what paper ? WAS the truth about....

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Some research was needed but I found out exactly what the paper I get in bulk
is.

Factory seconds: Edge damage

Ilford Gallerie Smooth Gloss.

Its not always available.

Sometimes it is Polaroid Photo Paper, but those boxes are marked Polaroid, so
I can avoid them if I want. (I dont avoid it, it makes a good general use
glossy paper, but the buk boxes are the same price as the hundred count
retail boxes ($20 per hundred count $200 per thousand count)

I get it from a non chain warehouse store in my area.
(last time I told someone the exact details he went out and bought it all and
resold it on E-bay I couldnt get any for 6 months).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"Larry" <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Some research was needed but I found out exactly what the paper I get in bulk
> is.
>
> Factory seconds: Edge damage
>
> Ilford Gallerie Smooth Gloss.
>
> Its not always available.
>
> Sometimes it is Polaroid Photo Paper, but those boxes are marked Polaroid, so
> I can avoid them if I want. (I dont avoid it, it makes a good general use
> glossy paper, but the buk boxes are the same price as the hundred count
> retail boxes ($20 per hundred count $200 per thousand count)
>
> I get it from a non chain warehouse store in my area.
> (last time I told someone the exact details he went out and bought it all and
> resold it on E-bay I couldnt get any for 6 months).
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

Ilford smooth gloss is an instant dry paper. Instant dry is accomplished by
having a micro porous top layer through which the inks can quickly migrate to
the lower receiving layers. Problem is, the porous top layer also lets
atmospheric contaminants get to those dyes after printing is complete. There
are other papers less likely to gas fade.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <9vV%d.15563$UV2.4245@trnddc04>, samtheman@verizon.net says...
> Ilford smooth gloss is an instant dry paper. Instant dry is accomplished by
> having a micro porous top layer through which the inks can quickly migrate to
> the lower receiving layers. Problem is, the porous top layer also lets
> atmospheric contaminants get to those dyes after printing is complete. There
> are other papers less likely to gas fade.

Thats why (generally) I only use it for handouts, freebies, signs ect. My
whole point my testing was to see how long a print that I KNEW was going to
fade could be prevented from fading.

Customer stuff ALWAYS goes on either Epsons best or Canons best (depending on
which printer Im using. (usually the Epson, as the Canon paper hasnt been
available locally with any regularity).

I suppose I'll have to buy it online this year.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Douglas

For my "samples",I use my best paper!I want to show my clients the quality
of my product!Same with inks,I do not use el-cheapo generics.I have well
over 100 types of paper on hand.The only time I use less than the best is a
trial print,for my own testing.