Your question

Replacement for 9800Pro

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2006 10:49:29 PM

Help, my Radeon 9800Pro is on its last leg and I need to replace it. I want to spend as little as possible, but I don't want to go backwards in quality. I am looking for something that is reasonably priced (preferably under $200) that will give me at least a little upgrade.

I'm currently running a AMD 64 3400+ with 2GB of Ram. I don't do a ton of gaming, but I would like decent gaming ability. The card is mostly used for video editing and dvd playback, etc.

If anybody has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it, I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

Thanks!

More about : replacement 9800pro

June 9, 2006 12:40:47 AM

your limited with price and by the AGP requirement on the mobo. I would say an X1600Pro becuase the 7600GS aren't out for AGP yet, but you could look (if u wanted to) on Ebay, and look for a 6800GT or go for the X800/X850's on Newegg
June 9, 2006 1:45:33 AM

X800XL might be found for under $200. X800GTO and 6800GS are also good cards.
Related resources
June 9, 2006 2:17:12 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I can't find an X800XL for AGP on newegg, do they exist? Also, I think that both the X800GTO and X850 are in my price range, is there a big difference between them (and is there much of a difference between the X850XL and X850Pro)?

Thanks in advance for any help!
June 9, 2006 3:13:06 AM

get a x800XL its one of the best agp cards! That is the card I upgraded coming from the 9800pro.
June 9, 2006 3:52:32 AM

yea X800XL do not get a X1600Pro its basicly a 9800Pro with SM 3.0.....

personaly thought however i suggest saving and doing a whole system upgrade to PCI-E and all that fluff, however if you cant go with the X800XL

...i personally am fine with my 9800Pro :)  so what if HL2-Episode 2 runs 30Fps ....its got HDR on full and 2x/4x Filtering..im not complaining fro a card thats 3 years old ^_^
June 9, 2006 4:37:47 AM

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I think i have outdone myself this time.

Almost forgot to mention it unlocks to an x800xl, not every card will unlock but u never know you might get lucky and for that price you can't go wrong =]

Great Find, I just ordered it! Thanks...how difficult is it to unlock it in to an X800XL? I know you have to flash the Bios, but I'm a little worried about screwing up all my configurations. Do I gain quite a bit more by making it an XL?

Thanks again!
June 9, 2006 4:39:22 AM

Quote:
...i personally am fine with my 9800Pro :)  so what if HL2-Episode 2 runs 30Fps ....its got HDR on full and 2x/4x Filtering..im not complaining fro a card thats 3 years old ^_^

Yeah, I'm bummed that mine is dying, its been a GREAT card!
June 9, 2006 4:41:38 AM

Sorry to keep asking question, but is the x800GTO (possibly x800xl) going to be a pretty decent upgrade to the 9800Pro or is it pretty similar in performance?

Thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!
June 9, 2006 4:48:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry to keep asking question, but is the x800GTO (possibly x800xl) going to be a pretty decent upgrade to the 9800Pro or is it pretty similar in performance?

Thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!

The X800GTO will blow away the 9800Pro in terms of performance, especially if you overclock/unlock it.
June 9, 2006 5:05:58 AM

I'm assuming we forgot to mention the 6800GS?

Most X800GTO's are R430, and wont unlock without producing checkboards.
So good luck if you plan on it.

But my path would have been with the GS as a solid price/preformance card.
June 9, 2006 5:30:39 AM

Quote:

Only a noob would flash without checking witch core he got.......Plus if the card does unlock it will spank the 6800gs in preformance. Lastly newegg doesn't stock the 6800gs anymore. Oh and i almost forgot 80% of 6800gs cards only have opengl 1.5.
June 9, 2006 5:47:34 AM

Yes, becuase 2.0 on a X800GTO will make a helluva lot of preformance difference... :?: :lol: 

Anywhosel, its not like were limited to newegg here. I'm sure you could find a a deal on a 6800GS somewhere.

One more thing. I could almost guarantee that GS would flash 16x1 5vp unless the pipes were previously damaged, in which you could (technically) claimed an RMA.

I"m just looking into his best interests here. I see NV40, which doesnt differ from from the GT to GS to the 6800U. Only the pipes have been bitmasked. So when that GS would unlock, a voltmod and maybe some
cooling + 6800UE BIOS = pretty damn fine I'd say.

If they both unlock, nothing will "crush" b/c preformance would level off about the same. Check some other threads on how far a X800GTO will clock once unlocked. The results were'nt that impressive to say the least.
So sure, once you get your extra pipes you can cheer, but if you can raise your frequencies that much, it IMHO wouldnt be worth it.

I'm not bashing his decision, I'm simply tossing in some diversity, which is exactly what a forum is all about :D 
June 9, 2006 6:18:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, becuase 2.0 on a X800GTO will make a helluva lot of preformance difference... :?: :lol: 

Anywhosel, its not like were limited to newegg here. I'm sure you could find a a deal on a 6800GS somewhere.

One more thing. I could almost guarantee that GS would flash 16x1 5vp unless the pipes were previously damaged, in which you could (technically) claimed an RMA.

I"m just looking into his best interests here. I see NV40, which doesnt differ from from the GT to GS to the 6800U. Only the pipes have been bitmasked. So when that GS would unlock, a voltmod and maybe some
cooling + 6800UE BIOS = pretty damn fine I'd say.

If they both unlock, nothing will "crush" b/c preformance would level off about the same. Check some other threads on how far a X800GTO will clock once unlocked. The results were'nt that impressive to say the least.
So sure, once you get your extra pipes you can cheer, but if you can raise your frequencies that much, it IMHO wouldnt be worth it.

I'm not bashing his decision, I'm simply tossing in some diversity, which is exactly what a forum is all about :D 

lol dude you don't want open gl 2.0 for preformance incrase it's for image quality....and dude don't be an ass nothing is guaranteed, especially 16 pipes on a 6800gs. People were getting 16 pipes only because nvidia had to clear backstock with the nv40 chips....there a little past that stage right now.. i couldn't find a 6800gs for less than $190..Correct me on that if you can. Lastly what do you think an unlockable 6800gs is??? it's a backstock nv40...and by backstock i mean i didn't make the cut and was tossed in a pile...not really prime overclocking material.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass and i agree with you 100% Diversity and choice is good as far as computers and this forum go.
June 9, 2006 6:26:15 AM

Well, considering these cards are what I would deem midranged, this would
dictact that most of the games are played near and around 1024x768 or 1280x1024 so the difference in IQ between the two cards simply becuase of the OGL extension would be extemely minimum.

As for the backorders...very true. However the only reason NV (and friends) did this is becuase the 7xxx series came pouncing along, and ATI was preparing to ready some (at the time looked promising) mirdanged cards. So the 6800GS was bitmasked to contend in that arena. Not just a toss out.

There's no stage to be passed...NV40 IS NV40. Many of the results I've seen on a 6800GS are nothing to be shoo'd off. --yes they are overclocking material. Its quite impressive what they can do with a little budget. The man said below $200, and $190 is below that line, making it an option.

I also realize your not trying to sound like an ass, neither am I.
Glad we can agree about the diversity part though.
June 9, 2006 10:13:14 AM

On second thought... I'm not so sure. Perhaps they're quite similar and the price difference isn't worth it. Anyway, the GTO that you ordered is definitely an improvement over the 9800 so it IS a good buy. Enjoy!
June 9, 2006 2:43:38 PM

The 850 PRO is much better than an X800 GTO stock, and can even keep up with a 16-pipe X800 XL when overclocked because the core is so overclock-friendly.

Still, wouldn't avise paying much over $200 for one tho.
June 9, 2006 4:05:19 PM

Quote:

Only a noob would flash without checking witch core he got.......Plus if the card does unlock it will spank the 6800gs in preformance. Lastly newegg doesn't stock the 6800gs anymore. Oh and i almost forgot 80% of 6800gs cards only have opengl 1.5.
I would highly recommend that you personally PM ddotson9 and explain all the intricacies of flashing and unlocking his shiny new X800GTO before he turns it into an expensive paperweight.
June 9, 2006 4:16:22 PM

I don't know if anyone has seen this, . You can't really beat that for $139, of course, you gotta have PCIe.
June 10, 2006 10:26:35 AM

Quote:

I beg to differ with you. I have an R430 Sapphire AGP X800GTO and it unlocked to 16 pipes no problem. I have helped numerous other people unlock this card as well. Not a single attempt that I an aware of has been unsucessful.

If anyone wants help unlocking one I'll can guide you.
June 10, 2006 11:51:27 AM

Why buy the old Ati cards like X800 GTO, when you can buy a new one!!! X1800GTO has a great price.
June 10, 2006 6:29:10 PM

Quote:
Why buy the old Ati cards like X800 GTO, when you can buy a new one!!! X1800GTO has a great price.

presumably, if the OP is upgrading from a 9800pro (as i currently am), he's got an AGP MB that he doesn't necessarily want to replace just yet. also, yes the x1800GTOs are priced well, but when you consider the Sapphire x1800XT that was recently on sale for $220 after MIR on newegg, the x1800GTOs hovering just under $200 don't look nearly as appealing.
June 11, 2006 1:18:18 AM

Quote:
Help, my Radeon 9800Pro is on its last leg and I need to replace it. I want to spend as little as possible, but I don't want to go backwards in quality. I am looking for something that is reasonably priced (preferably under $200) that will give me at least a little upgrade.

I'm currently running a AMD 64 3400+ with 2GB of Ram. I don't do a ton of gaming, but I would like decent gaming ability. The card is mostly used for video editing and dvd playback, etc.

If anybody has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it, I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

Thanks!

Try an X800 GTO, you can find them for as little as $121 (open-box, though).

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

The X800 GTO will give you a huge boost over your 9800 Pro, and can overclock (sometimes) to the speeds of an X800 XL or even an X850 Pro! And for $121, it really becomes a steal.
a c 365 U Graphics card
June 11, 2006 1:22:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT - $135 after $20 mail-in rebate. Don't forget to add $5.50 for shipping
June 11, 2006 2:08:36 AM

Quote:

I beg to differ with you. I have an R430 Sapphire AGP X800GTO and it unlocked to 16 pipes no problem. I have helped numerous other people unlock this card as well. Not a single attempt that I an aware of has been unsucessful.

If anyone wants help unlocking one I'll can guide you.

I beg to differ your differ. Some R430's (and R420's..namely X800pro's)
Had their cores laser cut after ATI found that X800XT sales were steadily slipping. No disrespect, but you havent seen many cards if you havent seen a failed core yet....becuase I HAVE, more than a handful easy. Which is exactly what some of the X800GT(O) 's are....FAILED XT cores (this also goes hand in hand with the X800Pro VIVO, which I had one, and sucessfully unlocked.)

I'm not saying its not possible, it very well is. But the full sucessful unlock rate isnt that stellar for R430's...I'll admit, I got lucky with my XPro, and was thrilled, but I've only seen 1 NV40 based board fail to unlock to full spec yet ( which is 1 in a few dozen) compared to the near 50% rate of the X800GTO's and X800Pro's ive seen---
June 11, 2006 2:29:42 AM

Quote:

I beg to differ your differ. Some R430's (and R420's..namely X800pro's)
Had their cores laser cut after ATI found that X800XT sales were steadily slipping. No disrespect, but you havent seen many cards if you havent seen a failed core yet....becuase I HAVE, more than a handful easy. Which is exactly what some of the X800GT(O) 's are....FAILED XT cores (this also goes hand in hand with the X800Pro VIVO, which I had one, and sucessfully unlocked.)

I'm not saying its not possible, it very well is. But the full sucessful unlock rate isnt that stellar for R430's...I'll admit, I got lucky with my XPro, and was thrilled, but I've only seen 1 NV40 based board fail to unlock to full spec yet ( which is 1 in a few dozen) compared to the near 50% rate of the X800GTO's and X800Pro's ive seen---

I am strictly talking about the Sapphire AGP X800GTO. For probably the last 6 months, maybe more, they have been coming with unlockable R430s and usually 1.6ns memory. I have dealt with probably 10+ of these cards and not a single one of them has failed to unlock. A couple of them experienced a bad flash on the first attempt but were able to recover by flashing again. I have read about numerous others that have unlocked and I haven't seen any failed attempts. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen but I haven't heard of any.
June 11, 2006 3:09:37 AM

I'm just wondering why I can't unlock my X600 to 24 pipes and overclock the VRAM to 2GHz from 580MHz. And why can't I flash the BIOS to that of a 7900GTX?
June 11, 2006 3:43:54 AM

Quote:
For probably the last 6 months, maybe more, they have been coming with unlockable R430s and usually 1.6ns memory. I have dealt with probably 10+ of these cards and not a single one of them has failed to unlock. A couple of them experienced a bad flash on the first attempt but were able to recover by flashing again.

Sure...your knowledge of these is enough to cover an entire region :roll:

These cards vary so much in core placement and availability that you even assuming that you know the pattern is quite a joke :lol: 

And as I've said a hundred times, if you get an R430 GTO, you should return it immediately, because it's crap.

When ever one of these GTO threads pop up, I can always count on scougs to be there, posting his information about how he unlocked his card, and everyone should do it also :roll:

If the performance of these R430 GTO's equaled value for the dollar, I wouldnt be so vehement in my campaign angainst thereof, but the fact of the matter is, the the great X800GTO deals have come and gone, and people are still clinging to something that isnt there any more.

Dont buy any 800 series GTO thinking that you'll get unlocked performance, because it isnt there.

....you're too late...the train has passed.....move along...
June 11, 2006 6:03:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

As the guys said he wants to spend less than $200 which makes the switch to a PCIe out of reach due to the requirement of a new motherboard. The only reasonable AGP cards under $200 are

X800Pro
X1600Pro
X800GTO
6600GT
Low end 6800 (128-bit memory or only 8-pixel pipes)
X850Pro(after rebate)

I am not tyring to say that the X800GTO is going to set any speed records. I just think that it is a good way to get a little more life out of an older AGP system. It looks like ddotsun9 has a socket 754 system so he can't expect it to be too fast. He also says that top gaming performance isn't what he is after.

BTW, I don't know about the other cards but I know that the Sapphire X800GTO comes with an adapter for component video that would be nice if he is going to display the DVDs on a TV.
June 11, 2006 4:16:27 PM

Yes, VIVO cards and most failed cores carried Samsung 1.6ns.
However I'm going to ride with GW on this one.

He has (or had) an X800GTO, clock it quite far and was a decent card.
Then we've seen (guessing) half a dozen threads on unlocked X800GTO's.
The part is, none of them have shown superiority to his stock spec'd card (aside from Core/Mem frequencies)

So like I said, you can get that full spec all you want (almost like unlocking a baseline 6800...preformance increase isnt that amazing) But if you dont have the frequencies to push it....doesnt mean a damn thing. Unfortunately, unless you have a great idea like gallium, water or other to cool your card, sad fact is R430's arent that great to push.

I've never owned an X800GTO, wont' pretend to either. I've toyed with a couple myself, and many individuals I know have bought them, but I trust what GW has said in the fact that its a crap shoot with what your planning on buying. Plus he has personal experience which is something you can't beat.

So like I said...NV40 IS NV40. My dollar = 6800GS
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2006 6:36:19 PM

Quote:
My dollar = 6800GS

Where can you find a reasonably priced 6800GS? I haven't seen a GF68xx AGP worth buying for quite a while. The big sites have been out of them leaving a PNY from Tiger being about the only ugly choice (I don't like tiger or Pny). $200 for a wimpy AGP 6800GS in hopes of a decent OC/unlock is just way too much money for what you get IMO. True AGP in general is terrible priced now, but my vote easily goes for a $140 X800 pro. Stock it will beat a 6800GS in the majority of games, and for a lot less money. Priced the same I'd have no problem with buying the 6800GS, but IMO it's not worth paying more for it. Plus being a X800 PRO, it might have a higher OC'in core than current GTO's.
June 11, 2006 9:02:07 PM

Monarch, Tech for less and the egg has some if you look hard enough....
other option being Ebay.

But damn, that X800 is a sweet deal, I'd about head for that.

You know whats a damn shame, I remember picking up a Powercolor X800pro
a week after launch for $459.....in 2004. Seeing that price makes me want to puke.
June 12, 2006 12:52:01 AM

Just thinking to myself. I wonder if the 6800XT AGP counterpart is NV40 based? --I know PCI-E is NV42....hmm

EDIT: According to most sources, pipes and lasercut. Hmm shame.
I wonder if any of the cores are NV40, becuase the XFX 6800XT is about what an AGP 6800GS would be priced around......
June 12, 2006 1:26:20 AM

Quote:
Just thinking to myself. I wonder if the 6800XT AGP counterpart is NV40 based? --I know PCI-E is NV42....hmm

EDIT: According to most sources, pipes and lasercut. Hmm shame.
I wonder if any of the cores are NV40, becuase the XFX 6800XT is about what an AGP 6800GS would be priced around......

The 6800XT sucks; they're all 8 pipes and some even have 128-bit memory. That 6800 that I posted a link to will be faster than a 6800XT, which is basically a rebadged 6800LE.
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2006 3:05:13 AM

Yeah but that's PCI-e. You can get a open box X850 pro for $100 in PCI-e. It's just rediculous the premium AGP cards carry now.
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2006 3:15:34 AM

$459 ouch. I have never spent that much on a card. $350 for a 6800U was my most expensive one.
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2006 3:23:34 AM

Sorry, I should have quoted. I was responding to his $93 open box pci-e 12-pipe 6800.

Your link is AGP, But Would you really spend that much for an 8-pipe 6800XT though?
June 12, 2006 3:28:35 AM

NV40 Hell yes I would.....

I've been looking online for more proof, but I found this so far

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/6800XT-blessing...

Well, according to most places, the 6800XT is almost as large a gamble as the X800GTO. Some NV42 ....some NV40. I honestly wouldnt risk it if the odds were either even or against me, but I'm sure I'll be looking further into this and maybe even picking one up for my own satisfaction.
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2006 3:41:22 AM

What would you expect to get out of it? (serious ? by the way) I've been thinking the 6800XT is a lame card. Enlighten me as to what you'd hope it could do.

Unlocked to 12-pipes the X800 pro would still beat it (for less money) as it would be a reference 6800GS AGP. NV 40 could give you 425-435MHz core I guess, not sure on that cards mem. Of course the X800 pro would also OC. I was just not very impressed with my BFG 6800U OC It did about 435/1220 max which wasn't all that great over 425/1100 BFG clocks.
June 12, 2006 3:52:53 AM

Pencil mod, voltage regulation, decent cooling & UE BIOS flash.....has potential if the damn thing was NV40....alot of it too.

Maybe I'm just tired and not thinking striaght bud.... :lol: 
I've been run ragged for the past two weeks organzing open houses and parties and havent been getting much sleep.

I know what an X800pro can do from experience. I guess its a gamble.
So I'll look @ it like this. If niether card unlocked a single pipeline, but you could push your frequencies.....I'd never look back @ the XT.

So in truth you are right going with the safer bet, I guess I just don't play that safe. However I thought the 6800LE was a lame card, but at the time it cost half of what my X800pro did, and after the unlock and overclock. (16x1 5vp) I made 410/415, which passed my X800pro stock by about 1100 points in 3Dmark03. ---I think I need some sleep though... :oops: 
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2006 4:07:06 AM

I guess at 16 pipes and 400 core it would be quite a nice card. I hear ya on the sleep; wiped myself right now.

What about this card? It's a lot cheaper. Same clocks but has 128MB of GDDR3. http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=XFX-AG68XT
June 12, 2006 4:08:53 AM

Sorry, but if that card was around $95, I might consider it.....
Not a bad GPU, but I think I could find a 9800XT on ebay for $50 and
get it to outpreform that thing.

EDIT:

I'm hittin the sack bud. I have work tommorrow and didnt get to sleep last night until 3:36 this morning. So I wont be making that mistake again :lol: 
June 12, 2006 4:09:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah but that's PCI-e. You can get a open box X850 pro for $100 in PCI-e. It's just rediculous the premium AGP cards carry now.

It looks like I'm the one who needs some sleep. How would that 6800 compare to a 128MB X800?
June 12, 2006 4:10:28 AM

About equal....give or take the game engine you prefered to use.
June 12, 2006 3:59:02 PM

Thanks for all the help and input. As I said I have ordered the 800GTO and will hopefully receive it today. I am curious about trying to "unlock" the extra pipes, but admit that I am a little nervous about screwing something up in the process. Does anyone have a walkthrough on how to do this? Is it even worth it for me to do if I don't do very much serious gaming (and none over 1280x1024)?

Quote:
I just think that it is a good way to get a little more life out of an older AGP system. It looks like ddotsun9 has a socket 754 system so he can't expect it to be too fast. He also says that top gaming performance isn't what he is after.

You nailed it. I eventually am going to upgrade my mobo and will look at a better video card at that time, but I'm not at that point right now. As you said, I'm just trying to get a little more life out of my socket 754.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!