HP Deskjet 6540 w/HP 99 Photo Ink = Yellow

When I print with the TriColor + Black ink the colors are great.

I went out and purchased the HP 99 Photo ink for it and its installed
correctly and everything, but anytime the Photo Ink is installed I get
saturated yellow all over the pictures when they print.

TriColor HP95/97 + Black HP94/96 = Correct print colors

TriColor HP95/97 + Grey HP100 = Correct print colors

TriColor HP95/97 + Photo HP99 = Horrible Extremely Saturated Yellow color in
all prints.

I'm using version: 10.4.0.0 of the HP print software [which was
'auto-update' upgraded yesterday I noticed -- possible bug in the updated
software?]

I'm using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 .

HP DeskJet 6540 uses the following inks:

BLACK INK:
HP94 [small ink cartridge - low volume printing]
HP96 [large ink cartridge - high volume printing]
TRICOLOR INK:
HP95 [small ink cartridge - low volume printing]
HP97 [large ink cartridge - high volume printing]
GRAY INK:
HP100 [small ink cartridge - low volume printing]
PHOTO:
HP99 [small ink cartridge - low volume printing]

Anyone else having this problem when using the HP99 Photo Ink instead of the
Black or Gray. The 6540 printer is designed with two slots TriColor on the
left and Black or Gray or Photo ink used in the right [can only install one
of them at any given time].
6 answers Last reply
More about deskjet 6540 photo yellow

    "seascape" <seascape@_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I print with the TriColor + Black ink the colors are great.
    >
    > I went out and purchased the HP 99 Photo ink for it and its installed
    > correctly and everything, but anytime the Photo Ink is installed I get
    > saturated yellow all over the pictures when they print.
    [snip]
    > I'm using version: 10.4.0.0 of the HP print software [which was
    > 'auto-update' upgraded yesterday I noticed -- possible bug in the updated
    > software?]

    Which OS are you using? The driver version I see on the HP site at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=357211&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=4&submit.x=6&lang=en&cc=us
    is 10.4.4.0 which indicates it was released in 10/04. One thing to check would
    be to print an 8/4 tap diagnostic test as shown at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10279.
    Use the diagnostic test for the 900C series printers. With the photo and color
    cartridge installed this should give you six nozzle pattern areas, cyan,
    magenta, yellow, light cyan, light magenta and photo black. Make sure these
    patterns look correct; if the result has extra yellow then one of the
    cartridges probably has an electrical problem.

    Regards,

    I did the HP Webcheck.. here are the results...
    -----------------------
    HP Printer Check

    HP Printer Check detected the following:
    Connected Printer: HP Deskjet 6520/ 6540/ 6540d/ 6543/ 6543d/ 6548
    Operating System: WindowsXP
    Connection Port: USB

    Results:
    You are using the latest driver!

    A check of your driver settings shows no problems.
    -----------------------

    say's I have the current one.. but my software says 10.4.0.0 not 10.4.4.0 [I
    did find 10.4.4.0 on the website though].

    I'm wondering if perhaps I bought a bad Photo Cartridge [just bad luck with
    first purchase of one] .. purchased it NEW from STAPLES Office Supply and
    nationally known shop.

    > I'm wondering if perhaps I bought a bad Photo Cartridge [just bad luck with
    > first purchase of one] .. purchased it NEW from STAPLES Office Supply and
    > nationally known shop.

    You can check the cartridges by pressing and holding the power button (with the
    printer turned on), then press the X button once, then release the power
    button. This will print a nozzle pattern and various debug information -
    please let me know what the nozzle patterns look like and also the contents of
    lines 55-57 and 64-67. With the photo and color cartridge installed you should
    have six nozzle pattern blocks at the top, they should all be the same shape
    but have colors corresponding to the cartridges - light magenta, black, light
    cyan, magenta yellow and cyan from left to right across the top. You may post
    here or email me directly at mailto:bobh@proaxis.com.

    Regards,

    Thanks for the great feedback. Here is the results of the nozzle test:

    I have 6 patterns printing..... Than a 3 solid colors printing.... as
    follows:

    [light magenta], [black], [light cyan], [magenta], [yellow] & [cyan]

    [cyan] [magenta] [yellow]

    HPDeskjet 6500 Series

    11. SN = MY49T3Q02X040J 21. PG = 277
    12. PER = 040J 22. FB = 8 / 0
    13. ID = 15057 23. MS = NADA
    14. FW = DF0P256A 24. ASIC = 2
    15. ACC = NONE 25. RX = 03, 050, 0000
    16. PX = 2 26. RC = 57402
    31. TRAIL = 0 41. Code1 = c18e0001
    32. NO PK = 23 42. Code2 = 00000000
    33. EX PK = 0 43. Code3 = 00000000
    34. PJ = 0 44. Code4 = 00000000
    35. CS = 0 45. Code5 = 00000000
    36. SS = 0
    E ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| F E
    51. TYPE = 1 61. TYPE = 2
    52. ID = 0080-7C0B-12B4-B805 62. ID = 0000-7408-16BB-3807
    53. PX = 2 63. PX = 2
    54. HP = 1 64. HP = 1
    55. USE = 0 65. USE = 0

    56. STAT = 0 66. STAT = 0
    57. LOI = 1000 67. LOI = 84

    71. INS CMY = 1
    72. INS K = 1
    73. INS PHOTO = 2
    74. INS CMY = 1

    Geesh! That was a lot to type.

    I'm thinking it now has something to due with the 'Calibrate Color' feature
    in the HP software. Any clue as to what the A and B settings are supposed
    to be? Everytime the feature is accessed is always say's A11 / B11 [ranges
    from A1-21 / B1-21 as settable options]. Changing these seems to make a
    difference though, none of which have produced good results though [but I
    haven't tried them all since there are 21x21 combinations to test].

    > Thanks for the great feedback. Here is the results of the nozzle test:
    [snip]
    > 54. HP = 1 64. HP = 1
    > 55. USE = 0 65. USE = 0
    >
    > 56. STAT = 0 66. STAT = 0
    > 57. LOI = 1000 67. LOI = 84

    OK, that looks like the cartridges are at least OK electrically and there are
    no interconnect issues.

    > I'm thinking it now has something to due with the 'Calibrate Color' feature
    > in the HP software. Any clue as to what the A and B settings are supposed
    > to be? Everytime the feature is accessed is always say's A11 / B11 [ranges
    > from A1-21 / B1-21 as settable options]. Changing these seems to make a
    > difference though, none of which have produced good results though [but I
    > haven't tried them all since there are 21x21 combinations to test].

    Hmm... I am going to have to check that when I get back in the office on
    Monday. Normally the automatic color calibration will pick the right values
    without any intervention on your part. You can force this by holding in the
    power button and pressing the paper feed button three times, then releasing the
    power button.

    I sent myself a reminder for Monday and will get back to you then.

    Regards,

    "seascape" <seascape@_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking it now has something to due with the 'Calibrate Color' feature
    > in the HP software. Any clue as to what the A and B settings are supposed
    > to be? Everytime the feature is accessed is always say's A11 / B11 [ranges
    > from A1-21 / B1-21 as settable options]. Changing these seems to make a
    > difference though, none of which have produced good results though [but I
    > haven't tried them all since there are 21x21 combinations to test].

    OK, I had a chance to try this out. Normally the DeskJet 6540 will do an
    automatic color calibration, but the toolbox does give a manual method. When
    you select the color calibration from the toolbox is should print a series of
    color boxes on a light background. Be patient as it takes a minute or two for
    the toolbox to send the test pattern to the printer. On my printer A10 B9 was
    the right combination, but this will depend on the characteristics of the photo
    and color cartridge.

    Regards,

Printers Photo Hewlett Packard Peripherals