Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Hard Drive read error after CDROM Drive installed.

Last response: in Storage
June 8, 2006 2:01:55 AM

First off, let me say that my system works fine in win xp. I can see and use both my hard and cd drives. BUT the problem is that my cd drive does not show up in the bios. But when i link the cd rom drive as slave to the hard drive, it shows up in the bios (great!) but then it says "error reading disk" this being the hard disk. Reading around on net , im guessing that the ITE IT8212F IDE/RAID controller on my MB may be the cause of this. My MB is a Foxconn 945p7aa. Could anyone please tell me how i can get my cd rom to show in bios and still use my HD?
June 8, 2006 7:07:11 AM

First thing you need to do is double check the jumpers on all drives, sometimes incorrect settings work anyway and so a mistake goes unnoticed.

I have seen systems boot with single hard drive set to slave and no master on the cable, or two devices both set to master or slave.

Sometimes things work when they shouldn't. A friend couldn't get a matched pair PC3200 to work in his system, but either stick would work in the first slot by itself.

He RMA'ed the Motherboard, then the Memory. Then he realized that he was ussing ECC memory and his system didn't support ECC.

He never thought to check if he was using the correct type of memory because the wrong type shouldn't have worked at all. Instead it worked but in slot 0 only.

---
Also sometimes a device just doesn't like to be master or slaver or even share a channel with another device.

You either have to work arround the devices problems or replace it.
June 8, 2006 8:08:40 AM

your problem is common for people having their ide controller or ide cables being faulty.
Related resources
June 8, 2006 8:20:01 AM

Yes, and also make sure it's an 80 conductor 40 pin cable instead of 40 conductor 40 pin. Generally you shouldn't have a cdrom on the same cable as your hd's though.
June 8, 2006 2:47:33 PM

Thanks for replys. Unlikely to be faulty cables as the drives work in xp. Ive been reading around on net and i think it has something to do with the onboard ite it8212f ide/raid controller. The MB manual says the board only supports one ide channel. This controller is supposed to give you another two i think. So if i can find a way to enable another ide channel i can put the cd rom drive on that. Strange how xp can detect and use the drive with no problems.
June 9, 2006 12:32:30 AM

Not sure if this has been fixed.. but as a general rule I would NEVER have a HD and a CD on the same cable, as the HD would slow down to run a a simmilar speed of the CD drive.

if you can, leave your HD on its own IDE channel, and plug your CD into this other IDE controller thats on your motherboard.
June 9, 2006 2:20:12 AM

My MB (Foxconn 945p7aa) only seems to detect the cd rom in only 1 of the 3 ide channels. But it only detects my hard disk there as well. If i link them both to this channel it boots with a disk read error. If i put the cd rom in one of the other channels, the bios cant find it but win xp can. I need it to appear in bios because i want to boot off it (for another reason not important here). I read on another site that this MB has only 1 true ide channel and it uses an ide/raid controller for the other 2. Im sure this is the cause of the problem.
June 9, 2006 3:07:52 AM

Amazing what a little research can do (get a real board and trash the foxconn/intel idea):

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/service/FAQ_read.aspx?id=en-gb0000034

I connected my IDE (ATAPI) hard/optical drive to one of my motherboard’s IDE connectors but the drive doesn’t show up on the initial bootup screen (first screen) or in the motherboard BIOS. However, if I change to one of the other IDE connectors, the drive does show up. What’s going on? Which connectors support a bootable optical drive?

In the first instance you are probably using a motherboard connector served by a secondary IDE (ATAPI) controller - typically one from ITE Tech (ITE). In this case, you will not see the device listed by the motherboard BIOS (neither on the first boot up screen nor on the “Standard CMOS Features” BIOS page). However, the device should be listed on the second bootup screen – the one where devices connected to the secondary controller are detected and then listed.

In the second instance you are probably using a motherboard connector served by the IDE (ATAPI) controller which is integrated into the “Southbridge” of the motherboard chipset. In this case the device will be listed by the motherboard BIOS (both on the first boot up screen and on the “Standards CMOS Features” BIOS page).

The secondary controller supports IDE (ATAPI) hard drives (bootable and non-bootable) and IDE (ATAPI) optical drives (non-bootable). Connect your bootable optical drives to the motherboard connector served by the IDE (ATAPI) controller which is integrated into the “Southbridge” of the motherboard chipset – and set the BIOS to boot from it if that is your intension.

Please review the documentation that came with the motherboard (hard copy version or the soft copy version on the included CD) to find out more about connecting drives using the included IDE (ATAPI) controllers.
June 9, 2006 4:11:52 AM

Thanks for the reply about this link. This link might explain why the cd rom drive is being detected on the other 2 ide channels and why win xp can use the cd rom drive. But the bottom line is if its not showing in bios without linking it with a Hard disk drive (which then cannot be read) what use is it. The only way to boot from this board with a cd rom drive is to link it to a hard drive (Ive tryed 2) that you then cannot read. The manual only tells you how to set up a raid system. Which if i understand, only works in win xp, not at boot time. Maybe it is time for me to ditch the board.
June 9, 2006 3:42:50 PM

I'd agree with ditching that board, however here's my interpretation of that:

The first ide socket is controlled by the ICH and this is the one the bios sees. If you have slave master set properly there is no reason they won't coexists happily (assuming the board works.) That's just the way IDE works, having a cdrom and hd on the same cable is not going to break anything, I've seen it done since the days of 386's (never had a 286 with a cd-rom.)

The other two connectors WILL NOT show up in the bios, but as the manual says they are still there, it says there is a blub during boot showing the drives. It says the secondary controller does not support bootable cd-rom but it does support them:

Quote:
The secondary controller supports IDE (ATAPI) hard drives (bootable and non-bootable) and IDE (ATAPI) optical drives (non-bootable). Connect your bootable optical drives to the motherboard connector served by the IDE (ATAPI) controller which is integrated into the “Southbridge” of the motherboard chipset – and set the BIOS to boot from it if that is your intension.

So if you plug the CD-ROM into the primary one as master the bios should see it, if not, trash the board, otherwise plug your hd's into the secondary controllers and set them as the secondary boot device as ALL controllers support booting off the hd's.

Make sure any raid options in the bios are turned off, or if that doesn't work, create single disk raid 0 arrays individually on each drive.
!