FWD/Pulver vis Skype

Is there or has anyone carried out an pros and cons analysis between FWD and
Skype?

Sidkney

SidKnee <yza82REMOVE@SPAMTRAPukgateway.net> wrote:
> Is there or has anyone carried out an pros and cons analysis between FWD and
> Skype?

Ordinarily people would pay big bucks for a technology industry analysis
paper but what the hey, I'm in a good mood so you get it for free:

Skype:

Pro: It's really easy to set up.
Cons: Requires using a PC and headset, or gizmos to connect a phone
directly to a PC
Doesn't interconnect with anyone else, so you have to pay Skype rates
No way to receive incoming calls from non-Skype users

FWD etc:

Con: Harder to get going
Pros: You can use almost any equipment
You can, in various ways, connect with almost anyone (except Skype)
You can really do anything you can imagine as long as you have the
time to work it out
You can shop around for the best rates for termination.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

You omitted to mention where you are, but I spy a ukgateway, in which case
the answer to you question
is NEITHER.
Your best bet is www.sipgate.co.uk principally because you get a FREE
incoming UK geographical No. of your choice,
there is no rental, and you can call almost any SIP based VoIP number
anywhere for free.
Calls to POTS lines cost just 1.12p / min anytime to UK and most of the
first world.
Regards,
Martin

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:55:33 +0000, SidKnee wrote:

> Is there or has anyone carried out an pros and cons analysis between FWD
> and Skype?

Skype has little to do with SIP or IAX voIP service because it calls
directly to the peer and uses proprietary protocol so can only talk to
other Skype software. In that way, Skype is closed to the world of
other voIP users while using voIP technology.

On a practical level, Skype has shown again and again that it can provide
better quality calls even on dialup, and is easier to set up than any
existing SIP/IAX product to set up.