Can FSBuild do this ?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been looking at flight planning utils. Obviously I need something
that works where I fly a lot, ie New Zealand (where I live). FSB is
my preferred choice but it seems to have an annoying limitation that
pretty well knocks it out of contention.

I read in the FSB support forums that FSB will allow me to plot a
waypoint that is a given distance down a given radial from a VOR *if
the VOR has a three character code*. Here in New Zealand our VORs
only have two character codes. Is the 3 character code bit still
correct, or can I plot waypoints now based on VORs with 2 character
codes ?

FSNav will allow me to get these points in via bearing fixes but it's
a clunky workaround, the FSB system is a lot more elegant when it
works.

Cheers
Gary

dallas

"Gary"
> FSNav will allow me to get these points in via bearing fixes but it's
> a clunky workaround,

Clunky in FSNav? Unless I miss understand, it's easy as pie.

I put the pointer in the center of the VOR and press/hold the right mouse
button.

Then I drag the pointer out, reading the bearing and distance until the
pointer is in the correct place.

As a little trick you can tap the left mouse button when you reach the point
and it won't zoom the map when you let go of the right button.

With out moving the pointer, I press/hold the left button again, then drag
and drop the waypoint into flight plan box.

Total time 3 seconds.

Let me know if this works for you.

Dallas

GREGORY

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:33:58 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gary"
>> FSNav will allow me to get these points in via bearing fixes but it's
>> a clunky workaround,
>
>Clunky in FSNav? Unless I miss understand, it's easy as pie.
>
>I put the pointer in the center of the VOR and press/hold the right mouse
>button.
>
>Then I drag the pointer out, reading the bearing and distance until the
>pointer is in the correct place.
>
>As a little trick you can tap the left mouse button when you reach the point
>and it won't zoom the map when you let go of the right button.
>
>With out moving the pointer, I press/hold the left button again, then drag
>and drop the waypoint into flight plan box.
>
>Total time 3 seconds.
>
>Let me know if this works for you.
>
>Dallas

yep.. it works like Dallas describes.. or very near to it. It's almost
like `flightplanCAD' { grin } One thing FSNav lacks.. is detailed
fuelflow and performance tables. One can overcome that by entering
averaged values in the properties box. Here's an example:

How to set FSNav fuelflows...
http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/b722_climbFF.gif (11k)

Notice this FDR (data recorder) analysis taken from FS8 of actual B722
flight dynamics.. on the climb. Initial FF is ~33,200 pph and the `top
of climb' FF is 12,300 pph. What value to enter in FSNav? ..the mean
climb FF of 19,275 pph in this case. Climb profile is curvefit for
smoothing and characterization. Also the initial cruise FF is 8,300
pph as measured. That's the idea.. now how does it vary?? you see!

* * *

There doesn't seem to be a winds aloft correction.. what's the work-
around? Sometimes the `Manual Waypoints Setting' are a bit tricky..
it's a challenge and not a pain.

As for FSBuild.. it's the next progressive step in detailed flight
planning.. has lots of good features.. but will likely wait till v3
when the GUI or `shell' is just a bit more spiffy!!

FSNav is a slick Flight Planner, Nav-Aid reference, and Universal FMS.

-Gregory

p.s. in FSNav ALT/cruise speed menu.. my speeds are 10kt resolution..
what causes this? an FSUIPC thing?

dallas

"Gregory"
> One thing FSNav lacks.. is detailed
> fuelflow and performance tables. One can overcome that by entering
> averaged values in the properties box.

Yeah, but can you import the values from a spreadsheet? :p

Dallas

GREGORY

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:25:14 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gregory"
>> One thing FSNav lacks.. is detailed
>> fuelflow and performance tables. One can overcome that by entering
>> averaged values in the properties box.
>
>Yeah, but can you import the values from a spreadsheet? :p
>

>Dallas

no Sir.. not directly. You open the Cruise ALT / Speed dialog and edit
the climb, cruise, and descent FF's.. changing just one Ave number.
After doing a number of spreadsheets, looking at tech manuals, and
running many flights.. you'll know pretty well what numbers to use.

But of course.. you're pulling my... leg, Right!! :+]

-G

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>Clunky in FSNav? Unless I miss understand, it's easy as pie.
>

>Total time 3 seconds.
>
>Let me know if this works for you.

Nope, sorry, couldn't duplicate that.

No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to take more than 2.5
seconds.

:-D

Thank you so very much for that !

Gary

dallas

"Gregory"
> But of course.. you're pulling my... leg, Right!! :+]

Well, you could export the spreadsheet in delimited format, write a small
routine to reorganize the data into one of the FSNav import formats and....

Actually, yes... I'm pulling your leg. :)

Dallas