Your question

Busting AnandTech's Woodcrest vs Opteron benchmark

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • Opteron
Last response: in CPUs
June 8, 2006 4:22:54 AM

http://sharikou.blogspot.com/2006/06/busting-anandtechs...

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

We have proven that Anand a paid Intel pumper here. Now, AnandTech has done a series of Woodcrest vs Opteron benchmarks. Again, AnandTech showed Intel having substantial lead.

Really? Can a paid pumper be trusted ever again? Let's forget about the past, and look at AnandTech's newest presentations without prejudice.

One year ago, in June 2005, AandTech's Johan De Gelas did similar benchmarks on dual core Opteron. You can see from that page that Opteron MySQL performance was 17% lower under Gentoo Linux than under SuSe Linux. On the same page, AnandTech compared the MySQL (InnoDB) performance of two (2) dual core Opteron 875 processors against one (1) dual core Opteron processor under Gentoo Linux. The conclusion was that adding a processor led to about 10% performance increase. Not a whole lot by adding a CPU, but it was at least some increase.

AnandTech's system configuration on Woodcrest and Opteron is here. For both Woodcrest and Opteron, Gentoo Linux 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 and Mysql5.0.21 were used. Gentoo has about 1% of the Linux market and is getting more popular. Now, look at the MySQL performance numbers AnandTech got here.

First, we look at the comparison between one(1) 3GHZ Woodcrest Xeon 5160 and one (1) 2.4GHZ Opteron 280. The Woodcrest did 996 queries/second, while the single Opteron did 805 queries/second. The Woodcrest had 25% clockspeed advantage and 23% lead over the Opteron 280 on MySQL query speed.

Now, look at the next row, which was TWO Woodcrest CPUs against TWO Opteron 280 CPUs. The result? The 2P Opteron 280 system showed a 23% performance DECREASE from 1P Opteron 280. It did 622 queries/second. Adding a CPU in a 2P system leads to 23% drop in total MySQL performance?

Anyone with half a brain would immediately conclude that something was seriously wrong with this benchmark. The result was simply stupid. If some moron told his boss that adding a CPU actually causes performance drop, he should be fired immediately. Because he should have used his brain to fixed the sucker instead of making such stupid conclusions. You need to dig deeper, you need to debug the software and see where it's hanging, and then solve it. MySQL has a lot of parameters to tune, so does the Linux SMP kernel. You either try out all available combinations to find a rational outcome or you use your brain to identify and fix the problem. Of course, doing this requires deeper understanding of the operating system and MySQL. We don't expect AnandTech's people possess this level of knowledge, otherwise they'd be working as software or system engineers who make a lot more money and accumulate a lot of stock options. But, they should at least contact the OS and DB vendor and Google the WEB* to find a solution. If the problem was identified as a major bug in the OS or DB or was otherwise persistent, they should try some other OS such as RedHat Enterprise, SuSe Enterprise, or different versions of OS and DB. A nonsense software result simply can't be used to represent CPU performance. A nonsense result only makes the benchmarker look stupid.

Yet, AnandTech concluded that "[q]uad-core and Dual-core x86, you'll notice that the scaling is negative... It seems like an anomaly, but this is not the case. These benchmarks have been checked, verified and checked again. "

So, not only AnandTech is a paid pumper, they are also surprisingly incompetent*.

Stupidity lends no confidence.

* Google "Linux opteron dual core MySQL bug", I found this from MySQL.com's bug #15815: "I'm using MySQL 5.0.21 on a 2.6.16 Gentoo system, I've tried both Gentoo compiled and precompiled Mysql distribution, and the Xeon machine (dual xeon 3.8Ghz with 8GB RAM) acts too much better then the dual Opteron (Opteron 275 with 16GB RAM)...better as 640 tps (Xeon) versus 110 (!!!) tps for the Opteron."

Note this guy was using the Gentoo OS and the same MySQL 5.0.21 and running Opteron 275. Maybe someone noticed this bug on mysql.com and instructed Anand to use the same setup to duplicate it but present it as a benchmark? Also note the most current version of MySQL is 5.0.22.

* Actually, if you look at the first graph on this page, you can see that the 2P Opteron 280 quickly reached a saturation point at concurrency level of 2. But the 1P Opteron 280 scaled up quite nicely up to concurrency level 8. Apparently, there was a resoucre contention problem in the 2P setting. You just need to dig deeper...

More about : busting anandtech woodcrest opteron benchmark

June 8, 2006 4:27:30 AM

Take this trash elsewhere fanboy!
June 8, 2006 4:47:29 AM

LMFAO! I love how he cites himself as a factual reference :lol:  ! Its rich I say!

EDIT: Edited for spelling.
Related resources
June 8, 2006 5:32:05 AM

Quote:
We have proven that Anand a paid Intel pumper here.

No you haven't. Go away and post links to your dog on some other site where there are more clueless people who are more likely to swallow your tripe. We don't want your crap here. That's for sure.
June 8, 2006 5:35:40 AM

Quote:

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

We have proven that Anand a paid Intel pumper here. Now, AnandTech has done a series of Woodcrest vs Opteron benchmarks. Again, AnandTech showed Intel having substantial lead.

... cut ....

C'mon - I'm an AMD fan with AMD servers, notebooks etc. Even I know that the new Intel platforms is going to wipe the floor with AMD's current design.

This is GOOD. AMD have been complacent in the last couple of years with the Opteron being the best. All they did was to up the prices to some crazy level. This will now have to end.

Firstly the Opteron prices will have to fall to where they can compete against Intel CPUs. Great for me - now I can build that nice Dual CPU 4 core Server I wanted too.

Secondly AMD will have to INVENT something again. Again great stuff. They have stagnated over the past couple of years relying on their 'on-chip' memory controller to win them the day.

So now Intel has shown them that you can do better than the whole Hyperthread Idea, they will have to rethink their design.

I love competition !!
June 8, 2006 5:41:23 AM

<Sarcasm>Excellent post!</Sarcasm> I like the part where you said sharikou.blogspot.com was paid a AMD pumper.
a c 487 à CPUs
June 8, 2006 5:44:09 AM

Okay fanboy, here's the link again in case you didn't click on it in your other pitiful thread:

STFU
June 8, 2006 8:16:46 AM

Anand is paid by Intel? Aren't you paid by AMD too?
June 8, 2006 2:19:03 PM

Quote:

Busting sharikou's ass:
Everyone join in!
June 8, 2006 2:40:06 PM

I'm convinced the original poster truly believes what he says... then again, so does our president.
June 8, 2006 3:00:01 PM

June 8, 2006 3:01:33 PM

i think this thread is going to get locked!
June 8, 2006 3:06:33 PM

Whatever you do don't click on this guys link. That's exactly what he wants.
June 8, 2006 3:09:09 PM

AMD pays him for clicks on his page^^
June 8, 2006 3:58:57 PM

I know this is Sharikou, and while I also don't care for his fanboy comments, I at least found the information in this post interesting, and perhaps somewhat true. I seriously doubt Anand is in Intel's pocket, but gettingaway from those kinds of comments, let's judge the post on the techniqual aspects. It might seem like there is a bug for Opteron systems running this combo of OS/program. Can anyone here give another explaination for the decrease in performance of the Opterons in SMP?

My advice to Sharikou: Comment on Anand's article using the "Comments" link at the end of the article. That way you will actually be helping inform the author about this potential bug, rather than just whine about it on another forum.
June 8, 2006 5:04:51 PM

I can't believe you were actually brave enough to actually join and post here.

There is no way you will find any respect here.

Not even the king of idiots will be respected by wise people, because anyway he is still an idiot.

I suggest you keep to your blog, and keep blogging away; there will always be idiots to read your blog.
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2006 5:30:26 PM

You sir are a fool! No one wants you here. Go Play Elsewhere!!!

My suggestion is the freeway.
June 8, 2006 6:23:31 PM

Quote:
I know this is Sharikou, and while I also don't care for his fanboy comments, I at least found the information in this post interesting, and perhaps somewhat true. I seriously doubt Anand is in Intel's pocket, but gettingaway from those kinds of comments, let's judge the post on the techniqual aspects. It might seem like there is a bug for Opteron systems running this combo of OS/program. Can anyone here give another explaination for the decrease in performance of the Opterons in SMP?

The explanation in the article suggests poor scalability from MySQL. After all, it's not a enterprise level database. Even the Woodcrest system suffered a drop in performance.
June 8, 2006 6:35:11 PM

Does this dude really have a Ph.D? If so, which mail-order university did he get it from?
June 8, 2006 6:38:11 PM

Why couldn't you have been in the same house as al-Zarqawi yesterday ?
Yeah, you ,9-inch, and MMM are the same as he is, Extremists !!!!!
June 8, 2006 6:47:18 PM

Quote:

Really? Can a paid pumper be trusted ever again? Let's forget about the past, and look at AnandTech's newest presentations without prejudice.

I'm going to forget the "data" you've provided for now and just point out what I've quoted.

can you let us know again how you've "proved" anand is an intel pumper. I don't recall ever seeing a single thing that proved this. in fact, if anything, I would consider anand's reviews on intel to be the most trusted, since, they have seemed more AMD biased in the past than anything.

even comparing say toms intel tests vs other sites like anands, toms always seemed to put intel ahead a bit more than anands or others. something like this may suggest that toms was somewhat intel biased, but would dispell anand being the same.

just now I went to anands site, and the first ad I saw was a banner for the A64. then I noticed a clubit and antec ad. no intel ads. not saying that there aren't any, but clearly they advertise for A LOT of companies. not just intel.

no one should take your data as correct. I'd call you a disgrace to technology reviews if it didn't sound so corny. you're clearly, CLEARLY completely AMD biased (or blinded), so why should anyone take your garbage assessments of data, when they're always anti-intel pro-AMD, as correct?
June 8, 2006 8:45:15 PM

Quote:
Watch your tongue, your pushing the edge there buddy.
June 8, 2006 9:46:25 PM

Quote:
LMFAO! I love how he sites himself as a factual reference :lol:  ! Its rich I say!

It's a sign of a weak mind :) 

I'm not a PhD and I cite myself all the time. If you can't believe in what you know how can you ever learn more? When people post links it's because they are usually liars or unconfident. didn't you just do a bunch of math to determine die sizes without posting links?

Why does everyone hate taht guy? I am noticing discrepancies in Anand's testing also. I won't say he's cheating but I don't understand how they have graphs with no units.

Please don't tell me the x-axis is requests and the y axis is responses. That mean sthe unts of each data point is responses per request which is a meaningless unit. you can't ever go above one. and you can't just base the y axis on the x axis, so if x is requests, y has to be seconds, but then that's not a realisitic unit either.

has anyone else taken Algebra?
June 8, 2006 9:58:22 PM

Quote:

Hell no....this is still America, I'll say what I want to say. If you don't like it add it to your list of stuff you can't do anything about, right under the price of gas and anyone that disagrees with you.
June 8, 2006 10:05:59 PM

Quote:

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Who cares? Name one benchmark that has stood the test of time. A benchmark got busted? Every benchmark today will eventually get busted. No need to alert the press.

Or us.
June 8, 2006 10:10:44 PM

Quote:

Hell no....this is still America, I'll say what I want to say. If you don't like it add it to your list of stuff you can't do anything about, right under the price of gas and anyone that disagrees with you. Telling someone they should have been in the same house when it got bombed is a little absurd. I'm an American and glad that bastard is dead, but telling someone they should die because they post something stupid on a forum is a little over the top. You can't argue this.
June 8, 2006 10:46:32 PM

Not to me it isn't, but being an Extremist in any form is over the top and ignorant.
We're fighting them over there, and I'm fighting them over here.
I said nothing about dying, just blown up with the other Extremists.
June 8, 2006 11:07:34 PM

Hey Shak!

Just so you know,

There are several reasons that you have received this sort of a response from this community (mostly).

First, anyone who would take the time to bash another’s benchmarking system in the face of them actually (somewhat) trying to compete editorial wise is an unethical #$$%@&.

I think it best for you to define for all the folks here what/who you are (since some new readers would not know). This is only fair since you have now bashed Anand. I have read your drivel (mostly a waste of my time) and it is clearly biased. Notice I did not mention the vendor for which you are biased toward! The reason I did not mention your specific bias, is because you should have NONE! If you are putting yourself in a position of authority (self initiated, as all blogs are) then you should also accept the responsibility of that position.

You SIR, need to understand that you are scrutinized because of your statements and your self categorization as an expert. An EXPERT would be without bias almost to a fault! An expert would report the truth (regardless of your beliefs). An expert would draw conclusions based upon the facts and not based upon a preference.

YOU SIR, are "NO EXPERT".

You seem to have no understanding of a control environment, data collection, data analysis, and or synopsis.

In your current drivel you do not even come close to a Proof of Concept. Your blog at best is mindless, unsubstanitated rants!

Have a good day!
June 8, 2006 11:14:32 PM

Quote:
When people post links it's because they are usually liars or unconfident.

WTF. They do it to back up their claims. Something you know nothing about.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2006 11:33:15 PM

Sweet thread...
Was going to follow the link but I dont want to increase the numbers of hit on your page so I did'nt...

Is it just me or their was like 5+ benchmarks on that review, your toss the whole product/review because of one.

Anyway its too bad the point he's trying to make is so obviously biased because as Joefriday said, he could comment in a constructive way. I recall the banchmark he's talking about and Anandtech's team did the best they could to straighten thing up.

Finally I tend to agree with everyone, I see blind fanboyism as a lack of intelligence, or being paid big bucks and maybe in his case, both...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2006 11:37:19 PM

Quote:

Hell no....this is still America, I'll say what I want to say. If you don't like it add it to your list of stuff you can't do anything about, right under the price of gas and anyone that disagrees with you.

This is not America, this is Internet...and there's something called moderator and I tottaly agree with caboose, your opinions might defer but in no way are you entitled to make that kind of comments, as a matter of fact your are being quite extreme yourself wich according too yourself would make your over the top and ignorant.
June 8, 2006 11:41:40 PM

Quote:

Hell no....this is still America, I'll say what I want to say. If you don't like it add it to your list of stuff you can't do anything about, right under the price of gas and anyone that disagrees with you. Telling someone they should have been in the same house when it got bombed is a little absurd. I'm an American and glad that bastard is dead, but telling someone they should die because they post something stupid on a forum is a little over the top. You can't argue this.

Totally agreed!
June 9, 2006 12:10:20 AM

Quote:
Hey Shak!

Just so you know,

There are several reasons that you have received this sort of a response from this community (mostly).

First, anyone who would take the time to bash another’s benchmarking system in the face of them actually (somewhat) trying to compete editorial wise is an unethical #$$%@&.

I think it best for you to define for all the folks here what/who you are (since some new readers would not know). This is only fair since you have now bashed Anand. I have read your drivel (mostly a waste of my time) and it is clearly biased. Notice I did not mention the vendor for which you are biased toward! The reason I did not mention your specific bias, is because you should have NONE! If you are putting yourself in a position of authority (self initiated, as all blogs are) then you should also accept the responsibility of that position.

You SIR, need to understand that you are scrutinized because of your statements and your self categorization as an expert. An EXPERT would be without bias almost to a fault! An expert would report the truth (regardless of your beliefs). An expert would draw conclusions based upon the facts and not based upon a preference.

YOU SIR, are "NO EXPERT".

You seem to have no understanding of a control environment, data collection, data analysis, and or synopsis.

In your current drivel you do not even come close to a Proof of Concept. Your blog at best is mindless, unsubstanitated rants!

Have a good day!

Word.
June 9, 2006 12:26:59 AM

Interesting you never reposted after the first post. Afraid that your fanboyism is not getting you anywhere in these forums? n00b.
June 9, 2006 1:32:23 AM

(... not again!)
June 9, 2006 1:32:51 AM

There's a big difference between a known terrorist and an idiot on the internet.
June 9, 2006 5:26:15 AM

Quote:

The explanation in the article suggests poor scalability from MySQL. After all, it's not a enterprise level database. Even the Woodcrest system suffered a drop in performance.That definately sounds reasonable. Thanks. :) 
June 9, 2006 6:32:57 AM

Shakira, you are amazing. Why don't you go to Hollywood(and never come back to this evil Intel world) and bring them your excelent scenarios. You might be multi-Oscar-nominated with such excelent stories.
June 9, 2006 8:34:47 AM

Well, that really went a bit too far IMHO.

Plus you Americans shouldnt complain about gas prices, theyre ultra cheap :D 
June 9, 2006 8:57:35 AM

i wouldn't say sharikou is a dumbass, he is just... too enthusiastic about AMD's product. he even projected 7 quarters of losses for intel.

sharikou, you didn't "prove" anything. you just showed how adding a pair of core actually decrease performances. proving means you have to set up a pair of test subjects, identical to Anand's specifications. if you did that, and ran MySQL, and you find your numbers completely disagree with Anand's number, then you "proved" that their numbers are pumped up. before that, anything else is useless.

AMD really needs to rethink their strategy. a mere 4x4 aren't going to win enthusiasts' hearts back (well... unless you're an AMD fanboy). AMD needs to reinvent a whole new architecture, which is at least 2~3 generations ahead of k8.

don't believe me? wait until Conroe hits the market. you'll see how devastating that thing is. i've seen it, i've tested it myself, and now i believe.
June 9, 2006 9:07:04 AM

Sharikou is a complete moron, has no idea about what he's talking about and shouldn't even be allowed to own a blog for his stupidity. His crappy blog is called 'Journal of Pervasive 64 bit Computing', when it should really be called something like '10 Things I Hate About Intel' or 'AMD r0xx0rz'. Every single article is about why Intel is worse. One of the good ones is how an Intel 805 chip burns $300 of electricity a year or AMD has 100% of the 64-bit laptop market when NO-ONE really cares about 64-bit yet. And the final straw is him saying K8L will be the end-all - get this NO-ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT K8L PERFORMANCE YET. That blog is the most subjective piece of crap I've ever read.
June 9, 2006 3:23:34 PM

There did seem some inconsistencies in the testing. Does it invalidate all the tests? Nope. There did seem to be some problems though, showing negative scaling with the opteron. Configuration or setup problems? Without all the information of the setups, including build and compile options, noone will be able to reproduce the results. Is it concerning? Nope, because when the processors come out for real, we will see how tests go.
June 9, 2006 6:08:30 PM

Quote:
Sharikou is a complete moron, has no idea about what he's talking about and shouldn't even be allowed to own a blog for his stupidity. His crappy blog is called 'Journal of Pervasive 64 bit Computing', when it should really be called something like '10 Things I Hate About Intel' or 'AMD r0xx0rz'. Every single article is about why Intel is worse. One of the good ones is how an Intel 805 chip burns $300 of electricity a year or AMD has 100% of the 64-bit laptop market when NO-ONE really cares about 64-bit yet. And the final straw is him saying K8L will be the end-all - get this NO-ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT K8L PERFORMANCE YET. That blog is the most subjective piece of crap I've ever read.

I completely agree actually. that, and taking in chas111's opinions, if shakira really wants to be considered an "expert", he should make it clear to the general public he is biased towards AMD and dislikes intel. his blog SHOULD read something like "AMD is better".
June 9, 2006 7:06:09 PM

Quote:
There did seem some inconsistencies in the testing. Does it invalidate all the tests? Nope. There did seem to be some problems though, showing negative scaling with the opteron. Configuration or setup problems? Without all the information of the setups, including build and compile options, noone will be able to reproduce the results. Is it concerning? Nope, because when the processors come out for real, we will see how tests go.

I don't deny that. Not that I looked into that Anandtech article deeply because server performance doesn't interest me, but the point I was making is that EVERY one of his posts is anti-Intel, when was the last pro-Intel point ever made? It's all 'AMD's K8L will super frag Intel's Conroe' or something else equally stupid. No-one, I repeat no-one, has seen K8L's performance, for all we know it could be another Northwood -> Prescott disaster, I for one will keep an open mind, but clearly some of us are too dense to accept this fact. At this exact moment in time, somethings are true:

Intel has the cheapest dual-core option on the market
Intel's dual-core chips are more sensibly priced than AMD
AMD has the best dual-core performance-to-value to date in the desktop market (I think Core Duo is about equal but it's expensive)
AMD has the 64-bit market covered in laptops and desktops - but no-one cares, anyone stopped to ask why Core Duo laptops are flying off the shelves?
Neither AMD nor Intel is going to get stomped on by the other and as a result get kicked out of the market - no matter what any fanboys/dumbasses/Sharikous say

I have no allegiance to either company. I do tend to lean towards Intel because I've carefully selected what I feel is best and it is a bit specialist (now I'm running a Pentium M, before it was a Pentium 4-M Northwood because it was dirt cheap and could run at a lower voltage, had the Pentium M not come around in an SFF case, I'd have gone Athlon 64 without a doubt). Next chip, probably Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. With all this in mind, all the PCs I have built and been consulted on in the last year were some AMD variants (Sempron, Athlon XP, Athlon 64 or Athlon X2).

Edit was for spelling.
June 9, 2006 7:29:21 PM

Is there really people writting and reading those blogs?? IT'S SOOO GEEK
damn....
:| he really needs to get laid...
June 9, 2006 7:33:14 PM

Well, I can't remember how I stumbled on it, I think it was a comment at Anandtech forums. Anyway, yes, I read it, it took me 5 minutes to do so. And no, it's not affecting my sex-life or otherwise in a negative way.
a c 105 à CPUs
June 9, 2006 7:43:42 PM

Quote:
There's a big difference between a known terrorist and an idiot on the internet.

I don't think NSA knows that! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
June 9, 2006 10:22:00 PM

Quote:
AMD has 100% of the 64-bit laptop market when NO-ONE really cares about 64-bit yet.

You don't speak for everyone. Just because you personally don't care about 64-bit, doesn't mean that no one does. Ask P4-Man... 64-bit will become mainstream much sooner than anyone seems to think... thanks in large part to AMD.
June 9, 2006 10:31:32 PM

Did I ever say I spoke for everyone, no? Maybe I worded that wrong (I should have put a 'realistically' in front of the 'no-one'), but the fact is (no matter how you disguise it), the majority doesn't use or need 64-bit AT THIS POINT IN TIME. There are no significant advancements from using it. The point I was trying to get across was that Sharikou harps on about this point in many of his pointless rants/blogs, but I am yet to see how having 64-bit in Turion laptops has helped AMD capture the marketshare. And I didn't say it wouldn't be mainstream soon, but you do reinforce my point that it is not mainstream now. The fact that you legitimately argued your point without massive bias makes me have a lot more respect for you than that idiot, Sharikou.

I will get 64-bit when it is necessary, but since it arrived on the scene 3 years ago, I am yet to see any benefit from it, I would far sooner have a dual-core 32-bit CPU than a single-core 64-bit CPU (hypothetically if I could only have one feature).
June 9, 2006 10:50:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think NSA knows that! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
I was wondering what happened to MMM. :lol: 
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!