Sign in with
Your question

critique my new gaming computer.

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2006 1:42:39 AM

so i been asking on different fourms and i need a good answer from you guys

http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getpr...

and a raser mouse

i kno its a bit pricey but this comp will hopefully last me for atleast 10 years.
some games i play are
cs/cs source
cod2
and thats about it until i find some new games
do you think the comp is worth it for the games above? or should i degrade.

remember this comp will last me for 10+ years. i dont want to get a cheap comp and keep upgrading it.

thoughts?
opinions?
discuss.
June 9, 2006 1:54:28 AM

10 years ago I had 486 do you think your comp is going to last 10 years? because I dont see any 486s anywhere!

But I do like the list of components you have chosen. Might last 5 years tops
June 9, 2006 2:38:55 AM

Quote:
Might last 5 years tops

In 5 years you'll need a quad-core CPU to surf the Internet. :lol: 

what???quad-core to surf the net?are you serious?i wonder what kind of web-browser that is so resource hungry which need to be multithreaded into four threads to process in the quad-core CPU.....hmmmm......
**Firefox runs happily even with a pentium 3 processor.

by the way, niCe88 u are a bit too unrealistic to say that, you expect your computer to last 10 years plus???ask yourself, can you see anyone using Pentium Pro processor now?it is top of the line 9 years ago.
Related resources
June 9, 2006 3:01:25 AM

i'll be realistic it wont last 10years

but it should be good for a couple of years do you not agree?

are the parts good? or no? do u recommend some parts?+

btw im not willing to go over 2grand
June 9, 2006 3:10:38 AM

my recommendation is......get AM2, u will have more upgrade option. by the time you decided to add more RAM, u will find that DDR2 is way much cheaper than DDR. and AMD is realeasing K8L on AM2. which means socket 939 is very limited in the sense of upgradability.
June 9, 2006 3:57:05 AM

Considering that it's dated today you should check yourself 2 years max before you wish you had a better PC. Also the LCD is crap. Save some money on the MB and put it towards a 20" LCD with at least 800:1 contrast ratio, more Ram or faster CPU.

Upgrading is the most economical way to stay current. I would also go with a AM2 processor and DDR2 so you have a better upgrade path. That way you wont be spending another $1600 in two years.
June 9, 2006 3:57:41 AM

your right about the price.
Im afraid your jumping into disapointment.
like stated AM2 or at least wait for the price wars to start .
Then get into a 4800+or equivalent.
loose that hsf and opt for 120 mm version.
power supply has to go if your planning on keeping your computer for ten years :lol: 
you will also need a little more than a gig of ram to enjoy serious gaming.
and that statment about the internet.
not to far fetched.
Vista is Ram hungry and IE 7 is a slug without a little torque behind it.
I have no preference on either AMD or Intel but wait.
only a few weeks will save you hundreds. :wink:
June 11, 2006 3:49:17 PM

get am2 or wait for conroe
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2006 4:46:38 PM

Not sure of your location, but some of the items on your list seem overpriced to me. For instance the X2 3800+ can bought most anywhere for under $300. I'd do more comparison shopping for better deals, whatever else you decide to do.
June 11, 2006 5:42:21 PM

i would recommend a different lcd, dell and samsung make good lcds. and the phantom 500w psu by antec. and like every other poster... i think it's unreasonable to believe your pc will last 10 years.
June 11, 2006 5:48:55 PM

10 years.... :lol: 
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2006 6:03:39 PM

Quote:
Not sure of your location, but some of the items on your list seem overpriced to me. For instance the X2 3800+ can bought most anywhere for under $300. I'd do more comparison shopping for better deals, whatever else you decide to do.

He's in Canada.
June 11, 2006 6:11:59 PM

No computer you put togehter now is gonna be able to play the lastest games in 10 yrs. 10yrs ago the fastest desktop processor was around 166Mhz with 16mb ram and 2.0gb hard drive. I happen to keep all of my PC world mags, I am looking at april of 96. Those specs are top of the line at the time Gateway, Micron, and dell. Try playing a new game on any of those. Im not trying to be critical or demeaning just dont want you to be dissapointed in 10yrs.

Historical note: the average price with monitor was $2300
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2006 6:12:37 PM

Quote:
i'll be realistic it wont last 10years

but it should be good for a couple of years do you not agree?

are the parts good? or no? do u recommend some parts?+

btw im not willing to go over 2grand

The computer should last you for roughly 3 years at best for gaming. Trust me when I say that by that time your 7900GT will be a dog. My 9800Pro was released back in around April 2003, you don't hear to many people raving about it's performance anymore.

Also, if you really don't plan on upgrading for around 4 years, then forget socekt AM2 Athlon 64s. Go for either the S939 Athlon 64, or wait for Conroe CPUs which should be available for sale in August.
June 11, 2006 6:30:36 PM

Quote:
Might last 5 years tops

In 5 years you'll need a quad-core CPU to surf the Internet. :lol: 

your kdding right ?? right ??

lol

watch internet sites that look like oblivion when u browse ...

daaaaaaaaaaannnnnggggg
!