, back-left, etc.) except for the
normal straight-ahead view which I leave at 1.00 zoom. The 0.75 zoom out
gives a wider field of view.

dallas

>Hi Chris,
> >All my favorite planes have great VCs (both functionally and
> >graphically), so I fly almost exclusively in the VC.

Put it this way... if FS10 didn't support the 2D cockpit, I might not buy
it.

My opinion of the VC has come way up in recent years with the improvements,
but you can't beat the 2D for readability and lack of distortion. Add to
that, modification of 2D cockpits is important to me. It's a rare add-on
that I don't make at least a couple of tweaks on the panel and view.

Dallas

GREGORY

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:20:55 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>>Hi Chris,
>> >All my favorite planes have great VCs (both functionally
>> >and graphically), so I fly almost exclusively in the VC.
>
>Put it this way... if FS10 didn't support the 2D cockpit, I might not buy it.
>
>My opinion of the VC has come way up in recent years with the improvements,
>but you can't beat the 2D for readability and lack of distortion. Add to
>that, modification of 2D cockpits is important to me. It's a rare add-on
>that I don't make at least a couple of tweaks on the panel and view.
>
>Dallas

I think it'll be a long while before the 2D panel (Cockpit) is dropped
for a number of reasons. One of them is.. the Sim must be able to run
on hardware which isn't necessarily `high end' category.

Same here.. before ever starting up a new add-on.. always go through
the container (with ACM) and panel (with FS Panel) and edit stuff.

Forgot to add the radical v2+10 climbout pic (from years back).

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/EHAM_takeoff.jpg (141k)

Check out the airspeed and ALT - top left. Is FSim kool or what??
EHAM is.. Hamburg? well that's the TO field.. Hamburg.

-Gregory

Chris IRL: when you fly/land, you spend 90% of the time looking outside the
cockpit. The VC helps you to do this. When landing, all you really need to
check is the airspeed. Keep your eyes outside and watch your angle of
approach and line up, with just an occasional flick of the eyes to the ASI.
This is much more realistic than watching instruments. Unless you are IFR in
thick fog, you do not need them.
Once you are trimmed and settled in your approach, your job is to flare at
the right moment and again, for that you don't need instruments. :)
Sincerely,
Quilljar