prting from 1 voip to another

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
comcast?

the number i have was mine number from verizon?

thanks

steve wrote:
> is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
> comcast?
>
> the number i have was mine number from verizon?
>
> thanks

At any given moment it is Not possible to port from ANY provider to ANY
provider. It is possible to port form MOST providers to MOST providers
at any time. Ask the one you are thinking of moving to what they can do,
then check with 'usenet' to see what the experience has been. I could
tell you my horror story - but I won't!-)

>is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
>comcast?

For one datapoint, I ported my Vonage number to Lingo last month with
no trouble at all. It took about a week. The underlying carriers are
Paetec for Vonage and ACC National for Lingo.

Perhaps if Vonage had noticed they would have objected, but since
they've ignored all my attempts to communicate with them in the past
three months (which is why I dumped them), I'm not surprised.

"steve" <steve@steve.net> wrote in news:3YKdnWp4zu1m7bHfRVn-3Q@comcast.com:

> is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
> comcast?
>
> the number i have was mine number from verizon?

Some providers support number portability... but I heard it's a hassle at
the moment - numbers can take months to get transferred.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

John R. Levine wrote:
>>is it possible to port a number from say att call vatange to vonage or
>>comcast?
>

> For one datapoint, I ported my Vonage number to Lingo last month with
> no trouble at all. It took about a week. The underlying carriers are
> Paetec for Vonage and ACC National for Lingo.
>
> Perhaps if Vonage had noticed they would have objected, but since
> they've ignored all my attempts to communicate with them in the past
> three months (which is why I dumped them), I'm not surprised.

Lingo uses Level3 Communications, and as far as porting goes, so long as
the number is a primary number on an account there shouldn't ever be an
issue. If a VoIP service really wanted to get technical then they would
bring up the fact that there are no TRUE phone numbers on a VoIP service
so nothing is ever portable. As far as the backend servers are
concerned, your SIP username is your phone number and the rest are
virtual numbers on your account.
Regardless, Lingo to Vonage works, Vonage to Lingo works, I've seen
porting take place all over the spectrum. Just remember that a
successful port can take over a month to complete successfully. If
you're not willing to wait that long, or to risk the possibility of the
port being turned down, then I wouldn't bother.