Sign in with
Your question

OMG!!! Time for nVidia-CPU Fanboy will come!!! OMG!!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Nvidia
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
June 9, 2006 3:37:00 AM

Oh OMG!!!

Quote:
Nvidia will invade the processor market in the long future, telling us that it could take years but eventually - it will happen

L1nk

More about : omg time nvidia cpu fanboy omg

June 9, 2006 3:40:19 AM

SPAM, delete the thread plz
June 9, 2006 3:40:52 AM

lol, they dont even have fabs.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 9, 2006 3:48:45 AM

SPAM? like AMD-ATI merger (read: buyout)? mind you?
:)  could be spam could be not. At least it is something not manufactured by The Inquirer.
June 9, 2006 3:49:28 AM

Quote:
Oh OMG!!!

Nvidia will invade the processor market in the long future, telling us that it could take years but eventually

L1nk

Their first stop would have to be HTX. The broken record says.
June 9, 2006 4:29:28 AM

C*ck tease. lol
June 9, 2006 4:30:48 AM

It is possible as Nvidia is already having a good grip on chipsets. But "invade the processor market"? well they can show some beef but I don't think Nvidia could easily knock off the two major cpu manufacturer that is if they could even go level with them.
June 9, 2006 1:33:02 PM

Yep - entirely possible.

Just like Belgium invading China.
June 9, 2006 2:43:27 PM

It could be REALLY interesting...
Think about it:
- nForce platform
- GeForce video
- "ProForce" CPU (Just made that up :lol:  )

It would be an ENTIRE nVidia PC, optimized to its max. Kind of what happens with a Mac, not exactly, but a similar situation.
That would lead to a new CPU socket (nVidia's socket), and a whole new options to buy a PC.

I'd really like to see a new face in the CPU market, it'd be refreshing, cause we're all tired of this AMD-Intel "war"...
June 9, 2006 3:32:59 PM

This is like my worst nightmare.

A small design company with a kickass general processor feeds an awesome design into one of the giant foundries. You'd never see it coming.

If Nvidia made a CPU, you can bet it would kick ass in gaming. They have multicore down cold. Each pixel and shader "pipeline" is actually its own processor element. We call them cores.

I'd buy a dual-socket board to run an Nvidia Ubermedia and Core 2.
June 9, 2006 4:06:07 PM

Quote:
lol, they dont even have fabs.

Psh, minor detail :) 

I think this will quickly be forgotten for years until (IF) Nvidia builds a fab
a b à CPUs
June 9, 2006 4:25:59 PM

Quote:
It is possible as Nvidia is already having a good grip on chipsets. But "invade the processor market"? well they can show some beef but I don't think Nvidia could easily knock off the two major cpu manufacturer that is if they could even go level with them.

nVIDIA's chipset marketshare is lower then ATI's.

Intel
ATi
nVIDIA
SIS
VIA

Both SIS and VIA have been trading places lately.. ATi has been a strong number two due to contracts to make chipsets for Intel because of a shortage over at Intel.

So nVIDIA is in third place. Seems it's only going to get worse though with Conroe/AM2 as ATi has the better enthusiast grade chipset (overclocking wise).

nVIDIA will come back with G80 though in the video market.. but it will be short lives as R600 will take the top spot soon after. (G80 will be faster and more feature packed then R580+ which will only be a speed boost to R580 with possible support for GDDR4).

Quote:
If Nvidia made a CPU, you can bet it would kick ass in gaming. They have multicore down cold. Each pixel and shader "pipeline" is actually its own processor element. We call them cores.

Again nVIDIA is playing second fiddle in this aspect as well. ATi's x1K with it's Ultrathreading engine and it's dedicated Branching units completely disolve any benefits the 7x00 architecture has with regards to texturing power when physics calculations, video encoding/transcoding calculations as well as SETI and Folding@Home calculations are concerned.

G80 will temporarilly change this.. but will lack unified Shaders.. which will still mean that ATi's next gen architecture will be better at handling and load balancing various processing threads. In other words don't look towards nVIDIA for physics calculations, video encoding/transcoding calculations as well as SETI and Folding@Home calculations these will all be firmly in ATi's grasp. The more the VPU/GPU market moves to a multipurpose chip the more ATi shines ahead. There VPU's can just do soo much more then gaming.. unlike nVIDIA's.
June 9, 2006 4:37:41 PM

Quote:
When we asked if everyone in the company knew about it, he/she said that only a few of the highest executives are privy to this info.

Yet they're telling these people? I don't think so.

Anyway, I don't see it happening.

And yeah. ATI in my mind is kicking Nvidia's ass in getting out GPUs that are more advanced and better for the road ahead. Sure Nvidia wins in some benchmarks while ATI wins in others. But in the DX10 war, ATI is already where they need to be in terms of hardware while Nvidia is still trying to hold on to the past.

As far as anyone buying anyone. The only purchases I'd see happening possibly would be either Nvidia buying AMD or Intel buying Nvidia. Nvidia buying AMD because if they did want to get into the processor business, that'd be a great way to go with AMDs engineers under their belt. Intel buying Nvidia because it would seriously hurt AMD.
June 9, 2006 4:48:50 PM

Quote:
(G80 will be faster and more feature packed then R580+ which will only be a speed boost to R580 with possible support for GDDR4).
The new ATI card, the "X1950" will still use DDR3.
June 9, 2006 4:51:15 PM

Here's a crazy thouht. With AMDs '4x4' system, maybe nVidia is going to build a GPU/PPU drop in processor, to drop in one of those empty sockets. Now whether they make a GPU socket, seperate from the PPU is in the air. And with AMD announcing Physics processors dropping into there '4x4' platform yesterday seems even more likely. But this would give them a leg into the CPU market as they would have to design there processors to fit in a 940/1207 pin socket, have access to the large memory banks, utilize hypertransport directly with the CPU and memory banks, etc etc etc

crazy, but delightful
June 9, 2006 5:00:02 PM

Actually, that doesn't sound SO crazy.... 8O
June 9, 2006 5:57:14 PM

Quote:
It could be REALLY interesting...
Think about it:
- nForce platform
- GeForce video
- "ProForce" CPU (Just made that up :lol:  )

It would be an ENTIRE nVidia PC, optimized to its max.

they _could_ market it as a whole solution. intel is capable of the same thing, intel chipset, video and cpu, which is probably another reason apple picked them up.

I can't see nvidia breaking into the cpu market very easily. look how hard it was just for AMD to crack intel. nvidia would have to convince consumers they're better than two other companies, not just one.
June 9, 2006 8:09:54 PM

Quote:
I can't see nvidia breaking into the cpu market very easily. look how hard it was just for AMD to crack intel. nvidia would have to convince consumers they're better than two other companies, not just one.

There's a little difference between AMD's situation back then and nVidia situation right now.
Intel was the sole leader in the CPU market, and these unknown guys at AMD came with an alternative CPU... It was hard for them because no one knew anything about them, and didn't trust them either. As every new brand we see today. It's a normal fear, fearing those new things...
Today, nVidia is a hugely respected company, and it is huge in size and technology. Simply put, if nVidia came with a CPU now, it would be necessary only a few days of testing from the most important hardware reviewers, and every nVidia fanboy (and some other people, why not) would go for the new processor. If they risk to enter the CPU market be sure it would be an awesome product. Their reputation would be on the line.

ATI could do a similar thing. I don't know enough about them, but they have a solid and awesome chipset/GPU too. Maybe it's too expensive to set up a Fab to start production. I don't know.

I can only wish to see either of them (ATI - nVidia) enter the CPU market.

(Droooooling my keboarddd.....) :lol:  :lol: 
June 9, 2006 9:38:37 PM

Quote:
Yep - entirely possible.

Just like Belgium invading China.

Belguim used to own the Congo, which is about 100x the size of Belgium. Anyways, if nVidia made a CPU, they'd name it "PeeForce" because that rhymes with "GeForce".
June 9, 2006 10:37:51 PM

nVidia can try to be cool and funky like Nintendo and call it the WiiForce... :wink:
June 9, 2006 11:27:24 PM

and then when nvidia creates their own OS compatible w/ all games then BOOYA... life is one with the nvidia

all hail nvidia

ummmmmm <indiscreet chanting>
June 11, 2006 1:15:26 PM

what i wish they make is a multicore GPU.

or a CPU that can also take care of grahics at the same time, like cell

go to answers.com if you dont beliene that cell processes gfx
June 11, 2006 2:14:13 PM

Quote:
Oh OMG!!!

Nvidia will invade the processor market in the long future, telling us that it could take years but eventually - it will happen

L1nk

Action_man?
!