Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia AGP + ATI Pci Express... Will it work?

Last response: in Components
June 8, 2006 12:12:37 AM

I was wondering if someone had any idea whether or not this would be feasible: To use an Nvidia card in my AGP slot, while using an ATI card in the PCI express slot. I know that physically it is possible, as my motherboard has both, and both have their own controller so there aren't any hardware sharing conflicts. However I needed to know whether the drivers would not like each other.

I am interested in this setup due to my dual boot setup, utilizing linux which wholeheartedly supports my Nvidia FX5200, and also using windows with a Radeon X800. I do have dual monitors, so that is no problem.

Just for reference, I have an ASRock 939Dual SataII motherboard and an off brand FX5200. I only ask the question to aid in my decision to buy the X800. Any thoughts would be nice.
June 8, 2006 12:47:22 AM

Should work, but the problem would be that each time you boot that particular OS would try to install the other device. Or, at least I should say the windows install would try to load the 5200 each time you boot, so you'll end up with 2 video cards in windows, which may or may not work, I don't know.
June 8, 2006 12:49:45 AM

Shouldn't be a problem with linux, it seems to not usually like ATI (in my experience). But windows would be a different story. Any advice?
Related resources
June 8, 2006 12:58:14 AM

Perhaps have 2 hardware profiles and keep the 2nd video card uninstalled in the 2nd windows profile. I've never actually done that, but I know you can have different hardware profiles, so you might want to play with it and see if it works that way.
June 8, 2006 1:00:37 AM

Great Idea! I never even thought of that. Ill keep that in mind, and if I do eventually do it, Ill post my results in this thread.
June 8, 2006 1:00:49 AM

Under any conventional useage, not possible. You could physically install the cards, but there would be an instant driver conflict with the motherboard not knowing which to use. Its similar to trying to use an onboard sound system and an add in card. It can be one or the other, but not both. The big difference is that with a sound card problem, the computer can boot and give you no sound at all, but with the graphics card difference, it wouldn't boot at all.

Maybe there is a way to do it, if you had onboard graphics that could be used for booting up, followed by switching to one card or the other, then a restart using a particular OS (Windows, Linux) from a dual boot system to engage that card. Then, just before shutting down, switching back to the onboard graphics. So could it be technically possible? I suppose, but as best I know, not with your motherboard.
June 8, 2006 1:03:46 AM

Not to be a ripping on you, but I have used the onboard sounda and a PCI card at the same time (un-copy-protection, waste of time, by the way). Also, I read a review of my motherboard before I bought it that they actually did two cards at once, albeit the same manufacturer

Edit:
Guess they didn't actually run it. However, every site that I have seen with full reviews on it have mentioned it. Here's the link:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/939Dual-SATA2
June 8, 2006 2:23:50 AM

Quote:
Not to be a ripping on you, but I have used the onboard sounda and a PCI card at the same time (un-copy-protection, waste of time, by the way). Also, I read a review of my motherboard before I bought it that they actually did two cards at once, albeit the same manufacturer

Edit:
Guess they didn't actually run it. However, every site that I have seen with full reviews on it have mentioned it. Here's the link:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/939Dual-SATA2

Like I said, under conventional useage it wouldn't be possible. That doesn't mean that its impossible to do, just not under conventional useage. And like you said, the two cards in the review of your motherboard were of the same manufacturer, so that is a bit easier to combine, not like the idea of using ATI and Nvidia cards together.

At the same time, I know I don't know everything and there is always someone, somewhere that going to do something that I don't know about or think is impossible. That makes for education on my part.
June 8, 2006 2:31:26 AM

I guess I'll just try and see, then. I'll post here with the results. It'll be a month or so though.
June 8, 2006 3:08:13 AM

All you would have to do, is go into the BIOS and set the primary(first) video card.!
June 13, 2006 9:31:32 AM

Shut up if you don't know, yes there is a way to do it.
June 13, 2006 9:36:49 AM

The whole driver thing: From my experience, to make both cards work, the nVidia card has to be set to primary display. Otherwise you can get black screens as the nVidia driver fights for priority.
!