voip-installation

hello,
i am going to migrate my telephony to voip - at the moment i am using
standard isdn. therefor i am looking for a voip-gateway, which enables
me to plug-in standard analogue telephones. on my search for such
gateways i only found devices integrating a router. but for
routing-purposes i want to use my wrt54g furthermore...

is that possible without problems? can you recommend any hardware?

thanks a lot,
with friendly regards,
--
Andre Gronwald
agronwald@gmx.de

Andre Gronwald <agronwald@gmx.de> wrote in news:38mlerF5s9vqvU1
@individual.net:

> i am going to migrate my telephony to voip - at the moment i am using
> standard isdn. therefor i am looking for a voip-gateway, which enables
> me to plug-in standard analogue telephones. on my search for such
> gateways i only found devices integrating a router. but for
> routing-purposes i want to use my wrt54g furthermore...
>
> is that possible without problems? can you recommend any hardware?

Hmmm not sure if this will help you, but check http://www.audiocodes.com.
They have several devices which integrates Analog telephony into a VoIP
network.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Andre Gronwald wrote:
> hello,
> i am going to migrate my telephony to voip - at the moment i am
> using standard isdn. therefor i am looking for a voip-gateway,
> which enables me to plug-in standard analogue telephones. on my
> search for such gateways i only found devices integrating a router.
> but for routing-purposes i want to use my wrt54g furthermore...
>
> is that possible without problems? can you recommend any hardware?
>
> thanks a lot,
> with friendly regards,

How many phones..? Which VoIP service..? For one or two phones in a
domestic or small business environment, take a look at www.sipura.com.

I use the SPA-2000 unit which has two analogue ports and works very well.

Ivor

Andre, you may want to look into http://www.packet8.net . I just subscribed
to their service and installed their DTA310 adapter to attach my analogue
phones to my Belkin WiFi access point/router and not only did it practically
install itself, it works flawlessly. The DTA310 plugs into any Ethernet
router port on one site and a RJ11 phone jack on the other. The service
itself is a real bargain at $19.95/mo. I decided to buy a Vtech expandable
cordless phone set to take advantage of all the new free features of Packet8
and all get along famously with my 802.11g WiFi network. Cheers, Wizzzer

Mediatrix (www.mediatrix.com)

--
Sergio Meinardi
AIP # 2271 http://www.aipnet.it

Ivor Jones wrote:
> How many phones..? Which VoIP service..? For one or two phones in a

2 phones at the moment, they are connected to a telephone-system
(t-concept xi-521)

> domestic or small business environment, take a look at www.sipura.com.
> I use the SPA-2000 unit which has two analogue ports and works very well.

sipura is known by me, i read something of their products. the 3000
seems to support the telephone-system. do you know something about that?

with kindly regards,
--
Andre Gronwald
agronwald@gmx.de

Wiz-z-z wrote:
> router port on one site and a RJ11 phone jack on the other. The service
> itself is a real bargain at $19.95/mo. I decided to buy a Vtech expandable

well, i am living in germany, i guess i won't be able to use this service...

--
Andre Gronwald
agronwald@gmx.de

> Wiz-z-z wrote:
>> router port on one site and a RJ11 phone jack on the other. The
>> service
>> itself is a real bargain at $19.95/mo. I decided to buy a Vtech
>> expandable
>
> well, i am living in germany, i guess i won't be able to use this
> service...

If you're in Germany, take a look at Sipgate - they are based in
Dusseldorf. Their German site is www.sipgate.de. I've been using their UK
service for a few months now and I am very impressed.

Ivor

Lucas Tam wrote:
> Andre Gronwald <agronwald@gmx.de> wrote in news:38mlerF5s9vqvU1
> @individual.net:
>

>>i am going to migrate my telephony to voip - at the moment i am using
>>standard isdn. therefor i am looking for a voip-gateway, which enables
>>me to plug-in standard analogue telephones. on my search for such
>>gateways i only found devices integrating a router. but for
>>routing-purposes i want to use my wrt54g furthermore...
>>
>>is that possible without problems? can you recommend any hardware?
>

> Hmmm not sure if this will help you, but check http://www.audiocodes.com.
> They have several devices which integrates Analog telephony into a VoIP
> network.

The newer MediaTrix VoIP ATA does IP Passthrough out of the box so may
be closer to what you're looking for. It will pass your public IP back
to the router and continue to chug on like a champ on the VoIP side of
things. Keep in mind that any device you find, so long as it's in front
of your Linksys, is going to take priority over port 5060 and whichever
RTP ports are being used to send the voice data.
Other than that, if you can find a similar device that will strictly
passthrough the public IP then I think you might achieve what you want.

Ivor Jones wrote:
>>well, i am living in germany, i guess i won't be able to use this
>>service...
> If you're in Germany, take a look at Sipgate - they are based in
> Dusseldorf. Their German site is www.sipgate.de. I've been using their UK
> service for a few months now and I am very impressed.

i have already an account at sipgate, it looks very fine. that is the
cause why i need hardware for using voip efficiently...

--
Andre Gronwald
agronwald@gmx.de

> Ivor Jones wrote:
>>>well, i am living in germany, i guess i won't be able to use this
>>>service...
>> If you're in Germany, take a look at Sipgate - they are based in
>> Dusseldorf. Their German site is www.sipgate.de. I've been using their
>> UK
>> service for a few months now and I am very impressed.
>
> i have already an account at sipgate, it looks very fine. that is the
> cause why i need hardware for using voip efficiently...

Ok, well I don't know the Sipura 3000 you mentioned personally, but
looking at it on the website I see it only has a single phone port,
whereas the 2000 that I have has two. If a single port is sufficient for
you then go ahead, but I'd prefer the flexibility of adding a second phone
without buying a second device..!

The 3000 does have additional features like automatic call routing but I
don't have a need for this.

All the best,

Ivor

thx a lot!

--
Andre Gronwald
agronwald@gmx.de

> Ivor Jones wrote:
> > How many phones..? Which VoIP service..? For one or two phones in a
>
> 2 phones at the moment, they are connected to a telephone-system
> (t-concept xi-521)
>
> > domestic or small business environment, take a look at www.sipura.com.
> > I use the SPA-2000 unit which has two analogue ports and works very
well.

> sipura is known by me, i read something of their products. the 3000
> seems to support the telephone-system. do you know something about that?

In the 3000 one FXS port is replaced by an FXO port, so that the device
can work as VoIP <->PSTN gateway. For more details see
http://sipura.com/support/spa3000faq/ and the user guide at
http://sipura.com/Documents/SipuraSPAUserGuidev2.0.9.pdf (which also
covers the 2000 and other models).

Enzo

sTj wrote:
> The newer MediaTrix VoIP ATA does IP Passthrough out of the box so may
> be closer to what you're looking for. It will pass your public IP back

you are totally right!
thx for your answer!

--
Andre Gronwald
agronwald@gmx.de

These items move very quickly!

they are here now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5762061730&ssPageNam
e=STRK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5760803520&ssPageNam

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5753393677&ssPageNam
> > e=STRK:MESE:IT
> >
> > "Marc H.Popek" <LVMarc@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Now you can join your low cost VOIP port and your local pstn port into
> > > single port, automatically! The combine-a-line device combine two
> > telephone
> > > port and auto routes them to your favorite single line Telco gear.
Some

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5752429078&ssPageNam
> > > e=STRK:MESE:IT
> > >
> > > Hurry these move fast!
> > >
> > > Marco

"Andre Gronwald" <agronwald@gmx.de> wrote in message
> hello,
> i am going to migrate my telephony to voip - at the moment i am using
> standard isdn. therefor i am looking for a voip-gateway, which enables
> me to plug-in standard analogue telephones. on my search for such
> gateways i only found devices integrating a router. but for
> routing-purposes i want to use my wrt54g furthermore...
>
> is that possible without problems? can you recommend any hardware?
>
> thanks a lot,
> with friendly regards,
> --
> Andre Gronwald
> agronwald@gmx.de
> PGP - 0x9CDEE439

I live in McAllen, Texas, USA. Vonage and Lingo cannot yet offer a
local toll free number, so it was important that my SBC number be
ported. Packet8 could not only port my SBC number, but they offered a
local temparary number that could be called from the McAllen area toll
free. I ruled out RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) by price alone
($39.95/month).

I signed up with Packet8 on March 7, 2005 at $19.95/month. I faxed my
application to have my SBC number ported to my Packet8 account on March
8, 2005. I received my Packet8 device, hooked it up, and activated it
on March 17, 2005. My old SBC phone number was ported on April 8, 2005.
The transfer was almost seamless (a phone call to Packet8) when my SBC
service was terminated.

So far, everything seems to be working as advertised. Call forwarding,
Call waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail, Etc. Also, my use history is
available on the Packet8 site and is impacted within 10 seconds of my
hanging up the phone.

Quality of the voice is as good as my experience with SBC. I wear
hearing aids and voice quality is important.

So far, so good. Time will tell..

And tell us please, what happens if you need to dial 9-1-1 ??
On the off chance that you haven't made a "test" call, I certainly would
recommend doing so.

In article <1113155187.182074.125270@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> "John
Harper" <gg@johnharper.com> writes:

>I live in McAllen, Texas, USA. Vonage and Lingo cannot yet offer a
>local toll free number, so it was important that my SBC number be
>ported. Packet8 could not only port my SBC number, but they offered a
>local temparary number that could be called from the McAllen area toll
>free. I ruled out RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) by price alone
>($39.95/month).
>
>I signed up with Packet8 on March 7, 2005 at $19.95/month. I faxed my
>application to have my SBC number ported to my Packet8 account on March
>8, 2005. I received my Packet8 device, hooked it up, and activated it
>on March 17, 2005. My old SBC phone number was ported on April 8, 2005.
>The transfer was almost seamless (a phone call to Packet8) when my SBC
>service was terminated.
>
>So far, everything seems to be working as advertised. Call forwarding,
>Call waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail, Etc. Also, my use history is
>available on the Packet8 site and is impacted within 10 seconds of my
>hanging up the phone.
>
>Quality of the voice is as good as my experience with SBC. I wear
>hearing aids and voice quality is important.
>
>So far, so good. Time will tell..

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:47:10 -0500, Mitel Lurker
<wdg@[206.180.145.133] wrote:

>And tell us please, what happens if you need to dial 9-1-1 ??
>On the off chance that you haven't made a "test" call, I certainly would
>recommend doing so.

You can opt to subscribe to Packet8's E-911 service. $3/month.

Carl Navarro