AnneZZZZ

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I'm building a gaming computer for my daughter and have I've read a Conroe motherboard's thread and I was thinking of going with the ABIT AB9 Pro. I will probably go with the E6700 Conroe.

My question is will the nVidia 7950GX2 work with this setup?

Which manufacturer should I go with on the nVidia 7950GX2 and why do you choose that particular manufacturer?

What sort of RAM should I get for gaming with this mobo?

I'd like to run Oblivion without many hiccups. :)

Comments and suggestions are welcome, although I plan on staying Conroe with a fairly tight budget. Thanks in advance!

-Anne-

Links for reference:

AB9Pro
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=107729

nVidia 7950 GX2
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/05/geforce_7950_gx2/

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I think you should do some reading and determine what YOUR needs are. I'm quite sure you've been reading here previously and you know what you're in for, so go back over the relevant posts and decide. What makes you think that 7950 and Conroe won't work together, that thought alone is quite scarey and where did you come up with that ?
Not sure about that 7950 it is nice but do you really need it ? You should maybe wait till Conroe is released to see if it's all that and a bag of chips. I'm not saying it isn't, but looking back into the past I believe nothing till I see it.

AnneZZZZ

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I thought I stated what my needs were-mostly gaming computer with high fps at high res. I'm impressed with the 7950GX2. The abit AB9 pro press release just came out so I am wondering about opinions of it with those components, not a compatibility issue.

However, I would really like to know opinions on what ram would feed the Conroe's needs in that setup.

I am just planning well in advance and would like to hear what other conroe builders plan to do.

Thanks! Anne

kuff_kuff

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I thought I stated what my needs were-mostly gaming computer with high fps at high res. I'm impressed with the 7950GX2. The abit AB9 pro press release just came out so I am wondering about opinions of it with those components, not a compatibility issue.

However, I would really like to know opinions on what ram would feed the Conroe's needs in that setup.

I am just planning well in advance and would like to hear what other conroe builders plan to do.

Thanks! Anne

u will have no problems with a Conroe CPU and the 7950GX2, any board with a pcie slot will handle it just fine,

unless u plan on overclocking, DDR2 667Mhz will be fine, DDR2 800 is still better though.

the 7950GX2 is probably a good choice for that board since u will get SLI performance without needing an SLI board.

Hope i helped!

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
The 7950GX2 is a pci express graphics card and the ab9 offers 1 pci express port (I don't think there are any conroe motherboards that support sli/crossfire so that's out of the question) so yes, there are no other compatiblity problems to worry about...

Well, almost, the gx2 is almost like 2 graphics cards so make sure you have a good power supply. Also, make sure there's good case airflow, this should mean nothing more than keeping all the wires in the computer clean.

What RAM? That's a good question. DDR2 SDRAM is what you need but as for the speeds and timings: You'd probably be best with DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ram. Slower ram like DDR2 667 or DDR2 533 runs at slower speeds but it's should make too much of a difference to your system but it is quite a bit cheaper. As for latencies, once again, it shouldn't matter too much but try and get 4-4-4-12 or lower timings. RAM is expensive at the moment, you might wanna plump for slower RAM at the moment and wait for RAM prices to drop.

Make sure whatever you do with the RAM timings and speed, get 2GB. It's really useful these days.

kuff_kuff

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
The 7950GX2 is a pci express graphics card and the ab9 offers 1 pci express port (I don't think there are any conroe motherboards that support sli/crossfire so that's out of the question)

Actually ATI allows Crossfire on the 975 chipset, Intel's 975XBX "Badaxe" board supports it for sure.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
2GBs of ram will be good for oblivion, i think the GX2 wil as well, so i cant say much but; enjoy the rig!
if i had that kind of money, it hink i would go with a solution like that as well..
and as it was said earlyer.. go with DDR2 667 and good timings..
you should also make sure about the power supply cauce even though this is not an Ati card, it is still powerhungry...

kuff_kuff

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
No problem, glad i could help

i'll be getting :

7600GT and the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 800Mhz memory

I have a 19" LCD so all my gaming is at 1280x1024 , i dont need the fastest card to push that resolution

i also plan to overclock as i do alot of video transcoding and will appreciate the faster cpu. The faster RAM will help the overclock and i believe with the 965 chipset u can set FSB and memory speed separately.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Yes you did, sorry.
I'm going to build a new system also, could right now but hardware is a toss up right now. It's too tough a call to make right now.

BuddyGoodness

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
I want to build a comp using the Intel 805 oc'ed to 3.4 ghz or so and a 7950 GX2. I can't seem to figure out what is a good motherboard that is compatable with both those. I think I have found some but I am not sure. Does anyone know some good motherboards I can use for this? Also, about what size of PSU would I need for that power hungry card and the extra juice that will be used overclocking the 805.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

Thanks! Anne

Considering Conroe does not exist yet, it is really too early to try and plan a Conroe system. Intel has not said if Conroe will be FSB 800 or FSB 1066. Wait until the July release, to start planning your system. You won't be able to touch a Conroe CPU until probably September anyway.

kuff_kuff

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Considering Conroe does not exist yet, it is really too early to try and plan a Conroe system. Intel has not said if Conroe will be FSB 800 or FSB 1066. Wait until the July release, to start planning your system. You won't be able to touch a Conroe CPU until probably September anyway.

Huhhhh?

It is well known that Conroe will be FSB 1066

Motherboard choices are available, all the tier 1 manufacturers already have their board getting read for retail,

The only pieces missing are CPU and Motherboard, we have ALOT of information on both readily available online, there is no reason why you cant plan your purchases now.

I know exactly the cpu i'm getting and i am waiting to see the price on 965 vs rd600 boards to know which one i'm getting,

I guess i am not sure y u're making out like we dont knwo whats comming.

TRENDING THREADS