First Time Builder

Smutchings

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I have never built a computer myself before, but would like to. I am looking at doing a computing degree at University, so would like to get myself a new computer when i start the course in about 2 years. I know this is quite early to be talking about getting a new system ,with loads of changes probably going to happen in that time, but i am really new to this so need as much help as i can get.

I am looking for a computer that would be suitable to do the following things:

[*:25858f4734]Multimedia Use (Movies, Music, Video)
[*:25858f4734]Web Design
[*:25858f4734]Standard Work (word processing, excel spreadsheets, desktop publishing)
[*:25858f4734]Use as a computer for programming on
[*:25858f4734]Play games at high spec, top graphics, etc without a lot of lag.

I know this is quite a big list, and i am looking at doing with maybe a maximum of £2000, maybe £300 if i get a student loan, so i do not know if this will be hard to do or not.

I have nothing planned for what i want as hardware, so i would like any ideas from you that will help me in making choices.

I will mention now that even though i am looking at doing a computing degree i am not extremely good on the hardware side, and do not know what most of the jargon means.

I thank you in advance for your help.

jonathanm

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
This is what im getting for my new computer:

£134 -- Motherboard -- ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe/WiFi Edition
£57.96 -- HD -- www.ballicom.com -- 250GB SATA2 Western Digital

£32.83 -- PSU -- www.eazi.it -- Zoostorm 500W ATX2

£195.81 -- CPU -- www.lowestonweb.com -- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ AM2

£31.76 -- GPU -- www.eazi.it -- 256MB Inno3D 6200TurboCache

£11.69 -- RAM1 -- www.ballicom.com -- 256MB DDR2 533 RAM

£11.69 -- RAM2 -- www.ballicom.com -- 256MB DDR2 533 RAM

Got the motherboard two days ago, it looks sweet. Like you i am planning on doing something computery at uni (doing gcses now, revision sucks) but didnt think too much about this when getting parts. The processor should be ample for any needs, the only sacrifice i had to make on this was the graphics card. As i am not going to be using this for hard-core gaming i made do with a really cheap graphics card, but still wanted 256MB. The mobo allows upgrading in the future to am2, better ram, sli graphics cards, more sata drives, so i think i should be ok on that front. Hope this helps.

Smutchings

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Thanks for the help. I hope more people are able to help me, and i will look at the parts you have suggested when i have more free time.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well, I know that right now is a terrible time to build a computer. Sure, component prices are dropping in regards to cpu, however, conroe is coming soon and propertedly it is going to have a large performance gain compared to the AMD chips. Still I am an AMD guy because I would hate to see Intel flex their muscles too much and gain a monopoly. Anyhow, that is topic for another discussion. I would wait a few months and watch as processor prices plummet and then move in for the kill! You can definitly get a dual core processor at a cheap price. Plus as far as the components that the other guy recommended. I wouldn't get some of those. 6200 graphics? Sure, 256 mb memory interface however it won't play the newest games on the market on the highest settings and by no means be viable for the future games coming out q1/q2 of 2007. Anyhow, certainly you will want lots of ram especially since if you go "vista" then you will need a hell of a lot more than 512 mb. Right now if you look at my specs they are cream of the crop for right now. In two months it will be blown out of the water. Graphics wise and processor wise.

Smutchings

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Thanks for the advice Gahleon. As i said it is likely that the build will be in about 2 years, as i need to get the money and i am only just about to do my A-levels, it is looking at being for University.

Well the weekend is here soon, and the only thing i really need to do is tiry my room. So if i have a spare couple of hours i am going to trawl through the internet looking for parts.

Can anyone suggest a good UK retailer for components. I usually look at Overclockers UK.

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
same opinion as Gahleon, it is not a suitable time to build a new computer now. if i were you, i'll either get a AM2 with cheap CPU(3200++) or wait till conroe arrive. the reason for getting a cheap AM2 cpu is to save some money to upgrade to K8L next year.
as for graphics, same thing apply here, i will get a 7600GS, will upgrade to direct X 10 card next year.