Another PW5D2 problem...

BigB1588

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I recently purchase a pentium 805d to do some cheap overclocking with. I bought the normal Pw5d2 along with it. Im pretty sure the mobo is compatible with the 805. Loaded up, it would post. In the beginning I got a "Intel CPU uCode Loading Error". I flashed it with the most up to date bios. That fix the ucode error. Now when I try to install xp pro 64 it sets up and when it reaches starting up windows, I get a blue screen. and then it reboots. I swapped out the hd with my other computers harddrive with xp already on it. It gets to the windows loading screen and crashes, then reboots. Asus's website said that this cpu wont work with 915/925 series chipsets, but it would with the 945/955 ones, which is what i have. I have taken everything apart and put it back together 3x over. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

Specs:
asus pw5d2
pentium 805d 533mhz
2gigs corsair xms pc6400 800mhz
evga geforce 7900gtx 512mb
hitachi 200gb hd
600w psu
(water cooling soon to come if i can get the rest of the shit to work)

killkillkill

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
i'm sorry but i havent really any suggestions,but i did have that chip in my board and it worked fine.i even managed 3.6 stable.here are my specs if they help any
p.d 930@4ghz-270x15@1.31vcore
asus p5wd2 with 0501 bios
2x512mb patriot pc7200
x800gto 256mb
2x sataII hitachi 80gb's raid0

sn0lcn

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Was the hard drive with the xp install already on it from a single-core x86 system? I had problems when upgrading my northy to a 930, had to reinstall windows. As for the first part of your question, I hate 64-bit windows, I've had nothing but problems with it, although it did install fine on my 820 system.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
what board do you have?

8O
do you mean the P5Wd2

there is a problem with the 64 bit operating systems on that board.
there is a beta chipset driver to fix this
a lot of good it will do if you cant load the operating system.
:lol:
if you could load Xp 32 bit -update drivers then upgrade to Xp 64
that may work
if you use the f6 option try this
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/df-support/10751/eng/f6flpy64.zip&agr=&ProductID=2101&DwnldId=10751&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

I recently purchase a pentium 805d to do some cheap overclocking with. I bought the normal Pw5d2 along with it. Im pretty sure the mobo is compatible with the 805. Loaded up, it would post. In the beginning I got a "Intel CPU uCode Loading Error". I flashed it with the most up to date bios. That fix the ucode error. Now when I try to install xp pro 64 it sets up and when it reaches starting up windows, I get a blue screen. and then it reboots. I swapped out the hd with my other computers harddrive with xp already on it. It gets to the windows loading screen and crashes, then reboots. Asus's website said that this cpu wont work with 915/925 series chipsets, but it would with the 945/955 ones, which is what i have. I have taken everything apart and put it back together 3x over. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

Specs:
asus pw5d2

pentium 805d 533mhz
hitachi 200gb hd
600w psu
(water cooling soon to come if i can get the rest of the **** to work)

For starters I couldn't find any Asus board with the numbers you listed. There is a P5LD2 Asus board. That board takes takes a max RAM speed of PC5400 DDR2 667 mhz. speed RAM and the board does not specifically list the 533 mhz FSB of the 805 D as compatible.

Your RAM is 800 mgz. RAM incompatibility could be the problem. If your getting an 'Intel' error I'm sure it's something along these lines.

sn0lcn

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
There are actually two p5ld2 boards, one takes what you said, and one take a bunch more. Go to newegg.com and do a search for p5ld2 and you'll see what I'm talking about. Anyway, I highly doubt it's an issue with the ram.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That Corsair RAM probably has PC2-5400 SPD values anyway. If he took it up to 800 you'd think he'd know to also bring the voltage up to Corsair's recommended level, but maybe not.

I still find it worrisome that he listed the brands/models of other parts but just put "600W PSU" like that's supposed to mean anything.

Specs:
asus pw5d2
pentium 805d 533mhz
hitachi 200gb hd
600w psu
(water cooling soon to come if i can get the rest of the **** to work)

When you put your other systems hard drive in, you say it reaches windows loading screen then crashes. Of course it does. You should set your BIOS to boot from the CD rom. Leave the other system's hard drive in unless you have another HD you can reformat without losing important data. Stick a windows CD in, not the 64 bit, and try and load windows on your new system.

You old system's HD has the wrong MB drivers, etc on it, it going to crash when it gets to windows and windows sees your new system for the first time with your other systems stuff on it. It's like turning on a cold shower. Ahhhhhhhhh! Ke mo sa be!

camsmith

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Just to check - Have you installed the IDE drivers? You need to create a floppy disk for the CD included with the motherboard. If you don't load these, windows will not recognisethe second IDE controller on the motherboard (this is why you have three IDE ports).

When you change motherboards, you need to reinstall (repair) windows. On reinstallation, you need to press F6 and load the additional drive controllers from the floppy created above.

A simple step and one that had me pulling my hair out for a while. I had symptoms similar to what you are describing - blue screen mentioned something hard drive related.

This is not documented in the manual that I could see.

Miccim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
People that have answered doesent have the solutions. I do!

I have left a pm so you can contact me....

1: there is an ASUS P5WD2 board
2: no problems with this ram
3: you can change your motherboard without reinstalling windows

But pm me for details

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Facts
1) There's NO Pw5d2 but there is P5WD2
2) You can not just swap a HD from another computer machine unless the other computer has identical components and motherboard is the major problem. If the other computer DOES NOT have an Asus P5WD2, you will not boot into Windows.
3) Just format the HD with XP 32bit on your new machine it will work fine after installation.

Miccim

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
You idiot!

I have a P5wd2 i my computer just google for it fool. Read my post before you say im wrong!!!

You can change motherboard without reinstalling. STOP POSTING WRONG FACTS!!!

Just take all unnessesary cards out an remove then im windows, restart with all the things you can deactivated. Change motherboard. Make a windows repair with you windows dish an start activating things again, and reinstall drivers m.m. ( Soryy for the poor english)