Sign in with
Your question

Silent CPU cooler for GA-8N-SLI Pro motherboard

Last response: in Overclocking
June 9, 2006 8:46:45 AM

Hi all,
I've recently built a home theatre PC using the Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Pro, however the system is too noisy using the stock CPU cooler. Now my problem is that with this mobo, is that I think the placement of the northbridge chipset retricts the size of the CPU cooler I can place on the mobo.

Also, do to the fact that mobo is in a HTPC box, I need to blow vertically upwards and I have about 10/11 cm in vertical height for fan/heatsink.

I've been searching for ages to a suitable quiet heatsink for this but I'm at wits end cause I don't want to take a risk and buy something that won't fit, so I'd really appreciate if somebody could help out. Any ideas what others have used with this board.

On a side note, what would you recommend for a quiet northbridge chipset fan. The stock one that came with the board is also a little noisy.

Cheers
June 9, 2006 9:48:24 AM

water cooling??
sythe ninja ???
June 9, 2006 9:54:48 AM

there are also after market NB heat sinks! zalman make em they are quite effective. but not compatible with every mb out there
Related resources
June 9, 2006 1:42:07 PM

Hi,
since the system is a HTPC, I would like the airflow to be vertically up. The Scythe Ninja will blow across horizontally. Plus, I think it's pyhsically too tall for my case. Cheers
June 9, 2006 2:24:37 PM

Zalman do a passive northbridge heatsink. Not sure what's best for the CPU given the restricted height.
June 9, 2006 3:00:05 PM

Yeah, physically I'm very restricted so if anybody out there has used this mobo, cna they let me know of what thy've used. Cheers
June 9, 2006 4:30:41 PM

oh sorry dint read that 10 cm bit.... I would now recomend a zalman 7700 because it is low and fat way less than 10cm ..... it has a fan but it also comes with "fan mate 2" a fan control thingy.

I dont think HTPCs require much processing power thus I would underclock the CPU and turn the fan right down 1000rpm or so.

When you play games OC the CPU and turn up the fan's rpm.

This is the best I can come up with... short of water colling and passive radiator.
June 10, 2006 1:03:19 PM

Thanks Wun911, however do you know if this cooler will actually fit the GA-8N-SLI Pro mobo? It's a 136mm in width

Cheers
Shav
June 19, 2006 9:33:27 PM

Hi all,
does anyone know if the Zalman CNPS8000 will fit this motherboard, GA-8N-SLI Pro. Cheers
Shav
June 19, 2006 10:17:26 PM

Sorry to bring this up, but you most clearly "Failed to plan, so you planned to fail".

Noise output on an HTPC should have been the single biggest consideration when designing and building this box. A great deal of time and effort should have been applied to this subject. The most recent silent gaming box I built for a CAD/Gaming system with 2x Samsung 244T 24" widescreens took me over 20 hours of planning before I was happy to order the parts.

Now - on to your issue.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Thermaltake Sonic Tower might be too large to fit in your case. It is passive - so relies on case air flow.

I hope you have 120mm fans cooling this thing, a passive video card and a very quiet PSU. Because if you don't, it is probably not worth fixing the CPU cooler - as this will merely make the next most noisy thing in the box sound loud...

North bridge cooling MUST be passive in any HTPC box - tiny fans simply can not cool at low rpm - and high rpms make them whine like biotches!

Good luck.

And better planning next time.
June 20, 2006 11:29:24 AM

Thanks for telling me how great you are without answering the question!
:-)

So, is there anybody out there who can help me?
June 20, 2006 9:43:53 PM

I don't think you will find a fan solution that will blow straight up.

Most HSF design force air into the HS to disburst heat, and case fans to help push it out, with an intake to bring in cool air.

Most HTPC cases I've seen have a fan hole above where the CPU should sit to push air to the CPU HSF.

Might help to show the exact case your using to better understand the airflow your system is designed for.

Edit:

Purhaps this HS might do?

XP 120

63mm in height should be able to fit within 10/11 cm. Fan could be added in later since it doesn't come with one.
June 20, 2006 10:28:52 PM

Found another HS.

This one would be a pain to put on, and may not line up correctly.

Just thought I'd show it though:

Silverstone SST-NTO1V2.0

Kinda looks like it would work in that design. But without actually seeing how it would fit, is another story. :lol: 

The height is what might not be good: 105mm (that might be cutting it close, but bending the pipes to make it fit might be okay)

And where the CPU sits to line up with the exhaust fans may present another problem.. heh
June 21, 2006 7:52:04 AM

Wow, never seen HS like that before. Very interesting design if it would fit but it's a big gamble to take
!