Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
K8Ls mobile cousin

This is an interesting development as AMD is now touting one design team for mobile only. There's even a die shot of a SUPPOSEDLY 65nm BullDozer core so I guess AMD is running 65nm silicon.

It looks like it maybe possible for FAB 36 to get some 10,000 lots out at the end of the year.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I want to see a complete mobile core redesign from AMD too since the current Turion X2s are disappointing. I haven't actually seen follow-up since those initial comparisons with Core Duo, probably do to all the Conroe hoopla, but I don't think the results have changed much.

In regards to the article specifically, I don't believe that's an actual die shot. It's just a die plot like what we've seen to date from K8L.

The article is actually based from an older Inquirer story. The latest one is here, where AMD is actually announcing it at Computex.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32305

I think Labtop Logic is a little bit optimistic with their H1 2007 launch window. AMD says it'll be out before the end of 2008, which seems to lean more toward an H2 2007 launch. That would be consistant with reports that AMD already has a 65nm K8 based Turion X2 called Tylor planned for H1 2007. It'll be slightly more than a die shrink since improved power features will be added, which combined with the 65nm process should make these chips power efficient. They'll continue to use a 800MHz HT link, but support for DDR2 800 will be added. That should improve performance somewhat since the high DDR2 667 latencies are really hurting the chip. This will compete against the 800MHz FSB Santa Rosa platform from Intel.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=574200&starttime=1143417600&endtime=1143504000

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
K8Ls mobile cousin

This is an interesting development as AMD is now touting one design team for mobile only. There's even a die shot of a SUPPOSEDLY 65nm BullDozer core so I guess AMD is running 65nm silicon.

It looks like it maybe possible for FAB 36 to get some 10,000 lots out at the end of the year.

I have never understood the "Buy our stuff a year from now" media that both Intel and AMD do from time to time.

The vast vast majority of computer purchases happen from the uninformed, or from those on yearly budgetary time cycles.

Daddy's little girl is going off to college and needs a laptop.... why would AMD run around saying (effectively) "our current chips suck, but in a year we'll have something" - seems like a stupid plan to me...

On the business side, a small business hires some folks and needs a computer or new servers right now.... why would intel run around saying "Netburst sucks, but Conroe rocks if you wait 3 months!"

I remember when "Hammer" was comming out - I think AMD fanboys spent a year and a half NOT buying anything waiting for AMD to sort things out... Damn near killed AMD...

I just don't get it....

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I think releasing 65nm is ASAP for AMD and hopefully performance gains as well.

But when they will actually be ready is not up to us I'm afraid!!!

I'd like to see a test run of the 65nm BullDozer ES against current AM2 CPUs!!!

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I think releasing 65nm is ASAP for AMD and hopefully performance gains as well.

But when they will actually be ready is not up to us I'm afraid!!!

I'd like to see a test run of the 65nm BullDozer ES against current AM2 CPUs!!!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
There is no news in that article. Thats inquirer style reporting.

I didn't say it was an EETimes article. I didn't say I knew it was a die shot. I didn't say anything other than there is new news about it. If that is a die shot 65nm will be around sooner than later.

It's just exciting news that says, "Hey we don't HAVE to tell you when we tape a chip."

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
K8Ls mobile cousin

I have never understood the "Buy our stuff a year from now" media that both Intel and AMD do from time to time.

The vast vast majority of computer purchases happen from the uninformed, or from those on yearly budgetary time cycles.

Daddy's little girl is going off to college and needs a laptop.... why would AMD run around saying (effectively) "our current chips suck, but in a year we'll have something" - seems like a stupid plan to me...

On the business side, a small business hires some folks and needs a computer or new servers right now.... why would intel run around saying "Netburst sucks, but Conroe rocks if you wait 3 months!"

I remember when "Hammer" was comming out - I think AMD fanboys spent a year and a half NOT buying anything waiting for AMD to sort things out... Damn near killed AMD...

I just don't get it....

That is exactly what Intel said.