Sign in with
Your question

Intel, AMD, Conroe, the Truth!!

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2006 12:26:21 AM

First off this thread is not intended to cause any kind of flame war. To all that think AMD has an answer to Intel's Conroe architecture, you are dead wrong. There won't be any answer to Conroe for a very long time. Intel has put forth a very aggressive road map, and AMD has been quiet. True AMD has ruled supreme the last few years but that is only because Intel didn't really care about having the better architecture. Intel still had all the sales their chips were in everything. Finally Intel decides to beat AMD and boom, here we have Conroe. In actuality there is no reason for Intel not have the performance crown. They could have beaten AMD anytime they wanted. It's Intel were are talking about here. Sure AMD makes good chips but they are small time when next to Intel. Intel is now refocused which is bad news for AMD.

Discuss

More about : intel amd conroe truth

June 8, 2006 12:27:23 AM

Nitwit your already asking for a flame war. So grow up and smell the coffee.
June 8, 2006 12:31:44 AM

Please change that thread title to "Official THG Flamewar Thread." I think it would be more suiting.
Related resources
June 8, 2006 12:39:02 AM

I'm glad this is the truth, now my life is complete.
June 8, 2006 12:41:31 AM

Quote:
Please change that thread title to "Official THG Flamewar Thread." I think it would be more suiting.

Also when launching a flame war it is most appropriate to use the following key words

1. OMG
2. n00b
3. Pwns!!!
June 8, 2006 12:42:07 AM

I just wanted to be able to say I posted in the Official Flame War Thread.
WOW! I feel great now! :lol: 
June 8, 2006 12:43:03 AM

I can feel the fires burning already.
June 8, 2006 12:45:05 AM

Intels new marketing catch phrase:

Conroe. I know you are, but what am I?
June 8, 2006 12:46:19 AM

Quote:
Also when launching a flame war it is most appropriate to use the following key words

1. OMG
2. n00b
3. Pwns!!!

Actually, any word beggining with a 'K', 'A', 'C' or 'I'...
June 8, 2006 12:46:59 AM

Quote:
Intels new marketing catch phrase:

Conroe. I know you are, but what am I?
AM2 replies: Sit your ass in Cherry Pie!
June 8, 2006 12:48:30 AM

Could we please stop bumping this thread.

Everyone who posts after me in this thread is officially gay.
June 8, 2006 12:52:04 AM

Well it is very very hard to create even a decent thread in Toms forums. If I learned anything here and many other forums, that Tom's forums is a safe Haeven for fanboys of either group. So no, you will not get much an intelligent convo here.
June 8, 2006 12:52:29 AM

It's difficult to bump a thread that is already at the top.
June 8, 2006 12:54:58 AM

Quote:
Well it is very very hard to create even a decent thread in Toms forums. If I learned anything here and many other forums, that Tom's forums is a safe Haeven for fanboys of either group. So no, you will not get much an intelligent convo here.

That's not true. But, there is no reason to try to have an intelligent discussion from intentional flamebait, so why not just have fun with it? There are plenty of other threads where a lot of thoughtful discussion occurs.
June 8, 2006 12:55:12 AM

Quote:

Hey LMM, this is great challenge for you. It is an excelent to prove how good AMD are. This guy seems as much ignorant as you are. It will be hard to say who will win this FW.
June 8, 2006 1:02:34 AM

Quote:
Nitwit your already asking for a flame war. So grow up and smell the coffee.

couldnt have said it better...well.....maybe replace nitwit with dumbass, or f*ckin dumbass, or ban him from the forums...i dunno...my opinion
June 8, 2006 1:15:22 AM

Quote:

me too, me too!
June 8, 2006 1:42:52 AM

Quote:
Intel rev'ed their core at the usual cadence, it is natural that they would shoot for higher performance.

It can be assumed that AMD is aiming for lofty performance with K8L, and given the talent of their design team they will acheive it, Intel will then need to answer.

I think the bottom line is that it's much more fun to just sit back and enjoy. I'm not educated enough to understand the intrcacies of the design and engineering, but these evolutions are all opportunities to learn. Fan boyz want a winner but what they don't seem to grasp is that it there ever really is a winner, the consumer will lose.
June 8, 2006 2:01:50 AM

AMD Vs. Intel is just like Ford Vs. Chevy. Waiting for Conroe is kinda like waiting for Chevy's Camaro. Its always gonna be a feud and its threads like this that bump up the excitement. I am an Intel person even though AMD has been on top for a while. I hope Conroe is what its being hyped up to be.
June 8, 2006 2:17:10 AM

Quote:
AMD Vs. Intel is just like Ford Vs. Chevy. Waiting for Conroe is kinda like waiting for Chevy's Camaro. Its always gonna be a feud and its threads like this that bump up the excitement. I am an Intel person even though AMD has been on top for a while. I hope Conroe is what its being hyped up to be.
Ford sux my ballz.
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2006 2:32:33 AM

It just amazes me that a lot think that AMD is the greatest and that they will get the crown back, they are so small next to Intel. Intel can beat them anyday of the week. They knew for years that Netburst was weaker than AMD's offering at that time. Intel does what it wants, they are going to beat AMD for a long time to come, or until they feel the need to relax.
June 8, 2006 2:36:25 AM

i agree ford sux, chevy is ok, Acura pwns, so does infiniti, and lexus, along with massive pwnage from BMW. mercedes and jag's are old ppl cars
June 8, 2006 2:38:45 AM

sure...so what's your point faInTELboy? opinionated?
June 8, 2006 2:38:52 AM

actually jags remind me of old ppl because of how they "sag" u kno what i mean?

well maybe not this one but the bigger ones, they kinda arch and look saggy..
June 8, 2006 2:44:44 AM

Greatest? in terms of what? say, can you make a company and steal market share from currently GREAT GIGANTIC player? A Hat to AMD...

Say...if you have a company, will you let your competitor steals your market share??? your reasoning is totally unlogical.
Quote:
Intel can beat them anyday of the week
??? WTF? Do you think that they (Intel) can easily play with their shareholder money? Wow, this IS the first time in my life to see that a company based their decision emotionally, instead of rationally.

No wonder you're being amazes...
June 8, 2006 2:45:38 AM

Quote:
First off this thread is not intended to cause any kind of flame war. To all that think AMD has an answer to Intel's Conroe architecture, you are dead wrong. There won't be any answer to Conroe for a very long time. Intel has put forth a very aggressive road map, and AMD has been quiet. True AMD has ruled supreme the last few years but that is only because Intel didn't really care about having the better architecture. Intel still had all the sales their chips were in everything. Finally Intel decides to beat AMD and boom, here we have Conroe. In actuality there is no reason for Intel not have the performance crown. They could have beaten AMD anytime they wanted. It's Intel were are talking about here. Sure AMD makes good chips but they are small time when next to Intel. Intel is now refocused which is bad news for AMD.

Discuss

So you mean Dell was kidding and Opteron 8XX doesn't rule? Wow, I guess they really don't want those crappy Socket Fs, huhn?
June 8, 2006 2:46:17 AM

It took Intel two years to change course. Unless AMD has secret plans in the works and hasn't been telling the industry analysts or Wall Street analysts about future plans, it may take them just as long to change course.

Intel while it hasn't been transparent, has announced a aggressive every two year new architecture plan. Intel is spending alot of money to create these new architectures. Can AMD spend dollar for dollar with Intel?
June 8, 2006 2:54:51 AM

Pengwin you're barely old enough to drive. :?

I'm generally a Ford man myself.
June 8, 2006 2:57:10 AM

Quote:

Hey LMM, this is great challenge for you. It is an excelent to prove how good AMD are. This guy seems as much ignorant as you are. It will be hard to say who will win this FW.
gOJDO, you are and will always be a dumbass hack. Stay safe riding on the short bus.
June 8, 2006 2:58:43 AM

i've driven a BMW. the rest i have sat in, very nice cars.
June 8, 2006 3:00:15 AM

Quote:
Pengwin you're barely old enough to drive. :?

I'm generally a Ford man myself.
ZOMGWTFBBQINGH@XX0R. fORD Is tEh sUXX0rZ!!!!!112111oneneeleventeeseven sHEVROLAY iS tEH pWNZ uR!!!!!! I think we should pollute this thread as much as possible, that way it will get locked faster.
June 8, 2006 3:04:58 AM

pollute?, with what? car talk?

thats not pollution, BMW is greater than ALL. it turly is THE Ultimate driving machine.

until you have driven one...well just go get a test drive at the BMW dealship.
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2006 3:09:13 AM

First off this thread is not intended to cause any kind of flame war. To all that think INTEL has an answer to AMD's AM2 architecture, you are dead wrong. There won't be any answer to AM2 for a very long time. AMD has put forth a very aggressive road map, and INTEL has been quiet. True INTEL has ruled supreme the last few years but that is only because AMD didn't really care about having the better architecture. AMD still had all the sales their chips were in everything. Finally AMD decides to beat INTEL and boom, here we have AM2. In actuality there is no reason for AMD not have the performance crown. They could have beaten INTEL anytime they wanted. It's AMD were are talking about here. Sure INTEL makes good chips but they are small time when next to AMD. AMD is now refocused which is bad news for INTEL.

Discuss
June 8, 2006 3:14:30 AM

Quote:
thats not pollution, BMW is greater than ALL. it turly is THE Ultimate driving machine.

No way! BMW's suck! You havn't driven anything until you feel the exquisite road bumbs of the xB and have it slam you back in your seat as it's 102HP powerhouse roars under the hood.

Admins, feel free to lock this thread anytime.
June 8, 2006 3:18:11 AM

Quote:

I bet if I massively overclocked a Ford Fiesta with phase change it would beat to hell anything BMW has to offer.
June 8, 2006 3:19:50 AM

Quote:
First off this thread is not intended to cause any kind of flame war. To all that think INTEL has an answer to AMD's AM2 architecture, you are dead wrong. There won't be any answer to AM2 for a very long time. AMD has put forth a very aggressive road map, and INTEL has been quiet. True INTEL has ruled supreme the last few years but that is only because AMD didn't really care about having the better architecture. AMD still had all the sales their chips were in everything. Finally AMD decides to beat INTEL and boom, here we have AM2. In actuality there is no reason for AMD not have the performance crown. They could have beaten INTEL anytime they wanted. It's AMD were are talking about here. Sure INTEL makes good chips but they are small time when next to AMD. AMD is now refocused which is bad news for INTEL.

Discuss
I agree, Pineapples are good.
June 8, 2006 3:20:32 AM

OMG!!! so you've drove ALL the CAR ever manufactured in the world??? Gee...then why don't you go outside drive your BM's? Why need to hang around here? Fake said you? oke.
June 8, 2006 3:25:59 AM

Awww, someone is voting us all down. Wonder who it could be.... Honestly, your were seriously asking for it when you posted this thread. Not only is is flame-bait, you are a newbie.
June 8, 2006 3:33:05 AM

There you have my cents :) 
June 8, 2006 3:36:02 AM

Quote:
It just amazes me that a lot think that AMD is the greatest and that they will get the crown back, they are so small next to Intel. Intel can beat them anyday of the week. They knew for years that Netburst was weaker than AMD's offering at that time. Intel does what it wants, they are going to beat AMD for a long time to come, or until they feel the need to relax.

No, you are wrong Redeemer. AMD is not the greatest, Jesus is!!!

Rejoice
June 8, 2006 3:41:08 AM

This thread started dumb, and got worse really fast. I'm actually surprised that it got almost 2 whole pages, much less in less than 3 hours. Thank goodness for not taking that guy seriously!
June 8, 2006 3:46:35 AM

Quote:

No, you are wrong Redeemer. AMD is not the greatest, Jesus is!!!

Rejoice

So...among Intel, AMD, VIA, IBM,..., and Jesus; Jesus is the greatest?

Man, hell must be full these days. Have to ask Jesus to move to 300mm. Unfortunately, they can't do "90nm to 65nm".
June 8, 2006 3:55:34 AM

Redeemer is this the gun that i get in UT2004?congratulations, u have just created a flame war.

anyway, just go home and sleep ok. this is not the place for you. you are posing wrong information.
June 8, 2006 3:58:23 AM

Quote:
Redeemer is this the gun that i get in UT2004?congratulations, u have just created a flame war.

anyway, just go home and sleep ok. this is not the place for you. you are posing wrong information.
I agree, strawberry jelly does make good thermal paste.
June 8, 2006 6:01:59 AM

I'm a Ford Fox body fan (5.0 Mustang and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe mostly). The Mustangs were cheap, light, overbuilt and brutally fast. Very easy to maintain and repair as well. I'm a sucker for the old 87-88 Birds because that was my first vehicle (a base model V6/auto originally, now a custom 5.0/5-speed TC clone) I'm mainly a fan of Fords of the mid/late 80's to the mid 90's. Their build quality was amazing, and the style of the vehicles were light-years ahead of Cheverolet's and Dodge's offerings. That's the biggest plus Ford (used) to have. A sore spot has been the durability of the drivetrain. Takes such examples as the 3.8 V6, the AOD, and now the new 6.0 Power Stroke Deisel. These are all ticking time bombs. I simply choose to pick models that have time-tested drivetrains, that I know will go 200,000 miles (Ford's 4.6 for example). "Quality is job 1" was actually true back then. Recently though (at least since 2004), Ford has really been cheapening up the materials used in their vehicles, almost to Chevrolet standards. The quality is starting to feel cheap, and the design of some of the parts in their newer vehicles are fatally flawed (look at the door handles for the rear quarter doors on the new F-150s for example). That's why I currently don't care for Ford's lineup.

Why do you like chevrolet? It can't be for their (non-existant) fit, finish, and build quality (for their cars at least, their trucks are excellent). Definately not their NVH either. Is it for the excellent longevity on their engines and transmissions? That's what I appreciate about GM. Sure, the interior might fall apart in your hands, but at least the engine and tranny will go 200,000 miles. A terrible GM engine is a rarity, almost as much so as it is to find a Ford with terrible build quality. Some of the GM models have decent build quality though (especially their trucks, which have been the best around since 1988), much like some Ford models have great drivetrains.

I'm just glad you're not a Chrysler fan. They had virtually nothing going for them until Diamler picked them up a few years ago (nothing in the car/van segment for sure; the Cummins diesel in their trucks do have quite a following though). I've been out of the automotive scene for a couple years, so I can't honestly give first-hand testamony about the new Chrysler line, but it does appear that since the merger their problems with automatic transmissions and electrical devices have lessened quite a bit. Just don't buy a mid to late ninties Grand Cherokee, that's all I'm saying.

In reply to Pengwin:
Quote:
BMW is greater than ALL. it turly is THE Ultimate driving machine.

You obviously have no interest in mechanics. (the following rant only really applies to the US market, as it makes perfect sense to own a BMW in Europe). BMWs are the "ultimate driving machine" for the well-to-do automotive ignoramous. The owners of most BMWs are the automotive equivalent of your stereotypical Mac user, if you will. You certainly have not taken into consideration the repair and maintenance aspect of owning a Beemer (nor would I expect you to, as you're only, what, 15, 16, maybe 17 years old? Sorry, I can't quite remember what you said your age was in one of your previous posts). If you would like to wait a week for replacement parts from Germany, you can be my guest. Also, don't forget that when you pay a premium for a car such as a BMW, you also pay a premium for its replacement parts. Don't kid yourself about the longevity of a BMW's drivetrain, as it is on par with the Big Three. The interior materials, build quality, fit and finish are all top notch though. Whether or not that justifies the extra $$$ is up to you. At least BMWs have low depreciation rates, so you'd be more likely to get a higher % of your money back when you decide to sell it. BMW has it pros and cons, just like any other car manufacturer. I hardly think a BMW is "The Ultimate Driving Machine", nor do I believe the advertising agency of BMW thinks it, but it would have been just too blatently ostentatious to have the slogan be "The Ultimate Status Symbol", now wouldn't it? :wink:
June 8, 2006 6:17:41 AM

Can we have an automotive section of the forums? I have see a lot of people go into car-related discussions. What about it? Fredi? Jake? Rob? Anyone?
!