Sign in with
Your question

BIOS Only detecting half of my DDR2 Ram!

Last response: in Memory
June 8, 2006 4:40:54 AM

I have a weird situation:

Current system -

Pentium D 805 overclocked to 3.3 GHz 667MHz FSB
GA-8N-SLI Mobo BIOS version F3
2 GB of OCZ DDR2-667 PC5400 Dual Channel.

In the BIOS at the POST screen, it shows I have 1024MB = 1 GIG. In Windows XP, it shows I have 1 GIG also.

In CPU-Z, it shows I have 2 Gigs, running in Channel # (Dual). My timings are 4-5-5-13. Also, it's only reporting it as PC5300 instead of PC5400.

So why is there a discrepancy between the Bios/XP and CPU-Z?
Also, when I take the sticks out and place only one stick of ram in there, it shows half of that (e.g. 1 GIG shows as 512K).

I have not updated my BIOS as I see nothing is wrong with it, but I don't know if this is the problem. Here are my two questions:

1) Why is it showing different values?
2) Is it fixable?
3) How do I fix the ram to be PC5400 instead of PC5300?
4) How do I change the timings for the ram, I am supposed to get 5-5-5-10 as advertised, is my current setup faster or slower than that timing? Thanks!
June 10, 2006 3:51:12 AM

No, I have done everything correctly. I have placed it in Dual channel mode in the correct slots. CPUZ is showing that I have two sticks in DUAL channel mode, with 2GB of ram. Whereas the BIOS and WINDOWSXP is showing only half. I'm just not getting it reported correctly. Also, CPUZ says it's PC5300 instead of the 5400 that I bought. I think I might need to change the speed or something. I bought the ram with 667MHZ thinking that I would overclock the CPU to 667Mhz FSB also to match.
June 10, 2006 5:41:38 AM

I have tried updating the BIOS, but it gets stuck in the last step for some reason. So i gave up on updating it. I have tried moving it to different slots and even tested each stick in the MOBO instead of running it in pairs. I am thinking about returning/RMA for another brand that will be compatible. I'm thinking that it's incompatible or something.

Here's the reason why I bought it.

My Processor is the 805D 2.6GHZ at 533MHZ FSB
I could go with the PC5400 which is also 533MHZ

If I decide to overclock the 805 to like 3.3 GHZ, it'll be 667MHZ FSB. Therefore, I wanted ram to be upped to work alongside of it. Hence, I chose the PC5400 which is 667MHZ.

Is this theory right or wrong? I am contacting OCZ, Gigabyte (not solution so far), and will return the ram if I can't get it fixed. Please help!
Related resources
June 10, 2006 7:17:29 AM

Your theory about the RAM going to the default speed while the CPU is overclocked is right.

These days, it's unlikely that there's a conflict with the memory as we've moved away from incompatibility with double sided RAM modules.

First thing I would do is update your BIOS again but try by floppy disc. Failing to do a BIOS update can stuff it up. Don't worry, that mb is protected because it has dual bios but it's still good to get the update done right.

Now, I found 1 google article on your problem and it took me to the ocz forum. They say return it as it might be an SPD problem.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-21...
June 10, 2006 1:40:14 PM

Actually, this model only has 1 BIOS. I have the entry level one, not the pro or royal.

I just flashed the BIOS using a floppy disk. I made sure it was the correct model number, etc. The Update went well, no problems there (no power outtages, no resets). So when it asked for a reset after the BIOS update, I hit the key it wanted to reset (ESC) and now my MOBO/computer won't turn on to POST. The lights and fans go on, even the power supply but getting no video to the monitor.

I've tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper, unplugging the power supply & taking the battery out for 10 minutes, and nothing has worked. I know it's not a power supply issue as it is a brand new model and I have 580 wants plenty to go around.

What do I do now? I'm basically stuck now.
June 10, 2006 3:39:25 PM

This is a real shot in the dark but try using one memory stick to see if you can get it to boot( I understand that you flashed the bios by floppy and now its not booting). If not it sounds like you had a bad bios or memory that may not have been compatible or even bad or wrong memory. By wrong I mean it could have been mismarked at the factory, had that happen a long time ago. Are you getting any "beep" codes?
June 10, 2006 11:00:26 PM

Quote:
This is a real shot in the dark but try using one memory stick to see if you can get it to boot( I understand that you flashed the bios by floppy and now its not booting). If not it sounds like you had a bad bios or memory that may not have been compatible or even bad or wrong memory. By wrong I mean it could have been mismarked at the factory, had that happen a long time ago. Are you getting any "beep" codes?

I used one memory stick, then the other, nothing works. If i take out the memory sticks, it beeps long (no memory error). I went to my friend's house to borrow some PC4200 DDR2 Corsair (2x512MB) and that doesn't make the machine post either. I used my ram into his computer and it starting BSOD and freezing his computer. So now I am probably going to return the MOBO and RAM...

Man. ... at first i was having ram detection problems... i thought it was the BIOS, now i have a worser problem... It was working before... pretty fast too.. just reporting mem wrong... *sigh*
June 11, 2006 6:11:08 AM

The fact that his motherboard is correctly giving the no memory output sound when he hasn't got any memory in makes me think the BIOS chip isn't fried. I could be wrong though.
!