Re-format and Re-install?

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
My current format and windows load is back from 2002. I feel like junk (a little bit here and a little bit there) has accumulated on my drive. I've just moved it from PC to PC to save time and data. Will reformatting the drive and re-installing windows give me a signifigant speed boosts for my PC?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Probably not. Unless you have unwanted programs running in the backgroud, but you can get the same effect by removing them.

Most of the systems I build are still running their first XP install without any problems.

However I am alwasy playing with software on my Gaming PC, installing/uninstalling/updating software&drivers. Consequently about once a year something breaks and I end up doing a clean install, usually after I update a couple dozen apps and a few drivers all at once.

Lately I have been updated my applications and software every six months and just going ahead and doing the clean install each time just to make sure there won't be any problems.

(Technically I only did the clean install once and since then I have been restoring to a backup of the clean install, but the effect is the same)

I have another PC which I don't tinker with on a regular basis and it XP never needs reinstalled.

---

I say hold off on the clean install until XP acts weird (which may never happen), or you decide you want to do a massive system wide update of all your apps and drivers.

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
the answer is yes and no. if you never tidy up your hard drive(defragment, delete unnecessary files....) since 2002, then u should do reformat and reinstall. i've read over the web few years back that we should reformat our hard disk once every few months to remagnetize the hard disk. im not sure whether this is true or not, any opinions and facts will help.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I have 4 year old drives that seen 24x7 service and 4 year old drives that was a never used 2nd hard drive in my mom's PC. I have very old hard drives that haven't been powered up in six years that still have all their data intact.

You never need to reformat to "remagnetize" the drive or preserve its data.

PS a clean install is often nice just to get a fresh start, I am not talking you out of doing one, just saying that it sounds like you don't NEED one for the reasons you are mention.

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Yeah, ain't that WinRot a b!+@h?

I've almost always noticed an improvement with a fresh install over cleaning out files/defragging. Maybe it's psychological, how would I know? But even if you remove files and uninstall stuff, your registry is seldom changed. Guess what gets loaded when you boot your comp? Among other things, the registry!

If possible, ghost your image before you reload a new OS, in case of problems. If you load with no problems, then ghost after fresh OS install, in case you get a pestilent virus (even with anti-virus software) later on. I have a ghost image for both my computers and it is NICE to have a fresh OS, ready to go, in about 30 minutes.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
The replys are right. No need to do a clean install unless you haven't been good about keeping your disk clean. However, you never can be too careful. Check out what is running in the background and make sure you don't have any funky programs going that slipped in the back door.