mmorpg's current and future video cards...curious questions

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
What's going to help current and future mmorpgs the most from future graphics card a bigger memory interface, more onboard ram, or more pipelines and shaders? Also what are the pro's and con's to each of them for massively multiplayer games?

I'm curious how the effect the different aspects of mmo's because those types of games in general over the years I've always seemed to find the most taxing/stressful overall on the systems. Mmorpg's are a quite a bit more complex than other games in the sense that literally hundreds of textures can be loaded to and from memory entering congested areas. It would be nice if video card companies would start trying to offer some better alternative cards based on types of games people play like a video card more targeted towards single player high quality graphics, one that's more of a mixture of multiplayer and quality graphics, then a card that's geared towards more towards massively multiplayer gamers that's perhaps a little slower at graphically intense games like farcry or fear but really excells for mmo's where the graphics are lower to begin with, but more seemless at handling running across hundreds of players at a time. I think more onboard ram for video cards and a bigger memory interface might be big keys towards making mmo's seem more seemless in those types of spots. I could be wrong, but that's my assumption at least. It's great having 90fps in a mmo the majority of the time however id trade the extra 30fps for more seemless gameplay. Hopefully in the future video cards will have enough ram to load all the textures into the video cards ram to prevent stuttering from texture caching all while maintaining acceptible frames per second. It would be intresting to see some benchmarks on how memory interface, amount of onboard ram, pixel pipelines, and shaders individually effect the performance in mmo's just so people have a better idea of what to look forward to in the future. I like first person shooter too, but my bread & butter of gaming has been mmo's for quite some time. It's just a shame there's barely any benchmarks regarding them which is unfortunate. Anyways look forward to some responses on what people think or know on the subject.

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
con of mmorpg's tbh means losing all life playing them all day everyday i would always tell anyone who is thinking about starting NO DONT ULL HAVE NO LIFE lol well thats just my opinon! fps = the way forward

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
con of mmorpg's tbh means losing all life playing them all day everyday i would always tell anyone who is thinking about starting NO DONT ULL HAVE NO LIFE lol well thats just my opinon! fps = the way forward

You can waste your entire life playing FPSs too buddy. I've played Earth & Beyond (yes I'm ashamed), EVE: Online, Star Wars Galaxies(damn you SOE), WoW, and still currently play Final Fantasy XI which I started 2 years ago. Guess what? I have and have had a girlfriend throughout playing all of those games. If you're someone who gets sucked into a game and has no life because of it, you already had issues before you started playing the game.

Don't blame the game because a person is too weak as an individual and too stupid mentally to know when to stop playing.

To the topic of the actual thread, with my system specs below I've played WoW and FFXI and both ran flawlessy. I had a little graphical lag sometimes flying into Ironforge in WoW but nothing major. For EVE and SWG I had a 2.6GHz P4, 1GB RAM, and a 128MB 9800 Pro and both ran great there too. SWG wasn't quite at max detail but pretty close (just foliage draw distance and shadows weren't at max).

So even not the greatest hardware can play modern MMOs just fine. I hear Vanguard is going to have some hefty requirements though and I was in the D&D:Online beta and it ran good on my system too. A guy at work plays D&D:Online and with a Dell XPS 700 with a 3.2GHz Pentium D, 2GB RAM, and a 7900GS (not GT) he apparently plays it at 1920x1200 just fine on a 23" Dell LCD(so he told me).

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Agreed. The people that get addicted to games have other issues... if it weren't WoW or some other MMORPG, it would be gambling, hookers or drugs... some people just have addictive personalities. I'm a casual gamer and have a normal/healthy social life... yes, I sometimes feel like the gf/friends intrude on game time, but overall I keep a healthy balance.

cleeve

Illustrious
MMOs frequently use lower-end graphics engines to work on as many people's computers as possible. Some games buck this trend (Everquest & Galaxies), but many MMOs like WoW require very little in the way of graphic prowess.

If you're upgrading for the future, just buy the best you can afford. Having said that, buying for the future is silly... upgrading makes the most sense when you already own a game that isn't running as fast as you'd like it to... then when you upgrade you can see the results immediately.

If you upgrade for something in the future, by the time that future game arrives there will be a cheaper, more powerful video card you could have spent your money on...

TRENDING THREADS