Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to upgrade?

Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2006 7:31:06 PM

I was given a Dell p4 3.2ghz (socket 478) with 2 gb RAM (cpu and mobo only). With my old system I had just bought a new Geforce 6600 GT 128mb AGP card which I moved into the Dell along with my optical drives and hard drive from my old system. I played Oblivion with some of the performance tweaks and it ran great at high settings. The thing is the machine is a server which has just one fan that speeds up as needed and gets quite loud. Also it is a server and never goes into standby mode, and the screensaver goes on sometimes, but not always.

I would love to get a new system (build one, actually, which is why I am here) but since my rig is decent and I do not NEED a new system, how can I justify getting a new machine? I can say "I can't hear what the characters are saying over the fan noise" :wink: . I would start with a barebones sytem (except I would not skimp on the RAM) and add to it over 1-2 months.

Thanks for your input!

Eddie

More about : upgrade

June 8, 2006 8:32:01 PM

You said it yourself, you don't need one. Without need, there can be no true justification, only a succumbing to vanity.
June 8, 2006 8:37:24 PM

It sounds like all you need is a new fan, or modding it so the internal fan does not have to work as hard.

If it is the kind w/ the green CPU shroud you can rip it off and zip-tie a decent 80mm case fan to the CPU heatsink - it should keep the cpu cool enough so the existing fan does not have to work as hard, just remember to keep it blowing front to back pointing towards the existing fan (blowing across the cpu fan) so it should also help case cooling as well.

But if you want a barebones:
Antec Sonata II 450w $99 shipped
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester $297 shipped
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 $75 shipped
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 CL2.5 $165 shipped

Which is decent since you can use your AGP card and upgrade to a PCIE whenever you like. There is also an AM2 cpu card upgrade available for less than $50 so you can upgrade to AM2/DDR2.
!