Onboard Audigy Problem, need help please

gonk98

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I'm currently using MSI K8n Diamond, it has audigy se onboard
my prob occured when i play chronicles of riddick....
my games crash when i turn on the option for both '3d sound' and 'eax'. The game crash when reloading, then i'm told that the aplication eax.dll is crashed or something like that....
there is no problem if i turn off on of the option i mentioned above....

anybody knows why that prob occured? thx
any suggestion are welcome :)

sorry for my bad english :)

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Unfortuantely onboard sound bites. I see problems like this all the time with different computers with onboard sound. My advice is try to find updated drivers on the web. If there are none available just buy a sound card. You'll be much happier in the long run.

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Disregard the Noob (commanderspockep). I have this same motherboard, this is the only motherboard with on board audio that is good, he failed to read you have a K8N Diamond Plus. The onboard audio on all other boards is built into the chipset and therefore is a cheap-o that depends on the CPU alot more. On this board you actully get a real Creative Audio chip and memory, the same ones on the Audigy SE. These do the audio processing seperatly of the chipset and are connected by a PCIe 1x link. It is like having a seperate sound card that is part of the board. Now as for your porblem, I do agree with commanderspockep on this part, try reinstalling the drivers, I know from expierence EAX3 works on this board.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Disregard the Noob (commanderspockep).

Thanks for the warm welcome. I don't care how good onboard sound is...I'm personally still not convinced. I always recommend that people buy a real sound "card" instead of a sound "chip." That is my take on the issue, if you feel differently on the issue I'm more than willing to hear your opinion. And I'm sure the person asking for help would as well so they can draw on different experiences and knowledge each person has to make an more informed decision.

But what I don't like is how people on these boards resort to name calling and put downs such as noobs or fanboys to back up their opinions. Your logic (if correct) and professionalism should be enough to back up what you say. A put down invalidates and makes your view suspect. I applaud Toms Hardware for starting to clean up this place. But it looks like they need to continue to do a whole lot more.

4745454b

Titan
First, I do agree with commanderspockep. You don't need to insert the put down to make yourself seem smart. Speak the truth, avoid the insults, and people might eventually believe you are smart.
At the same time, I wonder from reading the comments on this subject if Moparman390 and myself realise the truth. Just because its on the motherboard DOESN'T mean its "built in." As moparman390 said, it has its own sound "CPU", memory, and is not a part of the southbridge. It shouldn't take any more CPU cycles then any other sound card. It IS a soundcard, it just happens to be built into the motherboard... In this case, dedicated soundcard = Onboard.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm not a gamer but I'm becoming more and more familiar with Creative's cards. ? Why would you enable 3D sound and EAX? Why not one or the other? Doesn't a games EAX support give it, alone, 3D sound, or do you have to add some other 3D sound to the equation as well... I thought EAX was a stand-alone 3D enviroment enhancement for games. I'm comparing it to trying to use Open GL and Direct 3D simultaneously in the same game...is that done? Not the best comparison but do you get my drift? Correct me, if I'm wrong, as I'm still getting this all down.

halcyon

Splendid
Don't worry about those who put down others...it simply messes with their credibility...and they're likely kids anyways. ...do educated people really act like that in a forum? ...it's part of the culture here and it won't likely change, just be glad you're not like them now and DON't act like them when you've a plethora of information on how many transistors are in the nForce 4's southbridge. :D