Sign in with
Your question

RAID1 > MOBO failed > 2 IDEs > 2 SATA > RAID1

Last response: in Storage
June 8, 2006 8:47:45 PM

:?:

Is there a FAQ that answers the GENERAL steps to take in moving to a RAID1 setup?

I had a mobo with two IDE drives in a RAID1, which fried. That setup used the board's integral contoller and had (I guess) a drive overlay.

The new mobo has the old drives, using one of them as a primary. WinXP Home 2nd ED learned to ignore the RAID stuff when it boots.

I'm figuring I will ghost/clone/copy everything from my current primary to one of the new SATA drives, take the IDE drives out, then configure the RAID1 with the new SATA drives.

Anybody think the old controllers stuff will interfere with the new?
Anybody done this?
Does this make sense?

:?:
June 8, 2006 9:11:39 PM

Found some more posts that address this, but not exactly.

Seems I shouldn't be able to be using the old drives right now. Or, do I lose everything when I go to the new setup?
June 9, 2006 12:27:54 AM

many people have multiple problems when booting XP from a RAID array of any type.

if you want to keep your raid setup, get another smaller drive to load windows on. then setup the 2 HDs with your raid controller and away you go.
Related resources
June 9, 2006 12:47:41 PM

Thanks.

I haven't had any problems doing anything yet. I just want a good plan of attack moving forward with the OS on the RAID setup. I want to move it off of the old drives.

Nobody needs to reply to this. I'll make the changes, and then post how things went with details.
June 10, 2006 5:03:32 PM

Quote:
many people have multiple problems when booting XP from a RAID array of any type.

if you want to keep your raid setup, get another smaller drive to load windows on. then setup the 2 HDs with your raid controller and away you go.

I've been booting XP on RAID since XP exist... and never had a problem..

Problem happen when people assume they understand what RAID is, but don't have a clue about that, or which controller the motherboard has or which connectors are controlled by which controller.. They don't know which drivers to use, nor have no clue about BIOS settings..

Or maybe I'm just better and smarter that most of them...
June 10, 2006 7:32:39 PM

If I understand correctly you want to keep your existing OS while moving it to from your current non-RAID setup to new drives on a RAID 1 controller.

Your concern is your OS has drivers for another pevious RAID controller.

---

The old drivers will not pose any additional problems.

---

However XP will often only boot from a
Storage Controller if you pressed F6 and loaded the drivers when XP was installed. Occasionally you can get away with loading the drivers before moving windows to the new setup.

Its very likely you will need to do a repair install or a full install to get the system to boot from the new RAID controller.

Its also possible that your disc imaging software won't be to worth with your RAID controller.

Since you will have the old drives as backup there is no harm in trying to move your OS, but the only sure bet is to do a clean install to the new arrasy then copy over anything you want to keep from one of the old drives.
!