Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon x1900xt and DX10 cards build QUESTION

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2006 9:54:55 PM

HI, im planing to build a new system(mostly for gaming/office work), i think i will use in it the ati x1900xt gpu (paired with Intel Pentium D 950 (3.4) cpu, and 2 gigs of ram-later on maby 4, but thats way later on ;)  )

and now the question:

Will the ati's x1900xt last me for 2 or 3 years so( i mean till i wont be able to play anymore game because the card will be incompatible) i could be able to play games atleast on high(later on medium) Quality lvl's that will come out in 2007/2008

For those who heard about theis game: "Alan Wake" Do Yo uknow Wheather I will be able to play this game ith the 1900xt series gpu?
I know its a dx10 game, but will it look relatively good with playable ftp's?
June 8, 2006 10:30:04 PM

I think you will be fine, u should get an after market cooler later down the road and OC alittle bit and im sure if will serve you well.

Best,

3Ball

Antec Neo HE 550w
AMD 3700+ Sandy @ 2316mhz
Gigabyte K8N SLI Pro
Sapphire X1900XTX (668 / 792) actual!
(2x1024mb) Patriot Performance Mem (2.5-3-2-5) @ 420mhz
!Mobo Limiting OC!
June 9, 2006 1:54:54 AM

I don't think the X1900XT will last 3 years. I mean it could, but if you're going to play games, and latest games, you'll most likely have to move onto Vista and DX10. Maybe next year at this time.

In 2007/2008, you'll probably need a card that can fully use DX10, so in this case, X1900XT won't last. If there was no Vista, and DX10, then the X1900XT could last 2 or 3 years, and play games at medium settings.
Related resources
June 9, 2006 4:25:32 AM

I would assume it would do as directX 7 and 8 cards do now and just play them in directX 7 and 8 would it not?

Best,

3Ball

Antec Neo HE 550w
AMD 3700+ Sandy @ 2316mhz
Gigabyte K8N SLI Pro
Sapphire X1900XTX (668 / 792) actual!
(2x1024mb) Patriot Performance Mem (2.5-3-2-5) @ 420mhz
!Mobo Limiting OC!
June 9, 2006 4:55:41 AM

Quote:
I don't think the X1900XT will last 3 years. I mean it could, but if you're going to play games, and latest games, you'll most likely have to move onto Vista and DX10. Maybe next year at this time.

In 2007/2008, you'll probably need a card that can fully use DX10, so in this case, X1900XT won't last. If there was no Vista, and DX10, then the X1900XT could last 2 or 3 years, and play games at medium settings.

I don't think that will happen. Game companies want their product to be available to the biggest user base possible. By this time next year, 98% of all people will still be running Windows XP, so they'll have to have DX10 for it, along with games that will run on DX9 hardware.
June 9, 2006 8:02:42 PM

i thought about it also , to be honest i dont remember how was it with windows xp (my pc came with XP preloaded, and i got the pc about half a year before xp even shipped...and that was my first pc, which im still using now with aded memory and new cpu, and gpu(oldie)) but how how did the gpus of that time change mutch? i mean were there any problems in regards to compatibility witgh games? (im not mutch of a gamer, I buy maby 2 or 3 games at most in a year max, and i tend to stick with the ones i like....lol i still have rise of nations, and freedom wighters installed lol;)) and to be honest i do not remember how the transition in directx went / nor the windows transition, i did not do any research then at the time into hardware.

To be honest part of me is opting to wait till atleast january 2007 or even summer 2007 to c how the hardware/software(gaming industry) will change, and the other part of me tells me to go get the pentium d 950 cpu, asus p5wd2-e premium mobo, 2 gigs of ram before the end of summer. lol..........decisions...decisions ;) 
June 9, 2006 8:42:51 PM

Quote:
By this time next year, 98% of all people will still be running Windows XP.

I doubt that. More like 50% because once Vista comes out, nearly all OEM systems sold will have Vista preloaded on them. So that means nearly every Dell, HP, Compaq, Emachine, etc. will have Vista. And millions of computers are replaced or just bought every year. Plus then you have all the corporations out there who will switch to Vista. Most won't be right away but by June or July I'd guess a fair amount. I know the company I work for is already planning for Vista by making sure every new machine purchased now will be able to run it well. And older machines that can't be upgraded are being replaced.

As far as will an X1900XT be able to play games in 3 years. Like another guy said, if it wasn't for the switch to DX10 I'd say yes. But I'd guess that by 2008 at the latest DX9 cards will start seriously lagging behind. But what you can do however is save up some cash after this build and get ATIs R600 series card after they come out, and use it as your primary GPU to render graphics, and then use your X1900XT as a physics card.
June 10, 2006 1:20:34 AM

Quote:
By this time next year, 98% of all people will still be running Windows XP.

As far as will an X1900XT be able to play games in 3 years. Like another guy said, if it wasn't for the switch to DX10 I'd say yes. But I'd guess that by 2008 at the latest DX9 cards will start seriously lagging behind. But what you can do however is save up some cash after this build and get ATIs R600 series card after they come out, and use it as your primary GPU to render graphics, and then use your X1900XT as a physics card.

lol great idea, but will one gpu for promary display and 1 for phisyx work out or do i need to have a 2 paired (working corssfire) installed + the extra one for physix?
June 10, 2006 8:37:43 AM

Ditto - i feel the same. DX10 is nice and all, but inception will take a long time. The biggest installed base will always be the avg person, whom has some moral value if he/she looks at cash vs need.

Mind you, I'll most likely switch to Vista/DX10 end next year, getting friends and family convinced to buy me expensive equipment is taking longer than I though, and bribe vs my wallet is a big issue... :lol: 

I recon XP/Games/X1900/7900GTX will have a strong run till early 2008.
June 26, 2006 5:14:57 PM

I have an X1900XTX and the PentiumD 930 and I am fully confident that it will suffice for the next 2 to possibly 3 yrs if i wanted to stretch it that long. I am ganna replace with a Conroe eventually but the video card is staying since it cost an arm and a leg. I don't see Vista and DX10 taking off and saturating the market for at least a year after it is released. From what i hear Crysis is going to be compatible with DX9 which in my mind is good thinking.
June 26, 2006 10:19:45 PM

thx for the reply, so i guess i wont have to worry about my future build which will include the 1900xt 2 gigs of ram and core 2 duo 2.13 Ghz ( if ill be lucky maby even teh 2.4 version of it :wink: ) lol

I was also thinking about maby waiting till dx 10 gpus by ati would be out but i gues thats a long wait, althou if they would come out in lets say october or so I might have enough patience to wait for them. Hopefullt the mid / hi lvl gpus for dx10 will be stronger than the high (1900xt) lvl dx9 ones.
!