Massive AM2 single core price drop

jbblanchet

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Thats nowhere near cheap and furthermore I cant imagine that anyone is willing to buy those CPUs.

Well it's interesting for 2 reasons:

a) You need to buy a computer now but you believe that a price and performance war is finally restarting between AMD and Intel, so you think you'll be able to upgrade your single core for a nice 65nm dual or quad core in a few months at a much lower price then if you bought a 90nm dual core now.

b) These processors came out just last week and have already dropped in price (45% drop for the 3800+), which means AMD is very aggressive in their pricing. We should expect a similar drop in dual core prices in the next few days. The strength of AMD has always been their price edge over Intel, and they forgot that lately.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
The dual cores need the price cuts too. I wish 939 X2s would qet cuts. Guess ebay may get flooded with them soon, I'll have to watch. But yah, who wants a single core for the price of dual? The 805 and 930 are in this price range.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
These price are in USD from NCIX, since this morning (all processors Athlons, not Semprons):

3000+ $98.21
3200+ $107.13
3500+ $124.99 <-- Now that's a bargain
3800+ $157.13 <-- Unbelievable. It's still $286 on newegg

I wonder if the dual cores will have the same drop in the next few days!

EDIT:
All prices updated for USD, links added

Well, we all knew that AMD was going to have to do this eventually in the wake of Intel's massive price cuts. This is bad news for AMD. Without 65nm ramped up they can't possibly be profitable at these prices. I see lots of red ink in AMD's future until at least K8L.

On a side note, the price action on both intel and AMD stock here lately is saying this price war is gonna have a negative effect on both companies financials.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
The closest priced pentium D was the 820, at approximately 6 dollars less. It also scored ~10% worse in games, at a minimum. In quake3 it was more like 60 frames worse (out of ~250 for the A64). It was also 2 minutes faster at encoding divx but ~1.5 minutes slower with clonedvd, so buy it for what you use it for.

That's a great price for a good performing processor and a great solution for those of us (me) that want an A64 system but don't want to go all out until the 65nm/K8L chips come.

4745454b

Titan
I consider these to be pretty good cuts. Last I looked, the cheapest S939 CPU was the 3000 for ~$150. It then became a 3200 for ~$130. If you could now get an AM2 3800+ for a hair over $150, that is great. I do hope that AMD cuts the price on Semprons and dual core chips too. Although from what I understand, there aren't any/many dual core AM2 chips out right now.

kuff_kuff

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Anybody notice the lack of reviews on the AM2 chips at Newegg? are ppl holding out for Core 2 Duo....

I think so....

It think this price move is/ can be a couple of things:

1. to give new buyers a reason to more to AM2, cause there wasnt much incentive before other than future upgrades. i am sure alot of ppl are still buying the 939 versions.

Question is of course, what is this going to do to their ASP?

2. to give ppl sitting on the fence a push in AMD's direction, the more ppl they suck in now, the less left for intel, cause both Intel and AMD will require new motherboard purchases, so its a toss up in a sense, and AMD wants to get as many as they can before the Conroe boards start selling.

I think this will work to an extent, but not to the extent that they would like, cause anyone in the market for a budget pc now can get a PD 805 for $125 and its going to be much more useful to ppl just looking for a budget, non-celeron/sempron PC.

I guess we will see what other pricing changes AMD will implement cause these are only single core.

And i'm still getting a conroe anyway.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
If you like single-core :lol:
Ye your right a DC chip that consumes 2x the power of a single core A64 while giving signifigantly less performance in single threaded apps is what everyone needs :roll:

Thats nowhere near cheap and furthermore I cant imagine that anyone is willing to buy those CPUs.

Once again, your ignorance shows.

$100 for an Athlon 64 3200+ is an absolute bargain. We all hoped this would happen and it has. The next thing AMD needs to do is drop is Dual-core pricing.

Competition = Everyone wins

kuff_kuff

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I think it's funny. Intel has AMD backed into a corner. Didn't AMD just

raise prices around a month, month and a half ago?

Well i figure they were just filling their coffers with cash before they had to reduce prices,

I think one thing ppl dont realise is that AMD knows more about Intel's strategy than we do, and they know it before we do, so their plans will have started before the IDF demonstration.

I dont think anyone doubts that AMD has Conroe systems in testing in their own labs and probably have the most comprehensive testing on it, apart from Intel of course.

They are preparing for the storm.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

Lol, where do we get these ignorant posters from? The Inquirer?
I can think of a million reasons. Im just mad cause I just paid $120 for a Sempron64 3600+. :?

jonathanm

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Thats really good to hear, ive got a new am2 system and was after an x2 3800+ (around £200). I then went on to find an x2 4000+ for about the same price (x2 3800+ £20 cheaper). Im not sure if this is a drop in price or a seriously cheap website at lowestonweb.com

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I like the price cuts comming from AMD but I do wish they had been more agressive :) (was kinda hopeing for them to put some pressure back on Intel so that Intel would lower prices some more heheheheh) Well its all good any price cuts are good for the consumer and in the long run good for the market.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I wish AMD had dropped the prices of the X2s about a month ago. And I wish that I had Corsair XMS RAM, rather than this $hitty generic stuff. And I wish that I had an X1900XT, although an X1800XT would do. Hell, I wish someone would buy me a new computer. But none of this is going to happen, and I can't send back my CPU.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

But you have to overclock an 805 to beat a 3000+ which are about the same price. Unless you only use multithreaded games and apps, but then at stock speed it still may lose.

So i guess who wants an 805 if they don't oveclock?